Anyone play Guild Wars?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Cybren

Anyone play Guild Wars?

Postby Cybren » 27 Apr 2009, 19:49

I reinstalled it on a whim, i'm leader of a guild apparently (hah we all quit the game before ever really doing anything) and have a city.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Re: Anyone play Guild Wars?

Postby Jillers » 27 Apr 2009, 19:56

I did for a bit, but it's installed on my broken computer - I had an elementalist, Jodelet; a monk, Adrian; and an archer/huner/ranger/whatever it was, Archimedes Johnson.
I preferred GW to WoW because my friends were on it and that was a lot of fun-also the ability to just solo things. I'm an internet hermit: I don't like dealing with people I don't know.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 27 Apr 2009, 20:05

there are all kinds of things you can solo in wow.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 27 Apr 2009, 20:14

Matt wrote:there are all kinds of things you can solo in wow.

-m

The last time I played WoW was two or three years ago, and my experience with it was that you can solo plenty of things, but there were also plenty of quests where you were required to have a party to not get totally murderlated. In GW you can employ NPC henchmen if you don't want to get a party together. I liked having henchmen.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Apr 2009, 20:16

Jillers wrote:

-m

The last time I played WoW was two or three years ago, and my experience with it was that you can solo plenty of things, but there were also plenty of quests where you were required to have a party to not get totally murderlated. In GW you can employ NPC henchmen if you don't want to get a party together. I liked having henchmen.

There are very very very very very very few group quests. And I mean very very very very very very very few. Like, maybe 1% of the overall quests are group quests, if that.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 27 Apr 2009, 20:22

JesterJ. wrote:
Jillers wrote:

-m

There are very very very very very very few group quests. And I mean very very very very very very very few. Like, maybe 1% of the overall quests are group quests, if that.

What, in WoW? I don't even mean quests that were group quests, I mean regular type quests that were too hard to solo - if you tell me those didn't exist then you're wrong. Or else playing tauren druid because I'd be a shape shifting cow (with cow boobies!) was the wrong reason to play a game.

All I'm saying is that, in my experience, by the time I got to level 20, too many of the quests that were for my level pretty much needed me to team up with people. Did I suck at playing? Probably. Do I prefer having henchmen so I don't have to ask other players for help on a quest? Definitely.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Apr 2009, 20:31

Well..to be fair, Druid until Cat Form (level 20) is really, really painful. So I'm not really surprised. Any other class in a DPS tree won't have any problems with questing.

If you don't suck (no offense), there shouldn't be too many issues with doing questing. It's true that at the beginning, Alliance side, there are a few issues with leveling from 10-20 (I often find myself having to switch between Auberdine and Westfall). Buuut I guess that's part of the learning curve. Or something.

Either way, I disagree with you, but you're totally entitled to your opinion.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 27 Apr 2009, 20:48

If you never played Everquest, or, as I have been told, FFXI, you don't know what "hard to solo" really is.

Anyway, if anyone wants to play guild wars shoot a tell to Teflon Billy. I don't have the cash to invite anyone as it costs 100g (BS imho) but we can group
curbee

Postby curbee » 27 Apr 2009, 21:06

I actually bought Nightfall a bit before I bought WoW so it's not entirely surprising why I've not finished that campaign. I finished the other two a while ago though. I don't really see myself going back to the game. Maybe if I bore of WoW for a bit, I'll finish up Nightfall on my Dervish and finish up Factions for the 2th time on my Warrior or Prophecies for the 3th time on my Ranger.

Problem with Guild Wars was that henchmen was dumb as shit. Being able to solo all of these missions was great until the AI aggros an extra three groups and we wipe. Repeatedly. Fun times though.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 28 Apr 2009, 05:28

What, like get horribly, horribly bored? The reason I've stopped playing is because I don't know anybody on WoW anymore (both the frieds I knew who played it have stopped) and it's easier to thread a jumbo jet through a fucking basketball hoop than to get people to talk to you, and coercing actual help from them is even harder. Lets not even talk about civil behavior, most of them wouldn't even know what the phrase means.

I have played GW a little, but I had the same problem with it that I did with WoW; I didn't know anybody that played, and most of the people I saw talking in general chat came accross as immense fuckheads, so I never bothered.

If anybody on here wants to play that's awesome, I can probably figure out how to switch to the US servers...
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 28 Apr 2009, 05:35

I've always, always wanted to give Guild Wars a shot, and have been really tempted just to pick it up to check it out. It would only be throwing me out 25 dollars. I might pick it up on my way home from work tonight.

Is it more Diablo than WoW? Or the other way around? Are certain classes in more pressing, dire need than others? Will it make grouping and doing end game content easier if I just roll a healer?
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 28 Apr 2009, 05:50

The Jester wrote:

What, like get horribly, horribly bored? The reason I've stopped playing is because I don't know anybody on WoW anymore (both the frieds I knew who played it have stopped) and it's easier to thread a jumbo jet through a fucking basketball hoop than to get people to talk to you, and coercing actual help from them is even harder. Lets not even talk about civil behavior, most of them wouldn't even know what the phrase means.

I have played GW a little, but I had the same problem with it that I did with WoW; I didn't know anybody that played, and most of the people I saw talking in general chat came accross as immense fuckheads, so I never bothered.

If anybody on here wants to play that's awesome, I can probably figure out how to switch to the US servers...

Ha. I still play WoW for the exact opposite of the reason you don't: I've made more, better friends there than almost anywhere else. It's the place I can go at 2am and find a friendly line of green or blue text.

I chalk that up to my guild and alliance... I'm in Exuberance in the Penny Arcade Alliance on Dark Iron. I've had people who say they don't like guilds tell me that my guild is different. I've lived with a great community of people for over four years now. If anyone wants to join me there, just send me a line. If you like Penny-Arcade and don't type like a moron we'd be glad to have you.

Sadly, I'm not sure if you CAN transfer from the UK servers to the US servers. (A quick google seems to reinforce this)

If you want to someday get set up on the US servers I'm sure someone here would be able to help you out. I know a few people in the EU who play on our servers, so it is possible. Transfers don't seem to be though, sadly.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Apr 2009, 05:59

Yeah, I had been considdering finding out how to do that, but the most likely solution was allways 'buy the US version of the game' and that's not something I can afford right now. Especially with shipping included. I haven't even bought WotLK, but that's also because I've never gotten a toon past lvl 29, if I recall. Lvl 20 something anyway.

I really would like to play, it's got fun elaments and I can see how it'd be fun if you could play with other people, but as I said above, pretty much everyone I've met on it has been a blaring bumcake.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Apr 2009, 06:39

The Jester wrote:I really would like to play, it's got fun elaments and I can see how it'd be fun if you could play with other people, but as I said above, pretty much everyone I've met on it has been a blaring bumcake.

Well, I'm with Telaril here. I'm not trying to blindly defend WoW (I know it looks like I am), but I've had the exact opposite experience as you. A lot of the people I've met through it are genuinely nice and funny people, and fun to talk to. Your biggest problem was that you only got to level 20something. I know it sounds stupid for people to say "You have to play so long before there's civility," but it's true: the idiots start to drop out around level 30-35, in my experience. You can still find plenty of cool people, but if you judge your entire experience in WoW based solely on being in the Barrens, it's really too bad.

If you really do want to play it, I'd recommend rolling on one of the U.S. servers that people are playing on, probably Bonechewer Horde-side since that seems to be the hot ticket right now. My only suggestion would be to stick with it. I know it might seem like I'm just encouraging you to WORK just to have FUN, but it definitely pays off if you stay playing for just a little while longer.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 Apr 2009, 09:56

Heh, I never really played Tauren much, and I never made an orc or troll toon. The most time I spent in the Barrens was with my blelf pally.

And I realise you are just trying to help, but saying I need to make it more than a third of the way through the level progression before I'm going to have any fun on the game smacks a bit of brainwashing, if you'll excuse me.
Is there a way for me now to make characters on US servers with my current account? Or do I need to buy a US version of the game? I'm not really bothered about moving my existing characters about, it's been so long since I've played them that I just don't have any personal investment in them any more.

Also, sorry Cybren for pretty much just hyjacking your thread :?
Chfan

Postby Chfan » 28 Apr 2009, 10:49

Yes, I have and do actively after the new update. So little time...
Well, hallo there.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Apr 2009, 12:08

I stopped playing Guild Wars years ago. Hit level 20 on a couple characters, got the best armour, didn't even get around to finishing the plot. There was just nothing left to do, especially since I don't like pvp (truth: I'm no good at it). Honestly I prefer WoW, it's more varied, more stuff to do, even on your own.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Apr 2009, 18:20

The Jester wrote:
And I realise you are just trying to help, but saying I need to make it more than a third of the way through the level progression before I'm going to have any fun on the game smacks a bit of brainwashing, if you'll excuse me.

Well...it's not more than a third through the game. It's more like 1/5, if that. But that's really just semantics; what I was saying is you might have to invest a little more time to get past your specific hurdle (read: douchebags), and that's really up to you whether or not you want to do it.

But I have no clue about your other question

Yeah, sorry about the hijack, Cybren. This is the last WoW-related post I'll make up in this bitch.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 28 Apr 2009, 18:40

yah i'm not big on MMOs, the whole "grind thing" makes me angry. Guild Wars intended on letting you circumvent that with making PVP characters at level 20 from the beginning. But then they messed it up by making you have to unlock the skills for the character by leveling up in singleplayer.

I don't mind hijacks, i consider it the natural lifecycle of a thread. There's not much more to say about "let's play guild wars" really
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 28 Apr 2009, 20:31

I bought WoW to play with a couple of friends, but I could count the number of times we actually played together on my fingers. I soloed WoW to level 56 (Dwarf Paladin), 52 (Human Warrior), 50 (Troll Shaman) and several in the thirties (Night Elf Hunter, Tauren Druid, Troll Rogue).

There was a lot of fun and a lot of frustration. Between the time and the money, it wasn't worth it. It wasn't a bad time, but I know I would've had more fun for less money playing other games, and a LOT less frustration. The reason I kept coming back was, the game grew slowly more fun as they patched the game to be easier (more XP + more money = faster progression). Every time I gave it up, it would be a little better when I got back. Still, when it came down to quitting or spending $70 on the expansions (in addition to the already exorbitant fee), I finally gave it up.

Guild Wars, on the other hand, has no subscription fees. If you guys wanna get something together I'm interested. I've often wondered why LRR doesn't crowdsource more sweet online gaming - they have access to a large group of gamers, who already like them! :)
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 29 Apr 2009, 05:22

I stopped playing Guilds Wars for the same reason alot of you guys did.. No one to play with. Plus everything was so damned expensive in that game. Just getting dye for your armor would cost a couple 1000 gold sometimes.

MMOs are only fun for the multiplayer. Why play a game with such simple game play and story and usually play a subscribtion fee when you could play a single player game that you only have to pay for once. Of course GWs doesn't have a fee and there is a pretty decent story, but still it's just not enjoyable to play alone.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 29 Apr 2009, 05:38

We could all make a Runners guild in GW.

Seems like the reason the people on here don't play it anymore is because none of us had anyone else to play with. And we're all here. We used to play.

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM A PLAYABLE GAME!
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 29 Apr 2009, 15:27

I'm going to pick it up tonight, for sure.

Does it matter which version of GW I pick up? Factions, Nightfall, the original or whatever the last one I missed was? I've tried reading up on it and am still not sure.
Chfan

Postby Chfan » 29 Apr 2009, 17:20

Start with the original. And FYI, you can't get the newest one unless you have Prophecies, Factions, of Nightfall.

Anyway, there is actually more to do now. They've started up daily quests, which basically draws players to a certain location in the game to do a certain mission together. It makes finding a gorup easier, although usually they aren't very good...
Well, hallo there.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 29 Apr 2009, 18:54

I'm gonna be really busy for the next week, but I plan to pick the game up in the next few days anyway. I am sooo ready to explore a new world right now.

I noticed you can get the 'Trilogy' for $50 on Steam or at NCSoft's online store, so that's probably what I'll do.

Return to “Video Games”