Nudity vs Partial Nudity

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ExtraSensory
First Video: 3 PS3s

Nudity vs Partial Nudity

Postby ExtraSensory » 14 Feb 2009, 13:27

What counts as the difference between nudity and partial nudity?
Soul Calibur got partial nudity for Ivy's thong, and GTAIV got partial nudity for thongs.
Then Afro Samurai also got Partial Nudity, despite having thongs AND exposed breasts. During cutscenes AND gameplay nonetheless.
And then I remember some game getting nudity despite only having thongs.

While video game nudity really doesn't do much for me, I'm curious as to HOW the ESRB rates nudity vs partial nudity. Is it like a time/boobshot thing? or boobs/hour? Bah.
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 14 Feb 2009, 15:16

From the ESRB Website:

Nudity - Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity
Partial Nudity - Brief and/or mild depictions of nudity

While I don't understand the difference between Graphic or mild (as nudity is a natural superlative as you can't be more nude than nude) the amount or time it is shown seems to have an impact on the rating.

EDIT:
Reading further, it also seems that these descriptors are dependant on the overall rating. A PG-nudity descriptor means less nudity (or potentially sexual content, I guess) than a T, or M-nudity.

I guess they don't really have that much of a standardized system, so they make it as convoluted as possible.

Will try to find more
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 15 Feb 2009, 11:09

i think we can all agree that they are a bunch of cunts who don't know the first thing about video games or rating systems.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 15 Feb 2009, 11:58

Morgan wrote:i think we can all agree that they are a bunch of cunts who don't know the first thing about video games or rating systems.

Or being nude, probably.
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 15 Feb 2009, 12:16

I can imagine the offended expressions you would illicit with the revalation that we are all naked under our clothes. Many chins would woble in no uncertain terms. You would probably get a rousing chorus of 'Whell' too, although my grandmother's reactions may be influencing this mental image more than a little...
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 15 Feb 2009, 12:51

Morgan wrote:i think we can all agree that they are a bunch of cunts who don't know the first thing about video games or rating systems.

totally agree!

they are completely retarded, they changed oblivions rating to an M just because theres a mod to make nudity.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Feb 2009, 12:57

In which case they should change Microsoft Office to M or AO, considering what Paul has done....
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ExtraSensory

Postby ExtraSensory » 15 Feb 2009, 13:11

They changed Oblivion's rating from T to M because the ESRB discovered that the game footage sent to them wasn't a correct depiction of the game. It had very little to do with the mod, if I understand correctly.

I can imagine the offended expressions you would illicit with the revalation that we are all naked under our clothes. Many chins would woble in no uncertain terms. You would probably get a rousing chorus of 'Whell' too, although my grandmother's reactions may be influencing this mental image more than a little...

Is this supposed to be an attack at me? Because if so, you completely misinterpreted my post.
My point is that the ESRB needs to get their shit together, not that nudity offends me. I'm a big fan of nudity.
Just last week, there was this girl I saw, and she was nude. And I was like "Fuck yeah! The exposed female form is something that I greatly admire and devote much of my time to chasing after and making myself more prone to contact with!"
And then she told me I talked too much, and asked me if I wanted the lapdance or not.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Feb 2009, 13:17

Uhh.....The Jester was making a general statement not directed towards anybody. Unless I'm missing something.....
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ExtraSensory

Postby ExtraSensory » 15 Feb 2009, 14:11

Yeah, I read it again and realized it was more of a response to the ESRB and not the OP (me).
No hard feelings, Jester. Slight misunderstanding.
I hope we can still be friends, and you can still come to my birthday party if you want.
I mean, if you bring a present.
But it better be real Legos. None of that Mega Bloks bullshit you got me last year.

Return to “Video Games”