TF2 SNIPER UPDATE!!!1

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: TF2 SNIPER UPDATE!!!1

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 May 2009, 17:29

Well...at least the Sniper is getting his own back after the Spy stole his update limelight.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 May 2009, 17:33

Either way Valve is awesome.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
elitewalmartsecurity

Postby elitewalmartsecurity » 20 May 2009, 17:57

I'm really confused about what to think about Jarate. I'm still not REALLY believing that that's the REAL update... It COULD be, at least.
I've created a monstrosity.
http://www.infinitelysuperior.com
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 May 2009, 18:04

Hah. This is great.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
goat

Postby goat » 20 May 2009, 18:16

Jarate! I love it! Finally, a reason to have snipers in the front lines!

Too bad no one will equip it, in favor of being able to defend themselves with the kukri. Especially true if the razorback is popular, and they give up the SMG.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 20 May 2009, 18:27

If I could play the Sniper I would totally love Jarate. Though I could see a lot of people saying that it's useless like they do with the Pyro's Flaregun (which I totally love and use to great effect, especially to spook Snipers and Engies).

It's kinda annoying that they have yet to update the 3 classes I play most as if I'm not the Pyro. *sigh*.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 20 May 2009, 19:49

goat wrote:Jarate! I love it! Finally, a reason to have snipers in the front lines!

Too bad no one will equip it, in favor of being able to defend themselves with the kukri. Especially true if the razorback is popular, and they give up the SMG.

Which would make The Huntsman viable for someone who actually wants a good, close-range weapon.
SimpsonsParadox

Postby SimpsonsParadox » 20 May 2009, 19:58

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Jarate is going to replace the SMG and that the Razorback is just going to be something you add on, like the Spy's watch. I don't think Valve would go on and take away your melee weapon. What happens if you run out of ammo? Run around and do nothing? It seems like that would be bad game design, and something Valve tried to avoid with melee weapons. Taking them away would be...head scratching.
Do, A Deer, A Female Deer
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 20 May 2009, 23:43

Wow, a double update really is happening, cool
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 21 May 2009, 06:50

I cannot wait to throw pee at you giant whining babies.

And I mean that in the nicest way. :)
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 21 May 2009, 07:04

Damnit Valve, can you make yourself look any more brilliant than you already have done over the last week or so with this update? :D
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 May 2009, 09:49

I find the Jarate to be just stupid.

All prior unlocks have been reasonable items. They've all been otherwise reasonable weapons with slight fudging for humor and effect, like the Axetinguisher being an axe wrapped in barbed wire, or the Force-A-Nature being powerful enough to launch the scout through the air. These are clever changes to existing weapons that are in line with the strengths and styles of the classes and which open up new styles of gamplay. Jarate, however, is not.

• It's not an actual weapon, like all the other unlocks were.
  • It doesn't operate in a way that makes sense, like all the others do. (How does urine affect friendlies one way, but enemies another? Magic?)
  • It doesn't have a known tradeoff, like all the others do. (Aside from either replacing the SMG or Kukri, both of which seem vastly more useful.)
  • It's not in keeping with the spirit and design of the character, nor either of the weapons it may replace, like all other unlocks are.

People keep defending Jarate by saying it's funny. I find it not funny in the slightest. People defend it by saying the blood and gore in the game are far worse than excrata. I argue we don't have a jar full of gore that we throw at enemies either.

~Alja~
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 21 May 2009, 11:23

Alja-Markir wrote:A bunch of stuff

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you're definitely one of the whiners I'm going to be drenching in pee.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 May 2009, 12:38

How very untypical of you Sable. I would have expected you to actually discuss the matter, and to counter my points with your own views, rather than brush me off and call me a whiner.

I wonder, has Sable's account been hacked or something? I don't see our fine Alaskan around the forums for some time, then when he does return he's acting and posting oddly...

ALIENS! Of course! They've brainwashed him! I'll get the shotgun.

~Alja~
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 May 2009, 13:02

Check the back of his neck for a puncture wound, that'll be where they sucked his brain out, or implanted the microchip.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 21 May 2009, 13:37

No, my account hasn't been hacked.

Okay, look. Listen. There'll be some reading involved too, but I'm making the assumption that's already covered.

What this boils down to is that there are things that I take seriously, and things I don't. Jars of pee in a video game are not among the former category.

Your opinion is perfectly valid and I accept that it is your opinion, and you are completely entitled to it.

My opinion is that you have taken a jar of pee far, far, far too seriously. I am not willing to expend the effort to type out an extended point-by-point dissertation on the matter because regardless of outcome it really doesn't make that much of a difference to me: I am going to throw pee at people because I think it is hilarious. Likewise, I feel no need to change your mind: I disagree, but we are disagreeing about a jar of urine.

I am more than willing to have an extended conversation stuffed to the literary ceiling with polysyllables and metaphor about the idea of game balance, game design and how the unlockables in TF2 have affected that. I am not willing to have that kind of conversation about whether or not a jar of pee is funny.

There has, however been an hilarious amount of whinging about this and that in this thread, about how X is going to make the game unbalanced because of Y or Z. Considering the pack has yet to be released, I feel this is, as they say, a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Arguments for the sake of arguments, the kind of intellectually bankrupt drivel that drives a reading man to drink.

So yes, I am being flippant, and I sort of don't care that I am in this instance. I already feel like I've sort of spent enough time on this, but if you deserve to have the air cleared, so here we are.
goat

Postby goat » 21 May 2009, 13:47

SimpsonsParadox wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think that the Jarate is going to replace the SMG and that the Razorback is just going to be something you add on, like the Spy's watch. I don't think Valve would go on and take away your melee weapon. What happens if you run out of ammo? Run around and do nothing? It seems like that would be bad game design, and something Valve tried to avoid with melee weapons. Taking them away would be...head scratching.

good point, but having the razorback as an add-on seems a bit unfair.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 21 May 2009, 14:30

Alja-Markir wrote:It doesn't operate in a way that makes sense, like all the others do. (How does urine affect friendlies one way, but enemies another? Magic?)

Friendlies are happy because they are no longer on fire. Enemies are mad because they are covered in piss.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 May 2009, 14:35

Like Sable I am reserving judgment on the unlockables until I have played against them.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 May 2009, 14:39

JesterJ. wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:It doesn't operate in a way that makes sense, like all the others do. (How does urine affect friendlies one way, but enemies another? Magic?)

Friendlies are happy because they are no longer on fire. Enemies are mad because they are covered in piss.

And good friends and teammates may be willing to go with the unspoken agreement of never discussing the event ever again.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 21 May 2009, 17:25

The update is live, and it is Big McLargeHuge.

Happy downloading, all you people with real broadband!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 May 2009, 17:33

Bwuh?

But they still haven't answered a ton of questions! What about the hats? What about the "we're considering changing how unlocks work" thing? What about which weapons are replaced by which unlocks? What about in what order do they unlock?

Also, Sable, if you'll notice, my complaints were about exactly what you said you'd talk about: ie, the merits of the item as an unlock, not whether it is funny or not. Yes, I said I find it not funny. But that was not at all the meat and potatoes of my post.

~Alja~
SimpsonsParadox

Postby SimpsonsParadox » 21 May 2009, 17:36

Uh duh buh wah?

"You now find new and old items as you play, instead of through achievements"

Does this mean that they're unlocked over time (Dear Deity, please no :()? Unlocked based on how you do? Randomly unlocked? Guh.
Do, A Deer, A Female Deer
Citin

Postby Citin » 21 May 2009, 18:52

Alja-Markir wrote:Bwuh?
What about the "we're considering changing how unlocks work" thing? What about which weapons are replaced by which unlocks?

Check the patchnotes.
Sniper: Bow replaces Rifle
Jarate replaces SMG
Razorback replaces SMG

Spy: Ambassador replaces revolver
Dead Ringer/Cloak and Dagger replace conventional spy watch

Alja-Markir wrote:Bwuh?
What about the "we're considering changing how unlocks work" thing?

I'm guessing thats this new "You now find new and old items as you play, instead of through achievements" thing in the patchnotes.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 May 2009, 19:00

The new Playload map is awesome. Though everyone switched to the sniper on my damned team and we started to lose every round. Still it was really fun.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.

Return to “Video Games”