Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 01 Oct 2008, 11:15

I'm tempted to buy it but I've already spent my gaming budget for this month cos freaking Red Alert 3 is so damn expensive. Although apprantly Red Alert 3 now comes with some sort of hat for warhammer online, if you pre-order.

(Its so expensive cos I bought the preimum tin. Theres something about getting a game in a tin thats so appealing to me.)
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 01 Oct 2008, 11:19

Corax wrote:
dark_realm wrote:all these reviews make me want to buy it right now...

same, but i wanna be destruction, damn you allen, idk witch hunters look like badasses too

Witch hunters are badass, and I'm really tempted to roll one up. They tend to rape my roommate in RvR, hands down(but he's a shadow warrior, and I think almost all melee rape them in RvR).

I'm interested this mostly because of the Public Quests. I've heard good things about them and they look like the only thing in MMO's nowadays that might make Blizzard look over and go 'wow we should have done that'.

Public Quests are really cool. It's like if WoW had a mini-instance outdoors, where anybody could walk in and join, and get a shot at the loot.

There are specific areas in each 'Chapter'(each race has its own story, and each story has its own chapter, which I guess we can call 'zones' if you want to refer to WoW or EQ) that are sectioned off to allow for a unique sort of 'Hey what are you guys doing?' event.

Each Public Quest(PQ) has three stages that must be completed before a certain time is up(this is not true of the first stage, which, obviously, has the longest objective). The first stage is simple and long, with a lot of small no-name enemies. The second stage tends to be a bit more difficult, with what's known as the 'Champion' class of enemies, while the third pits you usually against a single 'Hero' or 'Lord' class enemy, with a couple of regular minions tagging alongside him.

At the end of it, anybody within the area of the PQ is granted a chance at loot. A certain number of 'loot' bags are distributed by modified roll at the end of the PQ's third stage. Your roll is modified by a) how many times you've done the same PQ without getting any loot(cumulative) and b) your direct contribution to the PQ itself, be it damage, healing or strategical prowess(like me, when I rock out and solo a PQ because I am goddamned Jesus). The higher your roll, the better the loot bag you get.

In each loot bag is a set of items. The top item is, obviously, the best one. But it contains all of the items from the lower quality loot bags meaning that if you already HAVE the blue(or epic) item out of the top slot, you might want the green slot out of the bottom, so you can choose whateverthehellyouwant.

Now, there are SOME complaints with this system, but this comes mostly from crybabys:
'You can just afk and win the top roll.'

While this is, in a way, true, but it's such a small thing that it doesn't matter. The highest quality loot bag is often handed out in multiples, and each class has their own loot within their own bag(so an engineer will not draw White Lion gear out of a bag).

PQs are also good ways to meet random people and just hang out. It's also really good 'influence' which is basically reputation in your current chapter. The higher your influence, the better rewards you get(and when you claim all your influence rewards you unlock a quest, yay!)
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 01 Oct 2008, 14:34

Allen, knowing that I'm a huge PvE whore for WoW, and how I like phat loot (ie - Diablo) do you think I would like this game?
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 01 Oct 2008, 14:50

Brinson wrote:Allen, knowing that I'm a huge PvE whore for WoW, and how I like phat loot (ie - Diablo) do you think I would like this game?

This I'm not totally certain of. Crafting seems to be mostly temporary benefits(talisman slots that confer a skill bonus for a number of hours/days before they expire), so there isn't(yet) a lot of loot to be gained by that way.

I've found I complete a lot of quests and PQs sheerly for loot potential, but is it a loot whore friendly game? That I'm not entirely certain of. If you can get an install of the game, I could lend you my account some and you could muck around, see if you're into it.

Also, the game is RIFE with achievements. Literally everywhere. You talk to a guy, that's an achievement. You walk into an area, that's an achievement. Kill a player, achievement. ACHIEVEMENTS FOR EVERYBODY.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 01 Oct 2008, 15:34

Allen! wrote:Also, the game is RIFE with achievements. Literally everywhere. You talk to a guy, that's an achievement. You walk into an area, that's an achievement. Kill a player, achievement. ACHIEVEMENTS FOR EVERYBODY.

At least theses achievements aren't lame like Wraths'. You do get EXP and Titles for most achievements in WAR. Wrath just has over 700 ones that make your epenis look bigger
Cheeseonfire

Postby Cheeseonfire » 01 Oct 2008, 15:50

Evisr wrote:
achievements are lame

Basically.
I'm still trying to figure out why someone didn't tell me how awesome Muse is.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Oct 2008, 16:56

so i purchased the game, and ill be rolling [IDK WHAT CLASS] on [some server]. Chaos looks tempting and fuckin Goblin look like fun too! (btw for the record i have some of the tabletop warhammer figures, too bad lizardmen arent in WAR).

is it true that all people who play "good" are like THIS and all people who play "evil" are like THAT? if so ill prolly pick evil based on my experience in guilds in WoW.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 01 Oct 2008, 18:57

I haven't noticed any 'this' and 'that' yet. I know that Chaos outfuckingnumbers Order by like six billion. Also greenskins are awesome.

And I wanted Skaven. :(
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Oct 2008, 22:54

i wanted skaven too, but i settled for greenskins

Name Corx
Faction Destruction
Server Wurtbad (i guess this will be our destruction server??? btw its open RVR)
Class Goblin Shaman
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 02 Oct 2008, 01:07

I picked it up a few days after launch and have had a blast with it. I love that I can do RvR from level 2, and it just drops me wherever I entered. Non of this having to sit at IF for hours to do AV, just quest, do an RvR then quest until the next one pops

only done really low level stuff and my account is current locked up in the system for some reason, still wating on support to work it out. But I honestly don't think I am going back for Wrath. Just don't like the play style compared to this. I can run and shoot at the same time. That just felt like a huge thing for me.

And you know Witch Hunters are the bomb
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 02 Oct 2008, 06:12

my mate and i bought it today, hopefully get it soon!
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 02 Oct 2008, 11:01

i guess roll on Wurtbad if ur want to be Destruction and roll on Dark Crag if you want to be Order
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 02 Oct 2008, 11:06

PS im level 6 at the moment with my Goblin Shaman, and this class is hella fun, for example you can do up to 5 healing spells in a row and then the next damage spell you do will be better, and vice versa. i think the Archmage has the same system.

also checkout www.WarDB.com (its like thottbot for WAR)
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 03 Oct 2008, 09:20

It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 03 Oct 2008, 14:02

Red Charlie wrote:City Siege Epic fail

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ling-Marks

this is why you dont play on Order, join Destruction! with me! muhahahahahhahaha (also cuz goblins are 1337 enough to have me play on a different server than everyone else) join Destruction on Wurtbad.
Scone

Postby Scone » 08 Oct 2008, 20:14

That must be disappointing for the people of Destruction too. If everything can be done in a night, it must certainly feel more like the endlessly restarting conflict of TF2 rather the EPIC war that Mythic had planned it to be.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 08 Oct 2008, 20:56

eh, it will be fixed, in the meantime most people are still leveling. also does anyone know how to find groups for instances? seems impossible
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 09 Oct 2008, 01:03

Allen! wrote:I'm currently on Dark Crag as a Warrior-Priest, and holy fuck do I love it. There's so much awesome in this game, and I've only played two goddamned classes so far! I'm so excited to explore this game, it's driving me nuts.

I'm looking forward to busting out a Chaos side eventually, but I started Order because it's the underdogs at the current time(which is what Horde was when I started playing WoW)

OK FINE I MADE A CHAR ON DARK CRAG

i aws watching the intro movie and i was like "holy fuck i want to be a bright wizard now" im thinkin up a name atm and ill try and catch up to you dude

also, Allen, post ur char's name
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 09 Oct 2008, 01:35

My warrior priest is Magnusson. I have no idea what my main is, I play all over the place. Haha.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 09 Oct 2008, 03:02

Allen! wrote:My warrior priest is Magnusson. I have no idea what my main is, I play all over the place. Haha.

yea i got afew chars myself, so far i love the Bright Wiz mechanic, it might be my main, idk, hopefully we can all end up on the same server

my Bright Wiz is named Corik
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 09 Oct 2008, 03:34

poo maitenence, ok atleast its for a patch.

to elaborate on the Bright Wizard mechanic a bit, heres how it works. every offensive spell gives you Combustion, the more combustion you have the higher your crit chance is, (with max combustion its 50% crit) and your crits do more damage BUT you have a higher chance to deal damage to yourself! so this turns the typical "Glass Cannon" mage into a "Paper Mache Nuclear Bomb" but really, this is what every mage wanted to be in the first place. anyways its a lot of fun and if you are having trouble choosing what class to roll you should research the "special mechanic" of each class, its what makes classes of the same archetype (Melee, Ranged DPS, Tank, Healer) differentiated from one race to the next.

seriously, you can 2-3 shot people if you have 100 combustion and a bit of luck.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 09 Oct 2008, 06:48

fucken hell, first last night i had to download the 210mb patch and got to play it for 2 hours, then tonight i cant play cause of the servers updating.. so far the downtime is ghey.. if it doesnt pick up i dont think i will like this game.. maybe i just joined at a bad time...

Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 09 Oct 2008, 07:00

dark_realm wrote:fucken hell, first last night i had to download the 210mb patch and got to play it for 2 hours, then tonight i cant play cause of the servers updating.. so far the downtime is ghey.. if it doesnt pick up i dont think i will like this game.. maybe i just joined at a bad time...

seems like its just bad luck, this is the only time i havent been able to play when i wanted to. also, does Australia have their own servers? or did u make on Dark Crag?
Scone

Postby Scone » 09 Oct 2008, 11:21

dark_realm wrote:fucken hell, first last night i had to download the 210mb patch and got to play it for 2 hours, then tonight i cant play cause of the servers updating.. so far the downtime is ghey.. if it doesnt pick up i dont think i will like this game.. maybe i just joined at a bad time...

When WoW started up, it was this bad for MONTHS. If that's the only thing you find not pleasurable about the game, you should stick with it because the ridiculous downtime will go away.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 10 Oct 2008, 06:06

Corax wrote:seems like its just bad luck, this is the only time i havent been able to play when i wanted to. also, does Australia have their own servers? or did u make on Dark Crag?

ahhhrg! oceanic servers down again tonight! wtf! i think imma roll a charater on dark crag now...

Return to “Video Games”