On Bioshocks quality

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
notomtolose

Re: On Bioshocks quality

Postby notomtolose » 04 May 2009, 20:25

I think I may have hit on part of what divides us here, and I'm not making a judgment about which view is 'better' or 'right'.

Gentlemen (and ladies), the closest thing to Bioshock is not System Shock 2, it's not Fallout, it's not Half-Life 2 and it's certainly not Call of Duty. The closest thing to Bioshock is Metroid Prime. Bioshock is a first-person adventure. If exploration, atmosphere and plot are not the main things you're looking for, if they are not enough to make this an amazing game in your opinion, then it simply will not be that to you.

On the flip side, fighting soldiers is not my favourite thing about any game. Take Half-Life 2 - an amazing story, told with precision - and often very interesting to look at, as well. Still, it was so very painful whenever I was running around another abandoned apartment full of combine soldiers or trudging through another freaking sewer full of barnacles and radioactive waste. I can also only assume that your complaints about boring, generic weapons would apply times two to that game. Apart from the gravity gun (AKA Telekinesis), I couldn't even remember a single gun from that game without looking up a guide.

I've never had the slightest desire to touch a single one of the hundred World War II shooters that come out every year, no matter the 'tight controls' or 'fascinating tactical gameplay'. A hundred rave reviews of COD4 and Killzone 2, but I'd rather eat something out of the Iron Stomach Challenge. At least that would be over with in a few short minutes.

It's not that I can't appreciate tight controls or strategic gameplay or that I wouldn't notice the pretty graphics. It's just that I don't care. Those things are not interesting enough to me that I would want to play those games. If those were the only things games had to offer me... well, let's just say I'd have a lot more time for the important things in life. :)

What I want from games is a chance to visit someone's imagination, to see what kind of world is in their mind. I think it'd be pretty hard to put the setting of Bioshock in such a light as to make it seem unoriginal or uninteresting.

Okay, so the shooting is perhaps not on par with some other shooters. I'll concede that you're likely better equipped to make that judgment than I am. I disagree about the weapon selection, seeing how every weapon has three distinct ammo loadouts and given the additional use of plasmids and tonics. Fact is, this problem is solved by one of your other complaints: the 'easy' checkpoint system. If you find the combat boring, guess what - even if your boredom or frustration make you sloppy, you'll still get through after a few tries thanks to the vita-chamber. Just move on to the next thrilling chapter!

After all, the 'challenge' isn't the point. The carrot on the stick is not 'winning', but rather seeing what's next. If that's not enough for you, then hey - guess what, I'm back to the beginning of this post.

P.S. JUST FOR MATT. The complaint about being able to 'break' the challenge of the main gameplay mechanic kinda reminds me of a certain other game discussion... I guess it doesn't bother you that there's exploits in this game for anyone who cares to look? ;)
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 04 May 2009, 20:51

notomtolose wrote:
Matt wrote:but you get a ton of extra adam from the gifts you get for rescuing the little sisters. way more than 280.

I assume he's factoring that in. I could be wrong, though.

Ok fine lets do the math.

21 Little Sisters, for every 3 rescued you get the gift so:

For Rescued Little Sisters you get 80 ADAM.
80 x 3 = 240 + 200(the gift) = 440
440 x 7 = 3080

For Harvested Little Sisters you get 160 ADAM.
160 X 21 = 3360

3360 - 3080 = 280. This is the difference. Therefore you can attain more ADAM from Harvesting than by Rescuing the Little Sisters.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 21:05

Genghis Ares wrote:
notomtolose wrote:
Matt wrote:but you get a ton of extra adam from the gifts you get for rescuing the little sisters. way more than 280.

I assume he's factoring that in. I could be wrong, though.

Ok fine lets do the math.

21 Little Sisters, for every 3 rescued you get the gift so:

For Rescued Little Sisters you get 80 ADAM.
80 x 3 = 240 + 200(the gift) = 440
440 x 7 = 3080

For Harvested Little Sisters you get 160 ADAM.
160 X 21 = 3360

3360 - 3080 = 280. This is the difference. Therefore you can attain more ADAM from Harvesting than by Rescuing the Little Sisters.

I stand corrected.

-m

I am not angry at you.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 04 May 2009, 21:25

Don't forget the free extra tonics, though! Either way, 8% is not the kind of sharp penalty the game implies you should expect. Not that I mind!
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 05 May 2009, 13:17

None of those are offensive though. They mostly help for extra defense, hypnotizing the BD's and help with things like inventing or hacking.

I agree that Harvesting isn't really worth it. It just a choice on whether you want more adam in the beginning or not.
elitewalmartsecurity

Postby elitewalmartsecurity » 05 May 2009, 19:49

The fact that I was able to beat that game on Hard using only a wrench attests to the game's severe lack of difficulty.
Even on bosses. You respawn outside the boss's area.
"Oh, well, he seems to have struck me with a pipe. I say, I shall compose myself again, maybe grab a spot of tea, and rejoin the fight as soon as I possibly can. Perhaps I shall leave them a note so they do not worry about me."
I've created a monstrosity.
http://www.infinitelysuperior.com
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 05 May 2009, 20:06

Turn off the vita-chambers then. I never used them on Easy and on Hard I had a hell of a time getting through a few areas, especially going after Little Sisters, when going for Brass Balls.

Return to “Video Games”