Guitar Hero World Tour

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Guitar Hero World Tour

Postby InsaneFool » 31 Oct 2008, 07:40

I picked this up on launch day for the Wii...I had to get in line at a Toys'r'us at 8:30 for 10am opening to do it, but I managed to get my hands on it.

Unfortunately I was one of the unluckier people with the busticated drum set...not as bad as some, my one cymbal works, but I have to hit it really hard to get it to register.

That being said, Activision has stepped up...releasing software to tune the drums and sending free MIDI-USB cables to pretty much anyone that asks. Unfortunately on all the other message boards and blogs I read, its nothing but Haters and Rock Band fanboys.

I mean, I don't have a problem with Rock Band, I've played plenty of it on my brother-in-law's 360 and love it...but Harmonix/MTV has essentially snubbed the Wii, and since that is the only console I own, GH gets my business.

That being said, anyone else get this yet? or have intentions to get it for any of the platforms?
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Nov 2008, 02:42

Buying a Xbox 360 just for this game.

As some of you might know, Rock Band 1 is ABOUT (nov. 7th) to be released in this country. Who in Gods name would be foolish enough to buy RB1 when World Tour (Released nov 12th) is the competition to Rock Band 2?

Seriously, I can't WAIT for World Tour. I played Rock Band at an anime convention a couple of months back, me and the chick I went with spent four and a half hours on the damned game - we never got off it. :P Nobody wanted the vocals for the majority of it so we just swapped between the two of us. MAN was my throat soar by the end of it, 'cause we both sang through each others songs to help support each other.

BTW: I never want to hear Deep Purples "Highway Star" again. :P

Regardless, OMG WT. *Runs around madly in excitement*

Disclaimer: I'm not a fanboy, I'd quite happily buy Rock Band if they'd release 2 here within any kind of reasonable time.

Edit: So, pray tell - what's it like???? Opinions? Quick review? Comparison to Rock Band? (Might as well, everyone else on the internet has.)
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 01 Nov 2008, 11:49

Well, unfortunately I have it all sitting in my basement, but I am unable to play it purely on principle.

Obviously I wanted the game, but I am also a poor student so it was hard to justify spending $230 on the full band set. The obvious solution was to get it for Christmas...my plan was to pre-order it and have the store call my parents and they pick it up and no worries. Unfortunately EB Games are a bunch of assholes and don't order enough units for the amount of people that pre-order.

However after I read about all the issues with the drums, my will broke and I opened it up and tried out the drums and new guitar.

That being said I only played through the drum tutorial (where I found my one cymbal was defective), and the tutorial for the new guitar features.

Guitar!
  • Gameplay is essentially the same
  • the StarPower button is welcome.
  • The new Whammy is bigger and easier to access but can be obtrusive.
  • Touch pad is awesome - using it to tap out certain notes, or tap-strumming + wah-wah effects

Drums!
  • Other than the sensitivity issues: Drums are AWESOME
  • They feel like playing drums with the elevated high-hat and crash cymbal
  • Having played Rock Band definitely helps, but there is an even easier Beginner mode for those that haven't played any sort of rhythm

Unfortunately I didn't try vocals or bass.
As for the set list, I personally bought the whole thing for the 3 Tool songs, plus Korn and System.
Follow me on Twitter
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Nov 2008, 16:25

Danggit, EVERYONE'S having issues with their drums. Now I'm seriously worried if I'm going to have issues with mine when they get here. 0.o

You know that they've released a program to tune the sensitivity of your drums? Apparently that's helped everyone who's tried it so far.

Activision will even give you the USB to MIDI cable for free, it'll just take a few days for shipping.

That sucks about EB's not pre-ordering enough....man, that seems like a REALLY stupid thing to do - wonder who fugged that one up?

Also, there's a quick fix answer to the sensitivity of the drum kits here on this youtube vid. Basically, get some tape and put it half way or full way across the sensor so it acts as a membrane picking up the vibrations better.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 01 Nov 2008, 16:38

Yeah I watched that YouTube video...amazing eh?

And as for the MIDI cable, I ordered mine on Thursday...I've got the program downloaded and installed just waiting :lol:
Follow me on Twitter
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 02 Nov 2008, 03:04

You didn't mention what console you're getting it on, the 360 I assume? When I get Live (MIGHT not be until after Christmas truth be told 'cause this is sending me pretty damned broke...borrowing cash from friends to pay for it. :P) we'll DEFINATELY have to play this baby together...assuming you've got Live too 'course. :)

Personally when it comes to the four instruments I'm looking forward to vocals the most. Simply 'cause being able to lead a band is awesome and it might help me a little in my real band I'm in, even if I'm just backing vocals. (I play guitar full time.)

Edit: Oh come on, we can't be the only two on the forums getting this game. Aren't there any other folks, especially Australians, around who are opting to get this instead of Rock Band or with RB? SHAME people, SHAME! :(
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 Nov 2008, 04:19

I was considering getting this for Xmas but as fancy as full character customization and a touch pad on the guitar neck and other features are. The soundtrack is freaking garb*tch in my opinion and I have no interest in playing after looking at the full selection.

I'll just stick with getting rock band.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 02 Nov 2008, 04:59

Unlucky wrote:You didn't mention what console you're getting it on, the 360 I assume?

Sorry, you assume wrong...I've got it for my Nintendo Wii. The problem for me is that I'm primarily a PC gamer, and don't see the point in spending more money on a console that I'm not going to play many games on (since I have my PC).
I got a Wii because it was fun, innovative, and cheap.
Follow me on Twitter
TheFitz

Postby TheFitz » 03 Nov 2008, 10:28

I'm not sure why people are excited for GH: WT (or, as I refer to it: Neversoft's latest failure). It's the product of Activision's struggle to contend with Harmonix, and they didn't even do it well! Here's my list of complaints:
    -Everyone shares the same Star Power meter.

-If one person fails, everyone fails immediately.

-Star Power activation on the Drums (Hit both cymbals at the same time) makes it almost impossible to get an FC.

-Slider notes on Guitar aren't properly denoted as HO/PO's for those who use previous GH contollers.

-The point scoring system for held chords on Guitar/Bass is broken.

-They butchered 'Satch Boogie' by adding vocals to it, one of which is a Chocolate Rain reference.

-They're trying way too hard to one-up Rock Band.

There are more, but I dont have the time to post them. I will, however, suggest that you not waste your money and get Rock Band 2 instead.
Sig and Avatar by Neclord X (You probably don't know him)
--------------------
PSN ID: ShinobiFerret
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Nov 2008, 11:08

I'm definitely more of a Guitar Hero fan than a Rock Band fan, because I find the GH gameplay and difficulty better. Partly the problem is that I hate the mushy Rock band strum bars, and that I'm used to being able to hold a hammer-on note before the note hits, rather than having to hammer it in the proper timing. (It's a subtle difference that really throws me off in Rock Band because I'm not used to it.)

But I can see how each one has its strengths.

TheFitz wrote:
-Star Power activation on the Drums (Hit both cymbals at the same time) makes it almost impossible to get an FC.

I don't see the problem here. Just activate Star Power in the middle of one of the improv/fill sections. That's the same thing as Rock Band does, except you don't have to wait until the end of the fill to do it if you don't want to.
-Slider notes on Guitar aren't properly denoted as HO/PO's for those who use previous GH contollers.

Do you have to strum each note in the slider portions, then? Or how does this work for the older guitars?
-They butchered 'Satch Boogie' by adding vocals to it, one of which is a Chocolate Rain reference.

Ick. The song doesn't need vocals.
-They're trying way too hard to one-up Rock Band.

Seems logical... That's what competition means, isn't it?
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 03 Nov 2008, 11:25

With the special slider notes, they're clear instead of the white ring around them, you do NOT have to strum, just tap out the notes or even just keep pressure on the area if there is a series of the same note.

However you can also use the touchpad instead of the strum-bar, by tapping anywhere on the touchpad while holding down the proper fret.

Also, you can use the touchpad to make wah-wah effects during sustains, but running your fingers up and down the pad.
Follow me on Twitter
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 03 Nov 2008, 17:47

TheFitz wrote:I'm not sure why people are excited for GH: WT (or, as I refer to it: Neversoft's latest failure). It's the product of Activision's struggle to contend with Harmonix, and they didn't even do it well!

So - Australian = No RB2, barely 1. 1's not compatible with World Tours drums, and no way in hell I'm buying 2 sets of plastic drums.

TheFitz wrote:
    -Everyone shares the same Star Power meter.

Ok, this does piss me off a bit. I'll agree there.
TheFitz wrote:-If one person fails, everyone fails immediately.

This just seems dumb, seriously WTF WT? Mind you, the savings in RB1 barely helped me anyway. I find if someone's sucking usually they have trouble throughout the entire song.

TheFitz wrote:-Star Power activation on the Drums (Hit both cymbals at the same time) makes it almost impossible to get an FC.

Tim's answer seems the most logical. Or, you could...y'know never activate star power for a FC. FC doesn't matter on points does it?

TheFitz wrote:-Slider notes on Guitar aren't properly denoted as HO/PO's for those who use previous GH contollers.

Really? I thought they were? Hrm, might just be a programming glitch?
TheFitz wrote:-The point scoring system for held chords on Guitar/Bass is broken.

In what way? You stop gaining points for holding down the notes or you get too many points for it?
TheFitz wrote:-They butchered 'Satch Boogie' by adding vocals to it, one of which is a Chocolate Rain reference.

Totally agree there. Seriously, eugch. But - simple solution, don't have vocals for that song. I sure as hell am intending not to. (I'm fairly sure if you don't select vocals, they're not there thank GOD.)
TheFitz wrote:-They're trying way too hard to one-up Rock Band.

Well, Rock Band's owning them. Of course they'd try to one up them. :P
TheFitz wrote:There are more, but I dont have the time to post them. I will, however, suggest that you not waste your money and get Rock Band 2 instead.

Get both! They're cross compatible, so why not spend the extra $100 (Aus, probs $50U.S) and get both? If not just for the setlist.

BTW:
InsaneFool wrote:Sorry, you assume wrong...I've got it for my Nintendo Wii. The problem for me is that I'm primarily a PC gamer, and don't see the point in spending more money on a console that I'm not going to play many games on (since I have my PC).
I got a Wii because it was fun, innovative, and cheap.

Dang. That's a shame, oh well....have fun for me will ya? :P

I'm with you on your decision to get a Wii however. Originally I wasn't intending to get a next gen console, but then Rock Band basically came into existance followed by WT and, with no announcements for the PC, I decided to get a 360 'cos atm it's the cheapest in Australia and also 'cos I reckon it's got the best range of games on it.

+ Everyone I know who has a Wii is totally over it, while the people who I know with 360's still love the console.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 Nov 2008, 18:10

Tim wrote:I'm definitely more of a Guitar Hero fan than a Rock Band fan, because I find the GH gameplay and difficulty better. Partly the problem is that I hate the mushy Rock band strum bars, and that I'm used to being able to hold a hammer-on note before the note hits, rather than having to hammer it in the proper timing. (It's a subtle difference that really throws me off in Rock Band because I'm not used to it.)

Guitar Hero adds fake chords when there shouldn't be to make the game artificially harder. It's really, really stupid. REALLY stupid.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 03 Nov 2008, 18:39

JesterJ. wrote:Guitar Hero adds fake chords when there shouldn't be to make the game artificially harder. It's really, really stupid. REALLY stupid.

True, Rock Band has all ways seemed more accurate to me but I don't mind the challenge. Hrm, I wonder if the UK version of Rock Band 2 would work over here? It'd only be the game, so it wouldn't be TOO expensive....

One thing, let's not start a flame war ok? This is basically raging out of control all across the internet, I'd like it not to start here. Let's keep the discussion CIVIL and controlled. :)

Ooooh, I just remembered!!

One very, very major question: The instruments, do they still make that horrible 'Clink, clank, gzzzt YOU'VE FAILED' noises still from the previous Guitar Heroes??
Last edited by Unlucky on 03 Nov 2008, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 03 Nov 2008, 18:52

Unlucky wrote:
TheFitz wrote:-They butchered 'Satch Boogie' by adding vocals to it, one of which is a Chocolate Rain reference.

Totally agree there. Seriously, eugch. But - simple solution, don't have vocals for that song. I sure as hell am intending not to. (I'm fairly sure if you don't select vocals, they're not there thank GOD.)

Not sure about RB2, but in RB(1) the vocals were there, but you could turn them down via an in-game menu.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Nov 2008, 19:36

InsaneFool wrote: Unfortunately EB Games are a bunch of assholes and don't order enough units for the amount of people that pre-order.

what you mean here is "unfortunately EB was not allocated enough copies by activision to cover demand."

EB orders what they want, and the suppliers respond with what they can provide - activision shipped significantly fewer copies to EB than they requested. That was not EB's doing.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 03 Nov 2008, 19:47

Matt wrote:
InsaneFool wrote: Unfortunately EB Games are a bunch of assholes and don't order enough units for the amount of people that pre-order.

what you mean here is "unfortunately EB was not allocated enough copies by activision to cover demand."

EB orders what they want, and the suppliers respond with what they can provide - activision shipped significantly fewer copies to EB than they requested. That was not EB's doing.

-m

Thanks Matt, I figured it mighta been something like that. I mean, the odds of someone not pre-ordering something are pretty low, considering they usually do it right in front of your face. (At least at my local EB's.)

the amativeness wrote:
Unlucky wrote:Totally agree there. Seriously, eugch. But - simple solution, don't have vocals for that song. I sure as hell am intending not to. (I'm fairly sure if you don't select vocals, they're not there thank GOD.)

Not sure about RB2, but in RB(1) the vocals were there, but you could turn them down via an in-game menu.

I was actually referring to Satch Boogie in specific, I dunno about most other songs. Truth be told, I would actually miss the vocals from most other songs if this was the case. Especially in songs such as B.Y.O.B by SOAD wherein it's just fun to hear him go a bit spastic vocally.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 Nov 2008, 20:50

Matt wrote:

-m

So really what he means is "Unfortunately Activision are a bunch of assholes and don't ship enough units for the amount of people that pre-order.", correct?
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 03 Nov 2008, 21:26

tak197 wrote:So really what he means is "Unfortunately Activision are a bunch of assholes and don't ship enough units for the amount of people that pre-order.", correct?

Sounds pretty much like it. Actually, that's kinda funny - even THEY didn't expect their game to sell as well as it is. :P
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 04 Nov 2008, 00:38

Having played both RB2 and GH:WT (between myself and a friend we have 4(!) usable drum kits), I can say that I'm not super happy with either. Speaking strictly about the game, RB2 is effectively not an improvement over RB1 in any way. Well, they introduced chord hammer-ons, and they improved the lag configuration screen. I guess they also added Challenges, but removed the old method of unlocking each difficulty tier. Lame. Other than that, it's just a pack of new songs.

GH:WT is a different beast. I like their guitar a fair bit, especially palm-muting for star power (I've had two broken Rockband guitars that couldn't activate star power). Their drumkit is just flat out broken. The game seems more forgiving of timing errors than RB, but much harsher when it comes to legitimate screw-ups. I found that, although I like WT's system for unlocking new sets, because of the game's zero tolerance for failure, if there's a song that even one person in the band keeps failing part of it sabotages the whole band from ever unlocking new stuff. At least in RB1/RB2 if there's a set you can't pass, you can just go to a different city (or improve your performance on another set) until you've earned enough stars.

The game I'm still waiting for is some kind of hybrid between the two. It would have the Rockband guitar's layout, but the Guitar Hero guitar's clicky strum bar and star power button. It would have a kit that actually works. It would be able to use some kind of microphone/lightgun to auto-calibrate the A/V lag. It would have a method of unlocking songs such that their difficulty increases as you progress, and it wouldn't force you to play the same stuff over and over again.

But, most importantly, it wouldn't have any goddamn Freezepop songs.
None-hit wonder.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 04 Nov 2008, 00:54

forkbomb! wrote:Having played both RB2 and GH:WT (between myself and a friend we have 4(!) usable drum kits), I can say that I'm not super happy with either. Speaking strictly about the game, RB2 is effectively not an improvement over RB1 in any way. Well, they introduced chord hammer-ons, and they improved the lag configuration screen. I guess they also added Challenges, but removed the old method of unlocking each difficulty tier. Lame. Other than that, it's just a pack of new songs.

GH:WT is a different beast. I like their guitar a fair bit, especially palm-muting for star power (I've had two broken Rockband guitars that couldn't activate star power). Their drumkit is just flat out broken. The game seems more forgiving of timing errors than RB, but much harsher when it comes to legitimate screw-ups. I found that, although I like WT's system for unlocking new sets, because of the game's zero tolerance for failure, if there's a song that even one person in the band keeps failing part of it sabotages the whole band from ever unlocking new stuff. At least in RB1/RB2 if there's a set you can't pass, you can just go to a different city (or improve your performance on another set) until you've earned enough stars.

The game I'm still waiting for is some kind of hybrid between the two. It would have the Rockband guitar's layout, but the Guitar Hero guitar's clicky strum bar and star power button. It would have a kit that actually works. It would be able to use some kind of microphone/lightgun to auto-calibrate the A/V lag. It would have a method of unlocking songs such that their difficulty increases as you progress, and it wouldn't force you to play the same stuff over and over again.

But, most importantly, it wouldn't have any goddamn Freezepop songs.

sounds good. get to work, then. chop chop.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 04 Nov 2008, 01:07

One thing I think we can all safely say, thank God neither game is as bad as Rock Revolution has been toted to be.

Imagine if THAT had been the first full band game, I mean....eugch.
TheFitz

Postby TheFitz » 04 Nov 2008, 11:40

the amativeness wrote:
Unlucky wrote:

The song in question is in GH: WT. Harmonix doesn't let the vocalist play instrumental tracks (see: YYZ).

Sig and Avatar by Neclord X (You probably don't know him)

--------------------

PSN ID: ShinobiFerret
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 04 Nov 2008, 11:54

The only thing I find I dislike about RB2 is that they censored Master Exploder. Seriously. Why would you do that?
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 04 Nov 2008, 16:03

JesterJ. wrote:Guitar Hero adds fake chords when there shouldn't be to make the game artificially harder. It's really, really stupid. REALLY stupid.

Just in WT, or do you think they did that in GH3, too? Because I've never noticed anything like that in GH3. (Haven't played most of WT yet.)
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!

Return to “Video Games”