MGSV Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

MGSV Thread

Postby Tacos_yay » 01 Sep 2015, 17:40

What a strange game.

Its refreshing to play an MGS game again, as it has been 8 years since MGS4. I just played the first 2 hours, and I have some complements and some complaints.
First, the non-spoiler stuff:
It says a lot about hideo kojima's ego that there is a credits sequence after EVERY mission. And of course he appears in the credits sequence multiple times.
I like the gameplay in general, but I think a lot of it was 'inspired' by the Far Cry method of gameplay. Strongholds and villages filled with enemies, mark your targets and choose your own route. And the map is not really open world. There is a big world, but its cut up with mission barriers. When you choose a mission, your sent into a slice of the map, and cannot leave that slice. Its kind of annoying. Also a word of warning, the PC version has no mouse support in the menus.

For people who HAVE played the first two hours:
Remember like 8 years ago that opening would have caused controversy? A sequence where you watch people gun down civilians? Now it got no publicity. And that opening made no sense. I mean, I wasn't expecting to make sense, but I was kind of taken aback by the sheer vacuum of sense. What is happening? Who are these people? Why is that guy of fire? Another thing that annoyed me was the fake character creator. I agonized over that terrible character creator, thinking it would have some gameplay effect, but no.
I'll play alot more of it today, get farther in the plot.
optimusjamie
First Video: Papers, Please

Re: MGSV Thread

Postby optimusjamie » 23 Oct 2015, 07:19

Is MGSV worth playing for someone who's never played a Metal Gear game before? I'm not completely new- I do know what a Metal Gear is, after all, but I'm just wondering.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Oct 2015, 09:02

Watching people stream it, as someone who doesn't know what a Metal Gear is, it looks like a very fun game even if you're unfamiliar with the series. My understanding is that the overall MGS plot is nigh-incomprehensible anyways, so you don't lose much if you're just starting out here (and chronologically, it's one of the earlier games in the story anyways).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 27 Oct 2015, 07:58

optimusjamie wrote:Is MGSV worth playing for someone who's never played a Metal Gear game before? I'm not completely new- I do know what a Metal Gear is, after all, but I'm just wondering.

Don't need to play the previous games. I've played the other 4 numbered MGS games and 10 hours of this one, and still have no clue what's going on. Read the timeline and it was no help :P

The gameplay is solid and very fun. The "credits" are really annoying and can spoil boss fights, so try to ignore them. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed the game. My stealth usually falls apart once in the bases, but really fun to go loud with an airstrike or capture troops with my balloons.

Tacos_yay: I figured "that" was a trick based on gameplay footage but spent a bit of time on it too
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius

Return to “Video Games”