PS3 experiences

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Woland

PS3 experiences

Postby Woland » 17 Nov 2008, 15:50

On a previous podcast, Matt mentioned that he had one of the old PS3s that includes the hardware-enabled backwards-compatibility for the PS2 powered by the Emotion Engine.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the old and the new PS3s and what they thought of the differences. Specifically, I was wondering how well the PS2 graphical upconverting works on the old systems.

Anyone know anything?
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 17 Nov 2008, 16:06

From what I've seen of Matt playing PS2 games on his PS3, it seems like an interesting upward conversion, but not something compelling enough to go out of your way to get one that does that. It is a pretty cool feature, but not a system-seller.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 17 Nov 2008, 17:16

The amount of money you'd save by buying a non-backwards compatible PS3 is more than the amount of money required to buy a used PS2 Slim. Also, if you don't have a Hi-Def compatible TV, your PS2 games will actually look worse than they did on PS2.

Still wondering how long it'll take before a PS2 emulator is available for Linux. Once that happens, install Yellowdog and you're set.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 17 Nov 2008, 18:36

I got a 60GB PS3 with hardware backwards compatibility. it so far hasn't let me down. The only thing the PS3 hasn't let me play is the gameshark...

the PS3 does upconvert PS1 and PS2 games nicely I mainly stick with PS3 games and Blu-ray movies though...the wireless functionality connects to my WPA2 secured network. all in all the PS3 got me to buy a HDTV and enter the HD era :D and it's a solid console. I wish Sony would put the hardware compatibility back in the newer machines...
mosespippy
Location: Enemy Base, 33 Health. No wait! Own base, 100 health

Postby mosespippy » 20 Nov 2008, 08:25

I got a 60 GB PS3 and the only problem I've had is FF12 freezing after a few hours against yiamzat, which never happened when I played it on PS2. I don't have a HDTV so I don't have upscaling turned on.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 20 Nov 2008, 08:53

I wonder if Sony would suprize us and be like oh look! The backwards compatible software is now on PSN!!

Reason why I say this is cause I own a 40GB PS3 with no PS2 backwards compatibility but yet I can still make PS2 memory cards... hmmm
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 20 Nov 2008, 09:43

Evisr wrote:I wonder if Sony would suprize us and be like oh look! The backwards compatible software is now on PSN!!

Reason why I say this is cause I own a 40GB PS3 with no PS2 backwards compatibility but yet I can still make PS2 memory cards... hmmm

given the power of the Cell Processor, and the fact the graphics card was a nice upgrade from anything the PS2 had, I don't see why that'd be impossible, but until Sony announces anything like that I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Nov 2008, 03:36

So, if the PS3 woulda have come down to about $400 here in Aus (As opposed to the $700 they've been sitting on) I woulda gotten a PS3 to compliment my PSX and PS2. Alas though, the 360 won my heart over with it being so rediculously cheap. ($330)

And then 2 days later it dropped $42 in price and you got a free game with it. I got totally owned. :P

Must say though, the PS3 really does have some nice features to it. One of my fav being that you can remove the standard PS3 harddrive and add in ANY Laptop harddrive into it and have it work. I wish the damned 360 had a feature like that, as their custom HD's are rather expensive....(I got the arcade model)

Hopefully the next Sony console is more competitive price wise...or the PS3 gets cheap enough that it can just become a more accessible Blu-Ray player that can compliment the rest of my Sony products.

For the time being however, I'll just sit back and admire how ridiculously awesome the PS3 is from afar. :)
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 28 Nov 2008, 03:57

High price, shit loads of fun. My brother got one for himself when they first came out and I've spent hours at his place playing Metal Gear Solid 4, Lair, Dynasty Warriors 6, Soul Calibur 4, Resistance 1&2, and looking forward to playing Kill-Zone 2.

The beta for KZ2 is addictive enough as it is, can't wait to get my hands on the full version!
Can't wait till we get a Play-station 9 like the old commercials showed.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Nov 2008, 04:22

Holy CRAP that PS9 would be awesome....Must....fantasize....

Btw, ty for reminding me - get Dynasty Warrior 6. ^.^ I totally forgot about that being on my list of games to get for the 360.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 28 Nov 2008, 10:18

does anyone have an extra Home beta code? would you be willing to give it with me?
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 28 Nov 2008, 12:14

Beta-guy wrote:does anyone have an extra Home beta code? would you be willing to give it with me?

Sorry, Already used mine. Reminds me... need to still download it and try it out
mosespippy
Location: Enemy Base, 33 Health. No wait! Own base, 100 health

Postby mosespippy » 28 Nov 2008, 14:10

Beta-guy wrote:does anyone have an extra Home beta code? would you be willing to give it with me?
Don't you get one when you buy QORE? I'm not so excited for Home that I would buy qore to get in, given that open beta is supposed to be out by the end of the year.
Frost

Postby Frost » 28 Nov 2008, 16:07

Beta-guy wrote:
Evisr wrote:I wonder if Sony would suprize us and be like oh look! The backwards compatible software is now on PSN!!

given the power of the Cell Processor, and the fact the graphics card was a nice upgrade from anything the PS2 had, I don't see why that'd be impossible, but until Sony announces anything like that I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Its an the cell processor that limits it. The easy way to think of it is like in a duel core PC, programs that are not programed to use both processors don't its the same with the cell. Where you would need to recode the software to take multi cores into account and that's not something easy to do with emulation. and the main core isn't powerful enough on its own to make up for ps2 programs being coded directly to the hardware specs of the ps2.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 28 Nov 2008, 23:51

I got an invite some one gave it to me, but it was an European code.
bigfatn00b

Postby bigfatn00b » 05 Dec 2008, 00:27

Frost wrote:
Beta-guy wrote:

Its an the cell processor that limits it. The easy way to think of it is like in a duel core PC, programs that are not programed to use both processors don't its the same with the cell. Where you would need to recode the software to take multi cores into account and that's not something easy to do with emulation. and the main core isn't powerful enough on its own to make up for ps2 programs being coded directly to the hardware specs of the ps2.

The PS2 Emotion Engine uses a MIPS architecture, and is multicore as well. Because the cell processor doesn't use the same instruction set, backwards compatability can only be included in one of the 4 following ways:

include PS2 hardware in the system (expensive[ in old ps3's])
write a software layer to translate instructions (prone to quirks and will inevitably leave out some proprietary special functions [what xbox 360 and ps3 do, and why only about 80% of games work at all])
fully emulate the Emotion Engine in software (requires a TON of system resources and will inevitably not be perfect)
or re-compile all games from original source code (but some games have some parts written in machine code to take advantage of special features of the architecture, which could not be translated)
What, how can I sign on a computer? The ink just stays in one place on the screen!
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 05 Dec 2008, 07:39

bigfatn00b wrote:
Frost wrote:
Beta-guy wrote:

The PS2 Emotion Engine uses a MIPS architecture, and is multicore as well. Because the cell processor doesn't use the same instruction set, backwards compatability can only be included in one of the 4 following ways:

include PS2 hardware in the system (expensive[ in old ps3's])
write a software layer to translate instructions (prone to quirks and will inevitably leave out some proprietary special functions [what xbox 360 and ps3 do, and why only about 80% of games work at all])
fully emulate the Emotion Engine in software (requires a TON of system resources and will inevitably not be perfect)
or re-compile all games from original source code (but some games have some parts written in machine code to take advantage of special features of the architecture, which could not be translated)

I have one of the old PS3's I keep hoping Sony will reintroduce hardware compatibility, as if my PS3 ever dies I'd hate to get a lesser PS3 in exchange (I have a 3 year warranty). Right now it's either I ignore the warranty and pay Sony to repair the console, or get a free downgrade... YAY I love options... lol thankfully I haven't had any issues with the PS3 yet,

Return to “Video Games”