SW:TOR

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
draco

SW:TOR

Postby draco » 02 May 2009, 14:12

this is about the game mentkend in http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8973 is looks good so far so have an look im going to play it here is the link http://www.swtor.com/
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Re: SW:TOR

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 May 2009, 20:28

I don't think it will go over well, KOTOR II bored me to tears. I didn't even beat the begging zone in the space-port where you assemble your party. It felt so excessively long and dragged out.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 02 May 2009, 21:45

This doesn't really much to do with KOTOR 2 though. That was made by Obsidian, Bioware made the first one and they are making this one. It really depends on if they can make an MMO or not.
draco

Postby draco » 02 May 2009, 23:02

thay r makeing an mmo
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 02 Jun 2009, 15:05

So, to refresh this, in line with the trailer that was shown at E3 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49936).

My question: Ok, so theres going to be other classes in this game. And assuming that there are Jedi in this game, who is going to play anything else? I mean, sure there might be some novelty to playing a Boba Fett bounty hunter, but who's going to play a Trooper (I'd give more examples, but they've only shown two classes so far, almost as bad as Blizzard is for D3)?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Jun 2009, 15:11

I could care less, but not by a lot.

-m

I am not angry at you.
RathWolf

Postby RathWolf » 02 Jun 2009, 16:10

I'm really wondering how much hard drive space it's gonna take up because apparently EVERY line of dialogue for EVERY npc is voice acted. That's a lot of audio.

Plus, you can only stand hearing "Kill 10 womprats" so many times before you snap.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 02 Jun 2009, 16:28

SilentBobCDN wrote:So, to refresh this, in line with the trailer that was shown at E3 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49936).

My question: Ok, so theres going to be other classes in this game. And assuming that there are Jedi in this game, who is going to play anything else? I mean, sure there might be some novelty to playing a Boba Fett bounty hunter, but who's going to play a Trooper (I'd give more examples, but they've only shown two classes so far, almost as bad as Blizzard is for D3)?

If you assume there are Jedi in the game, you also have to assume there are Sith, so people will also play Sith. The Bounty Hunter/Trooper are equivalents, so someone who wants to play on the side of the Galactic Empire, might pick that over Jedi the way someone playing on the side of the Sith might choose Bounty Hunter over Sith (again, assuming both Jedi and Sith are playable classes).

There are plenty of gamers like me out there that will play random classes and/or races just because it seems fun (eg: I played a Tauren in WoW cause it seemed fun to be a giant magic-using cow).

Plus, I don't know how the game is set up, but for completionists, I'm sure there are going to be quests (if they're doing that) you can't do, and things you can't see if you're not a certain race/class.

Not to mention that I'm sure certain classes have different approaches to fighting and the game itself, and depending on how you want to play the game will depend on what class you are.

Maybe you can't even start as a Jedi/Sith. Who knows? I don't.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 02 Jun 2009, 16:38

I'm not really feeling it. At least not if they're going to stick to some canonization that every character will be able to act according to. Will likely just end up as some pvp with instances just like the rest of the mmo's rather than a proper experience as to why you're doing this and that.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 02 Jun 2009, 17:13

Jillers wrote:
SilentBobCDN wrote:So, to refresh this, in line with the trailer that was shown at E3 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49936).

If you assume there are Jedi in the game, you also have to assume there are Sith, so people will also play Sith. The Bounty Hunter/Trooper are equivalents, so someone who wants to play on the side of the Galactic Empire, might pick that over Jedi the way someone playing on the side of the Sith might choose Bounty Hunter over Sith (again, assuming both Jedi and Sith are playable classes).

There are plenty of gamers like me out there that will play random classes and/or races just because it seems fun (eg: I played a Tauren in WoW cause it seemed fun to be a giant magic-using cow).

Plus, I don't know how the game is set up, but for completionists, I'm sure there are going to be quests (if they're doing that) you can't do, and things you can't see if you're not a certain race/class.

Not to mention that I'm sure certain classes have different approaches to fighting and the game itself, and depending on how you want to play the game will depend on what class you are.

Maybe you can't even start as a Jedi/Sith. Who knows? I don't.

About the possibility of not starting as Jedi/Sith. While I like the idea about working towards becoming a Jedi, a friend of mine brought up a good point. You'll have the hardcore gamers become Jedi, and outclass everyone else on the server/game, people whine and complain, and the nerf hammer comes down. It happened with SWG apparently.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Jun 2009, 17:23

They could do it like the Death Knight system in WoW, so you can only start a Jedi/Sith after reaching the endgame normally. That way anybody who wants to dedicate enough time can reach it, even if you're not "hardcore". In addition, I think some other limitations would also be called for, such as starting your Jedi from level 1 instead of a high level (maybe), adding in a randomness element to keep the Jedi population low (such as after you reach a high level, your account is entered into a "lottery", the winners of which can become Jedi), and even introducing a perma-kill system that will be activated when needed to reduce the number of Jedi.
The key is to make it something that everybody can get to, but to keep the Jedi population low and with enough drawbacks that it's often not worth it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 04 Jun 2009, 08:13

Matt wrote:I could care less, but not by a lot.

-m

Matt, if I tell you that I'm going to get in the beta, will you care slightly more?
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Jun 2009, 08:31

I think the best option vis-a-vis Jedi would be that certain people, determined at random, have the ability to become Jedi (call it having high midichlorian count or whatever), but at level 1 you can't start as such. You have to discover it later on in the game.
Kag

Postby Kag » 04 Jun 2009, 10:36

Determining who can be a Jedi at random is a good way to frustrate people and lose subscribers.

Really, they just have to not be unstoppable killing machines.
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 04 Jun 2009, 10:41

Kag wrote:Determining who can be a Jedi at random is a good way to frustrate people and lose subscribers.

Really, they just have to not be unstoppable killing machines.

But at the same time, how fulfilling would it be to be a Jedi and have some dude with a blaster take ... well, really more than one swipe with a light saber?
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 04 Jun 2009, 11:13

Considering that a blaster shot TENDS TO DO ENOUGH DAMAGE TO KILL ANYBODY IT HITS, I'm fairly sure the argument is the same from the other side. Blaster=kill you. Lightsaber=kill you.

Incidentally, it's likely that Jedi will simply be a playable class, and that the bounty hunter/trooper classes will have something to balance them against the Jedi. For instance, how do you stop a flamethrower or a contact explosive grenade? Oh, right, you BURN YOUR FACE OFF.

Add to that the concept of Mandalorian armour, which is lightsaber resistant(though not immune, cause, c'mon, what is?), and soldiers are not totally weaksauce against Jedi.
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 04 Jun 2009, 11:17

I really hope this game will be an alternative to WoW, there is so little choice in the MMO world. Ok ok there is alot of choice... but most MMO's are crap.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 04 Jun 2009, 11:30

SilentBobCDN wrote:But at the same time, how fulfilling would it be to be a Jedi and have some dude with a blaster take ... well, really more than one swipe with a light saber?

This really isn't an issue that is exclusive to light sabers though, or even star wars. Games in general don't often choose to model weapons to be as dangerous as they actually are, for the sake of gameplay.

There are very few places where 1 hit kills actually can sustain any sense of satisfaction for the person making them, and, at the same time not be horribly frustrating for the person getting killed.
and now; back to me.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 04 Jun 2009, 11:55

Smidge! Champions Online is coming! Be excited or else!
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 04 Jun 2009, 12:02

Also, Master Gunners suggestion is called the FFXI rewards style
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 04 Jun 2009, 12:05

They might make something up, like everyone has some intrinsic defense against lightsabers (this will be set in The Old Republic days, by the way, so more people being in tune with the Force isn't that unlikely), like an invisible shield, and when the shield goes down, then you lose body parts. And some races would intrinsically have better defense, etc.

Also, it's the whole ranged vs. melee thing. In the Jedi Knight series, you took on lots and lots of grunts with guns, and then a couple guys with sabers in each level, and the levels were far from easy. And especially add to the fact that you probably won't be able to force drag your opponents right over to you so you can slice them and such, and the large variety of ranged weapons there are in the Star Wars universe, and that blocking shots with your lightsaber will be pretty rare until you get high levels, hopefully, and a blaster doesn't seem that bad.

However, talking about the Jedi Knight series makes me wonder about MMORPGs in general. Why do they have to be one-click combat? Would it be that difficult to make an action MMORPG, so like Jedi Academy or something, but you only gain new force powers by leveling up and such, and you start with really slow regeneration and low health? You'd have to keep PVP to a minimum, but that just seems so much more fun than clicking on something to attack, and if you're really advanced, clicking on it twice.
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 04 Jun 2009, 13:30

Allen! wrote:Smidge! Champions Online is coming! Be excited or else!

Won't that just be another City of Heroes / Vilains, ripoff?
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 04 Jun 2009, 13:44

If by "Ripoff" you mean "Made by the guys who developed CoH/V," then yes.

But BETTER(because NCSoft is not involved)!
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 04 Jun 2009, 14:27

Well, when it comes out, make an LRR guild of superheroes then, and I'll see if I can connect to a US/CAN game server ;)
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 04 Jun 2009, 15:15

From what I've read this week, and by what I've seen, I can't wait for The Old Republic. My god does it look beautiful. With my terrible Star Wars fanaticism, combined with a narrative-based MMO, I haven't anticipated a game this much in a long while.

Return to “Video Games”