Fantasy Mafia: Game Finished

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Re: Fantasy Mafia: Day 2

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 07:13

(and I'm back, was stuck in a meeting all f**king day at work, and I'm pretty sure I'm dead inside now)

Jamfalcon wrote:Merchant (Smeghead? Not claimed, but a logical pairing with blacksmith)

Actually I did say I was the merchant back on page 6 (it was in my role PM quote)

Kapol wrote:
(a bit off topic but it always bothered me about mafia games where-in the Mayor is a secret role. Like did no one know who won the election?).

I actually asked Mono_Snorsh if I was going to be a known role for that very reason. It seemed odd that I'd be elected but unknown. I'm guessing the 'put everyone in hoods' part was meant to kind of hide that fact.

It was more just a general mafia question as most mafia games has a Mayor, but it is always kept a secret somehow.

Anyway in regards to the necromancer I’m in agreement with Robot hat it isn’t a problem at the moment; mafia is priority 1 as the necromancer cannot do night-kills.

As for voting, it’s a bit of a mess. If I follow Robo’s vote then that accomplishes nothing; ducky still gets lynched and Metric goes free. If I vote for Memo I create another stalemate, wherein we might end up with no lynching at all -aiding the mafia- and this day has gone on for…a while.
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 23 Oct 2015, 08:25

Smeghead wrote:Anyway in regards to the necromancer I’m in agreement with Robot hat it isn’t a problem at the moment; mafia is priority 1 as the necromancer cannot do night-kills.

As for voting, it’s a bit of a mess. If I follow Robo’s vote then that accomplishes nothing; ducky still gets lynched and Metric goes free. If I vote for Memo I create another stalemate, wherein we might end up with no lynching at all -aiding the mafia- and this day has gone on for…a while.

If you and Robo both vote to lynch Memo you could still change the outcome without tying the. We still have a decent shot at winning regardless of which enemy's lynched first, just so long as they're all lynched, so I won't object if that's your decision.

Again: if anyone wants me to paste in my investigation result PMs, I can do that.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Oct 2015, 08:32

Sure, given that Mono_Snorsh said that they'll all be accurate, I'd be curious to hear.

Also, just a heads up to everyone, I'll be travelling today and on the road for a good while, so I might not be as active as usual.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Mono_Snorsh
First Video: .

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 23 Oct 2015, 08:50

Jamfalcon wrote:Sure, given that Mono_Snorsh said that they'll all be accurate, I'd be curious to hear.

I just said that any abilities are reliable on their end. So no cop sanities, no chances of failure, nothing like that.
MetricFurlong

Postby MetricFurlong » 23 Oct 2015, 08:56

Okay then, here's the one from the first night:

You watch someone with a slight limp, unnoticeable to someone without your finely honed skills of observation, walk home. When they have definitely fallen asleep you sneak in and check for signs of treason. Fortunately they are Town. After the first events of the Day you will notice by the limp that the person you investigated is the person with the codename Korvys.

And here's the one from last night:

You turn your skills to the defense of the town starting with Duckay. You ask various members about Duckay's history in the town. Things seem normal until by chance someone mentions a travelling knight you were somewhat familiar with through your mercenary cover having asked similar questions of Duckay. He mysteriously left his companions without a word some time ago, yet the villagers here claim that they saw him the day before the morning his party left for the city the party arrived in without him. They also claim that Duckay would have been the last to see him. Clearly this fiend killed an honourable knight to cover up some some secret. Duckay is Anti-Town.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 09:00

MetricFurlong wrote:If you and Robo both vote to lynch Memo you could still change the outcome without tying the. We still have a decent shot at winning regardless of which enemy's lynched first, just so long as they're all lynched, so I won't object if that's your decision.

You seemed to miss the point I was making; where in thinning the mafia's numbers (or even wiping them out) takes priority over killing a potentially hostile player who cannot kill anyone. So killing Memo now would only aid the mafia
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Oct 2015, 09:07

Mono_Snorsh wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:Sure, given that Mono_Snorsh said that they'll all be accurate, I'd be curious to hear.

I just said that any abilities are reliable on their end. So no cop sanities, no chances of failure, nothing like that.

Right, my bad. Accurate unless Duckay is a false positive, then, which I feel like she would've just claimed.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 11:54

(I'm gonna head off to bed early (Think I'm about to get a cold), but you guys will probably provide me with a further 3 pages of stuff by the time I get back in the morning before the 'day' ends)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Oct 2015, 13:44

Smeghead wrote:You seemed to miss the point I was making; where in thinning the mafia's numbers (or even wiping them out) takes priority over killing a potentially hostile player who cannot kill anyone. So killing Memo now would only aid the mafia

If we're guaranteed to finish off the mafia, I'd choose them over Memo for sure. But I still am/wasn't sure between the two options (and that's assuming that none of the other players are lying). But if there's only one mafia and we miss, or there's actually two mafia like some believe, then I'm more worried about the role that messes with our knowledge. With our choices narrowed down, it feels like the best choice is to get rid of the known 'mafia' member.

Personally, I think that keeping Memo alive is better for the mafia than it is for the town. The way I see it, it allows them to put suspicion on already 'proven' innocents if they do end up failing. Plus, it means that there's going to be someone that the town has to deal with. If our numbers continue to dwindle, he'll act as kind of a time bomb. And even if we get rid of him, at that point, there very well could be a zombie left amongst us. And then we have a day or two to figure out who they are.

But that's just me. And obviously, people seem to be disagreeing with me on it.

That said, I'm curious if Duckay can provide their investigation PMs. At this point, everyone seems to be sharing that stuff anyways. And that's about the only defense she can have that I can think of.

I will say that, like many others, I'm not going to be available for a while, as I'm going to practice Magic for a while.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Oct 2015, 14:17

We've got to play to our win-cons, so you've got a point about your "time bomb" analogy, Kapol. But imagine you've got both a time bomb (set to go off in 4 hours) and a sniper aimed to kill you immediately if you make the wrong move? You're safe currently, so you might think defusing the bomb would be the best bet. But if you don't know what moves are safe from the sniper or not, you might end up getting yourself killed sooner rather than later. So, if you've got a shot to possibly take out the sniper, I'd say take them out, then worry about the bomb.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MetricFurlong

Postby MetricFurlong » 23 Oct 2015, 15:08

Kapol wrote:Personally, I think that keeping Memo alive is better for the mafia than it is for the town.

Consider that Smeghead and Robo don't just need the town to win, they need the town to win and still both be alive when that happens. This means that eliminating a killing role is by far their highest priority and Memo can't kill. So while removing him makes a town victory more likely it isn't likely increase the chances of the secret society surviving until the end.

As for a town perspective, yeah, leaving Memo alive is a risk, but even if he does manage to predict who the mafia are targeting unless the revenant has a kill ability (which seems a little too over-powered given that Memo and his minions can communicate to be likely) Town can still potentially handle with it. I certainly don't think that's a bigger risk than hoping that the rest of town can identify and lynch two wereweagles given how reluctant they've been to commit to votes today.
Last edited by MetricFurlong on 23 Oct 2015, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Oct 2015, 15:09

I mean, I certainly can, for what good it will do. Here we go:

You case the temple and sneak in when the priest leaves for a moment.

Korvys
Role: Priest
Faction: Town
Win Condition: Town faction wins

You are a devout priest of the god of cats. You can extend the protection of your temple to others.

Sanctuary: Each Night except for Night 0 you, as an Action, may take another player and keep them in the temple. While there they cannot be targeted by anyone with any abilities but also cannot target anyone with any abilities. They will receive a PM report that "The priest kept you protected in the temple this night". If a Revenant is targeted with this ability they will be killed. Priority 0.

The priest returns just after you get out. Your keen senses detect a faint smell of fish, food for local stray cats no doubt, that allows you to identify that the priest is the one known by the codename Korvys when the events of the Day happen.

You decide to check out Jamfalcon. Regrettably you are unable to find Jamfalcon at their house. Sleuth ability fails.

I admit, I'm a little disappointed that MonoSnorsh outright denied my speculation. I mean, it was only speculation, and it's his game so he can confirm or deny what he likes, but it seems to me like half the fun is puzzling out different theories.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 23 Oct 2015, 19:02

Duckay wrote:I admit, I'm a little disappointed that MonoSnorsh outright denied my speculation. I mean, it was only speculation, and it's his game so he can confirm or deny what he likes, but it seems to me like half the fun is puzzling out different theories.

I only said that because it was guaranteed to not exist in the opening post.

Mono_Snorsh wrote:all of your role powers are entirely dependable on their end and will never have only a chance of working or provide deliberately false information

I won't be denying speculation for most stuff (and haven't as the amount of speculation so far would suggest) but the whole point of guaranteeing mechanics won't exist is so that people won't have to speculate about them.
Last edited by Mono_Snorsh on 23 Oct 2015, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 23 Oct 2015, 19:14

Votecount
Current Lynch Target:
Extend Votes: 1/4
Shorten Votes: 0/4

Votes for each player
AdmiralMemo: 2 (Duckay and Kapol)
Duckay: 3 (MetricFurlong, Jamfalcon and AdmiralMemo)
Smeghead:
MetricFurlong: 1 (Robo4900)
Jamfalcon:
Robo4900:
Kapol:

Each player's votes
AdmiralMemo: Duckay
Duckay: AdmiralMemo
Smeghead:
MetricFurlong: Duckay, Extend
Jamfalcon: Duckay
Robo4900: MetricFurlong
Kapol: AdmiralMemo
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 23 Oct 2015, 20:38

Well then, good luck everyone.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 23 Oct 2015, 21:36

But imagine you've got both a time bomb (set to go off in 4 hours) and a sniper aimed to kill you immediately if you make the wrong move?

In that situation, I'd go with the sniper. If only because I can make a lot of distance in four hours. :p Trouble is, that's not that accurate. A more accurate analogy would be a sniper you know about against someone who's trying to convince your best friend to stab you in the back. Like I said, we have the options on mafia pretty nailed down unless there's something twisty going on. You, on the other hand, have the opportunity in switching up the entire game.

The way I see it, I'm going to be searched tonight no matter what. By two people if we go with a vote for you. If I'm mafia, I'd be screwed. Since I'm not, if we hit wrong today, I'm potentially in trouble. If they go after Jam and you don't turn him, that leaves me without anyone to back up my innocence. And given Duckay's behavior and my voting patterns, I'd understand the town being less than trusting of me.

Consider that Smeghead and Robo don't just need the town to win, they need the town to win and still both be alive when that happens. This means that eliminating a killing role is by far their highest priority and Memo can't kill. So while removing him makes a town victory more likely it isn't likely increase the chances of the secret society surviving until the end.

I doubt either of them are huge targets anyways, unless the mafia has to play around Memo. Also, did it specify that they both had to survive? I remember Robo's said that he did, but I don't remember Smeg's. I guess I should go reread his post.

I certainly don't think that's a bigger risk than hoping that the rest of town can identify and lynch two wereweagles given how reluctant they've been to commit to votes today.

I'm honestly curious why you keep assuming there are two wereweagles. If that is the case, yeah, we're in a bad spot. But then again, unless you AND Duckay are part of that group, that means someone else is lying. I know it isn't me, and everyone else has been pretty convincing.

Plus, it seems like both of the mafia groups has some kind of power role, unless you or Duckay are just making up your results. If so... then, well, good job, because I believe both of them. Having three power roled mafia in an eight player game seems absurd to me. Especially given one of them is a full-on recruitment role.

At this point, it's likely too late anyways. I just hope that we don't lose because of this mistake.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 23 Oct 2015, 21:39

At least, that's assuming that the third mafia member is also power roled. But even if they aren't, two power roled mafia as well as a third one seems a bit much for eight people.

(Wanted to say that without editing post to clarify.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 21:58

Huh, only half a page added since I went to bed, and very little was actually added.

For our faction; keeping Memo alive at least until tomorrow is strategic, and ultimately the best choice for the town. The chances of that turning south and biting us in the ass is lower than leaving 2 mafias around. And since there has to be at least two mafia members (or else there would have been a chance that the game ended on day 1); killing them off first is the best option.

However, when it comes to finding who is mafia; well that’s always gonna be a problem and a gamble. I can only be sure that Robo is town along with me; others have made good cases for whom they are aligned to, but ultimately someone is lying.

So with that in mind I’m left with a impossible choice. Vote for Memo whom I know is ultimately my enemy but whose death this early would only aid the mafia. But given how the votes are currently stacked it would mean that no one gets majority and there is no lynch; again aiding the mafia.

Vote for Ducky who I cannot trust for the same reason I cannot trust anyway besides Robo and I change nothing as the majority of the votes are already against Ducky and I would only be adding fuel to an already lit flame.

Vote for Metric and will at least make me stand with Robo, but will ultimately be fruitless as it’ll change nothing.

Voting for anyone else would also be pointless.

Having anyone but me, Robo or memo lynched is a gamble at the moment, it’s a 50/50 chance that whomever of the remaining 4 is mafia. As such I’m gonna Vote: MetricFurlong along with Robo.
It won’t change anything unless someone else decides to make a very last minute change vote, but then all my options were either bad or pointless.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 22:05

Kapol wrote: I doubt either of them are huge targets anyways, unless the mafia has to play around Memo. Also, did it specify that they both had to survive? I remember Robo's said that he did, but I don't remember Smeg's. I guess I should go reread his post.

No you are correct, while I do strive towards a Town victory, if I die along the way I lost the game and only end up with a ‘complimentary’ victory if Town wins after my death. But it is still better than a mafia/necromancer victory.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Oct 2015, 22:08

Oh wait you were specifically asking about both of us: no my role PM doesn't meantion both of us. I assume it means that if you die you have lost the game, but not your faction. But even if your other factionmember achieves victory it won't matter to you because you are dead.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Oct 2015, 22:12

Alright, time until Night?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 23 Oct 2015, 22:16

AdmiralMemo wrote:Alright, time until Night?

As of now one hour.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 23 Oct 2015, 22:16

I think I misunderstood what Metric meant. I assumed they were saying 'they need both of them to be alive' rather than 'they both need to be alive.' My bad. Sorry for the confusion.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 23 Oct 2015, 23:16

Duckay has died! Duckay was Anti-Town.

Duckay
Role: Wereweagle Sleuth
Faction: Wereweagle
Win Condition: Wereweagle faction wins
Faction Chat: [REDACTED]

You are a young wereweagle. Like the rest of your pack you suffer from a bloodline curse to transform into a weagle every night. Your packleader brought you to Jerfton because you have experience snooping on townspeople and [REDACTED] you have both become familiar presences in the town. Your cover identity is that of a town guard. The time has now come to take the first step in taking over the town over so it can hide wereweagles from now on.

Your other faction member is [REDACTED].

Nightkill: Your faction has a faction Nightkill. Each Night the packleader will choose one player to kill and which faction member will perform the kill. In Night 0 Mono_Snorsh will be chosen to be killed. Priority 4.

Nightchat: Your faction has a faction chat. You may post in it during Night.

Sleuth: Once each Night, as an Action, you may investigate one player and learn their role. Priority 2.

Twilight arrives. The villagers assemble before the belltower and ask you who you have selected to be killed. You indicate Duckay and they are taken away to gallows. Their hood is removed revealing the town guard. Duckay pleads with the crowd "You know me! I have kept watch on the walls for ages!" but they are resolute. Duckay is forced into the noose and hanged. Duckay's body twists horrifically shifting between human and weagle forms before it finally stops moving. The villagers are relieved at not having killed an innocent townsperson.

The belltower strikes midnight. Night 1 has begun. Send me your Night Actions via PM within 24 hours.
Mono_Snorsh

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 24 Oct 2015, 23:16

Everyone assembles in the morning for another day of debate. Really actually everyone. You file in to the belltower to discuss your strategy given recent events.

Day 2 has begun. In 72 hours Night 2 will begin.

Return to “Video Games”