New Fallout in 2010

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Alterran
First Video: How to talk like a Pirate

New Fallout in 2010

Postby Alterran » 20 Apr 2009, 07:49

New Fallout Announced [Kotaku]

Sounds interesting, and you can never have too much Fallout.

But what are Todd Howard and his team working on?

And whats this about Fallout TV?
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 20 Apr 2009, 08:02

Is fallout three worth getting?
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 20 Apr 2009, 08:30

Yes. Its worth getting.
I can't think of a signature.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 20 Apr 2009, 08:36

Yes it is. Fun fact is that when teh game came out I had to chose between getting Mirror's Edge or Fallout3... Dodged teh bullet there. It being like 5 months since I got FO3 and I'm still playing it, it's just that awesome (would be even better if the PS3 version could get the DLC -.-)
Alterran

Postby Alterran » 20 Apr 2009, 08:41

Smeghead wrote:Yes it is. Fun fact is that when teh game came out I had to chose between getting Mirror's Edge or Fallout3... Dodged teh bullet there. It being like 5 months since I got FO3 and I'm still playing it, it's just that awesome (would be even better if the PS3 version could get the DLC -.-)

Yah I picked up the PC collectors edition recently, I had been playing it on a friends PS3 copy, realised no Op: Anchorage and no gas powered axe, and bought a PC copy. I still use an Xbox 360 wired controller with it.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 20 Apr 2009, 08:53

wedrinkritalin wrote:Is fallout three worth getting?

Ditto on: "Yes, it's worth it." I got it for my 360 in early March and I've already played through it three times. And, I still haven't gotten any of the expansions, although I want to. After a discussion with one of my friends, I now refuse to call it "downloadable content" because that term used to mean free. These are expansions.

As for Fallout: New Vegas, I can't wait to see the official press release. But, somehow, I have a bad feeling about its quality.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 20 Apr 2009, 08:59

w00t... that is all.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 20 Apr 2009, 11:43

So... back to the actual topic.

I guess this new Fallout called "Fallout: New Vegas" is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, where some of the former Black Isle Studios team are now, makers of Fallout and Fallout 2.

So basically, if you equate COD 4 to Fallout 3, this is COD:WAW(5), while Bethesda makes the real Fallout 4(COD6).

Although Bethesda is probably on Elder Scrolls 5 right now, but its possible they have two teams for that and Fallout 4.

Anyway, this all seems pretty cool. Hopefully, Obsidian will do a good job, and we can hope to see more of Apocalypse Vegas.

Although I hope they just don't recycle New Reno-esque story elements and create something cool.

I wonder if they'll do a new Vault Dweller/Lone Wanderer? Or maybe just an actual Wastelander.
Alterran

Postby Alterran » 20 Apr 2009, 13:23

I'd put more faith in Obsidian, they did KotOR 2 and frankly I loved that damn game, easily on par with the first. I think comparing them to treyarch is kinda unfair in this case.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 20 Apr 2009, 13:49

Alterran wrote: easily on par with the first.

Are you high?
KOTOR was lightyears beyond the second one in terms of over-all quality
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 20 Apr 2009, 14:06

Actually I quite liked KOTOR 2 as well.

But also, I wasn't comparing Obsidian to Treyarch, I was comparing more the idea of another company doing a game for another company while they made the "real" game. I mean Beth is giving Obsidian the job of making a "filler" game, while we wait for Beth to make the real one, i.e. Fallout 4. Which is essentially the same as Infinity Ward giving Treyarch the reins for some "filler" games (COD3 and COD5-WAW), while COD4-MW and COD6-MW2 are made.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Apr 2009, 14:34

Obsidian?

Dammit.

They're the studio that makes all the vastly inferior sequels to amazing games.
Fuck. Balls.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Apr 2009, 14:45

Graham wrote:Obsidian?

Dammit.

Fuck. Balls.

Pretty much my perspective. I love Fallout, so I know I'll buy it. But I just get a feeling I'll be let down.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Alterran

Postby Alterran » 20 Apr 2009, 15:14

Master Gunner wrote:
Graham wrote:Obsidian?

Dammit.

Fuck. Balls.

Pretty much my perspective. I love Fallout, so I know I'll buy it. But I just get a feeling I'll be let down.

I pray that Obsidian prove you all wrong so I can laugh at you later.

Also just what was so bad about KotOR2?

InsaneFool wrote:
Alterran wrote: easily on par with the first.

Are you high?
KOTOR was lightyears beyond the second one in terms of over-all quality

I'm gunna need some qualification on this, the gameplay matched the standard set by the first game and the story was brilliant. I felt immersed in the game from the word go. The only real issue I had with the game was the FPS lag. That was annoying at times, didn't make the game unplayable in anyway mind.

For the studios first game, I felt that they did a damn fine job following on from the second.

In terms of obsidian's other games, I can't speak for the NN series, I never played it. Their other titles don't look so hawt either.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Apr 2009, 15:41

I hope they do too! I want it to be as good as Fallout 3.

KOTOR2 wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as KOTOR1. Same with NWN2.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 20 Apr 2009, 15:47

I'm in the same boat on Obsidian.

KotOR2, while very similar to the first game, had some definite flaws. The narrative felt choppy and it didn't break any new ground. Their idea for more character options was just more feats and powers. But, they weren't even good feats or powers. All of the stuff that was worth taking was from the previous game. The characters weren't terribly engaging or endearing. It just felt totally inferior to its predecessor. As a stand-alone RPG, it was fun and enjoyable. But, as a sequel, it was a major let down.

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 20 Apr 2009, 19:24

They've only made those two games. Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as its two expansions. Kotor 2 and NN2 were both fine in my opinion. I found Kotor 2 to be exactly like Kotor with some upgrades to some things and i never really felt like it was inferior at all to the first one. I think that main thing is that it wasn't better then the first and therefore not good in the eyes of some people who always want a sequal to be leaps and bounds above the first installment. Kotor 2 wasn't really better then the first and thats what people equate to not being good.

Anyway, back to Obsidian I hope they do a good job.

They are doing the upcoming Alpha Protocol, which is a modern day action spy RPG. Which actually looks really interesting and pretty good so far, from what I have seen.

The problem is, if you aren't making a game from the ground up, you have to use someone else's engine and editors. So, Fallout might run into a problem there, but if they get actual support from Bethesda, then they should be able to pull through. I have a feeling that all Bioware did for Obsidian is give them the tools and helped them with any technical stuff, but did nothing to assure the product would be better then theirs.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 20 Apr 2009, 21:34

On the topic of KotOR II: it had sooo much potential to be better than KotOR - with better writing, and more time to full develop everything that was intended to be in it, it could have been a good/great game (and could have been better than KotOR, imo). However, it was rushed with tons of content left out, and it was horribly buggy. It wasn't a bad game, but I think anyone that was looking forward to it after KotOR felt it was lacking.

Hopefully Obsidian doesn't get rushed to release Fallout 4 before it's ready (which was the real problem with KotOR II)
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 20 Apr 2009, 21:41

Supposedly its not Fallout 4, but Fallout: New Vegas, then Bethesda is making Fallout 4. I don't know if thats the conventions they will be going with, but they said in the announcement that...

"It is not a sequel to Fallout 3. It's simply another Fallout game in that universe."

So maybe they will make an actual Fallout 4 or they just don't want to nail down the digit.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 20 Apr 2009, 21:59

Yeah, the Obsidian name doesn't inspire confidenc
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 20 Apr 2009, 22:00

Genghis Ares wrote:Supposedly its not Fallout 4, but Fallout: New Vegas, then Bethesda is making Fallout 4. I don't know if thats the conventions they will be going with, but they said in the announcement that...

"It is not a sequel to Fallout 3. It's simply another Fallout game in that universe."

So maybe they will make an actual Fallout 4 or they just don't want to nail down the digit.

Please replace where I said "Fallout 4" with "Fallout: New Vegas"... I still hope they're not forced to release it before it's ready.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 20 Apr 2009, 22:09

Genghis Ares wrote:So maybe they will make an actual Fallout 4 or they just don't want to nail down the digit.

I've started to notice a trend with game developers. Many of them seem to be shying away from dropping numbers onto the end of their games. I'm not entirely sure why. I can understand if it has nothing to do with its predecessors, but even that argument doesn't stick in a number of cases. I dunno . . . I try not to understand these sorts of things. If I do, I just go cross-eyed and hyperventilate.

Alterran

Postby Alterran » 21 Apr 2009, 09:39

Cade Antilles wrote:
Genghis Ares wrote:So maybe they will make an actual Fallout 4 or they just don't want to nail down the digit.

I've started to notice a trend with game developers. Many of them seem to be shying away from dropping numbers onto the end of their games. I'm not entirely sure why. I can understand if it has nothing to do with its predecessors, but even that argument doesn't stick in a number of cases. I dunno . . . I try not to understand these sorts of things. If I do, I just go cross-eyed and hyperventilate.

I think it's considered a curse in the games industry these days, for example, the Devil May Cry games got worse steadily as the number of the sequels increased, ranging from brilliant with the first game, two downright boring and mediocre with 4. I returned a pre-owned copy of it on PS3, heh.

It's not universally true, but it's no myth.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 21 Apr 2009, 09:50

I loved KOTOR and that's saying something as RPG's usually make my neck bleed I hate them that much, the second one was alright but just meh compared to the first one.

FACT: KOTOR was the only game that ever made me emotional to the point of blubbering when that guy kills himself after arguing with Canderous ordo
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 21 Apr 2009, 18:37

as much as i hated playing fallout 3. this looks killer.
anyone want a voyeur to come watch you play?

Return to “Video Games”