E3 2016

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

E3 2016

Postby Robo4900 » 12 Jun 2016, 07:35

I know many people like to say "It's a press show" "It's not for the gamers" or "PAX is better", but cool things are always announced, Nintendo's are almost always fun, and Sony's last couple have been great IIRC.
And come on, you can't help but get on the hype train. Over the last few years we've seen a Final Fantasy VII remake, a Battlefront reboot(Even though it didn't turn out so well), Shenmue 3, and Reggie Fils-Aime and Satoru Iwata doing whatever the hell this was. And this thing. And this thing. And of course, this.
So, I'm sure that at the very least, we'll have some laughs this year.

Here's the schedule for the conferences: (Using UTC because that's the one everyone uses for relative times)

12th of June - 8PM UTC: EA
13th of June - 2AM UTC: Bethesda
13th of June - 4:30PM UTC: Microsoft
13th of June - 6:30PM UTC: PC gaming show
13th of June - 8PM UTC: Ubisoft
14th of June - 12:30PM UTC: Sony
14th of June - 6:45PM UTC: Square Enix

Also worth noting is that Nintendo will be doing two 6-hour livestreams, first one is two hours before Square Enix's(So you might want to switch to Square's, and then go back to Nintendo's if you want to maximise viewing), second one is 5PM the next day, also lasting 6 hours.

So, what are people's thoughts/hopes/predictions?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: E3 2016

Postby Kapol » 12 Jun 2016, 07:44

If I remember correctly, Nintendo said their main focus during this E3 is going to be Zelda U. Which... I'm excited for Zelda, don't get me wrong. But the number of the delays, including the fact that it seems like the Wii U version is going to be pushed back so the 'Zelda U' can launch on the NX at the same time, has killed the hype of it for me. The only other thing they might show that we know about and I care about is Pokémon. And I'm already riding that hype train into atmo.

Beyond Nintendo, I don't tend to get super excited about stuff anymore. I only have Nintendo consoles (well, and a Vita, but Sony seems to have forgotten about it). And most of the big releases we could hear about I either don't care about or am already hyped for (Deus Ex, Persona 5, etc).

So for me, I just look forward to some announcements for games that won't come out for 2-3 years.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Jun 2016, 09:12

So that's a Skyrim remake then.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Jun 2016, 06:54

Crash Bandicoot 1 to 3 coming out as a remake for PS4.

Honestly, is that all that's coming to us these days? Remakes?
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jun 2016, 14:18

Pokemon Sun and Moon will have a new battle mode Battle Royal.

4 player free-for-all. I will probably go for the tactic of "dragging people down with me if I lose". So moves like Destiny Bond, Perish Song and Explosion. Mwhahahahahaah.

Or send in a tank Pokemon and Damage Over Time all my opponents.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 14 Jun 2016, 14:21

Darkobra wrote:Crash Bandicoot 1 to 3 coming out as a remake for PS4.

I'm guessing that's their way of testing the waters for a proper comeback. I have nothing positive to say about the Skyrim remake though.

That VR Star Trek game looks really cool.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Jun 2016, 14:57

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Pokemon Sun and Moon will have a new battle mode Battle Royal.

4 player free-for-all. I will probably go for the tactic of "dragging people down with me if I lose". So moves like Destiny Bond, Perish Song and Explosion. Mwhahahahahaah.

Or send in a tank Pokemon and Damage Over Time all my opponents.

From what I've heard, as soon as any Pokémon faints, it ends. I think that's to kind of discourage the 'tank and win' tactic. But I read that on the Nintendo subreddit so take it with a pinch of salt.

Personally, nothing huge stood out to me. Zelda looks great. But I've mentioned my problems with getting excited over it. Pokémon looks great. But I was riding that train already.

Halo Wars getting a sequel was very surprising to me. Not because the first was bad. But because it felt like it just kind of happened. I like the push Microsoft seems to be making for having games on PC as well as Xbox. I wonder if it won't be long before the Xbox platform itself might be pushed back for a more PC-like device... though thinking on it, that seems to have already happened to some degree.

Ubisoft didn't really present anything that I've seen that excited me. Steep seems like it's neat. But it's not a genre I care about. Beyond that it seemed like more of the same. But... why are they making a Watch Dogs movie? That kind of flabbergasted me. They haven't even seen if Assassin's Creed is going to do well (my personal guess is that it won't). Watch Dogs just seems like a strange IP to go to film right now. Hell, Far Cry seems like a better fit to me. I guess it's just easier to make a 'hacker' movie set in a real city.

I haven't seen a ton of the Sony conference. The Detroit game seems really interesting to me though. The lack of Persona 5 news was disappointing, unless I missed it. As someone who dislikes hack and slash games, God of War doesn't really interest me. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else is worth mentioning.

The only actual complaint I have though is the big VR push that seems to be happening. I actually think it's a good thing, since VR isn't going to take off without support. But I've yet to see a real 'killer app' for it. And with Sony and Microsoft making their own (assumedly proprietary) VR, the number of options and limitations each comes with is going to hurt. If it's not proprietary, then it might work out to be fine. I just get the feeling it's going to go the way of motion controls. And honestly, I don't want to see that happen.

EDIT: Actually, one game that really caught my eye is We Happy Few. It looks kind of like Bioshock, and I mean that as a compliment. The only thing I worry about is procedural generation. Personally, I'm getting kind of tired of that function in games. I'd rather see a sculpted world rather than one thrown together. But I'm going to hold out hope for it.
Last edited by Kapol on 14 Jun 2016, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Jun 2016, 14:59

Robo4900 wrote:
Darkobra wrote:Crash Bandicoot 1 to 3 coming out as a remake for PS4.

I'm guessing that's their way of testing the waters for a proper comeback. I have nothing positive to say about the Skyrim remake though.

Really? Why not? I'm personally disappointed it's not Oblivion but this actually looks better than even mods have done to it.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 14 Jun 2016, 15:27

Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 16 Jun 2016, 13:48

Darkobra wrote:Really? Why not? I'm personally disappointed it's not Oblivion but this actually looks better than even mods have done to it.
Yeah, but the game is barely 5 years old. There was nothing wrong with the original, so a remake is completely unnecessary, and just a blatant bid for them to wring the last profit they can make from that game by just doing a small graphical upgrade, as is the trend nowadays.

Kapol wrote:I like the push Microsoft seems to be making for having games on PC as well as Xbox. I wonder if it won't be long before the Xbox platform itself might be pushed back for a more PC-like device... though thinking on it, that seems to have already happened to some degree.
Agreed.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 21 Jun 2016, 15:05

It should have been Oblivion. I realised I'm not happy with Skyrim. I want The Imperial City. Proper Brotherhood quests. A world to see. It should have been Oblivion.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 23 Jun 2016, 09:37

Agreed -- Skyrim looks fine, meanwhile Oblivion looks like a complex lattice of butts by today's standards.

Return to “Video Games”