XBOX 360 Project Natal?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
mjnorman

XBOX 360 Project Natal?

Postby mjnorman » 04 Jun 2009, 22:50

So from looking at sample videos for this.
It's gonna be stupid fun if it works as it's presented

What do you guys think?

I also think it looks a tad like Wall-E
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: XBOX 360 Project Natal?

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Jun 2009, 00:05

It actually kinda worries me a little if the AIs are as good as the presentation suggests.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 05 Jun 2009, 00:30

I'd definitely like to see how well it works. Also, if it had some good games.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 05 Jun 2009, 07:34

I'll be over there on my couch playing games that don't make me look like I'm having a seizure, thanks.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 05 Jun 2009, 07:36

It looks super cool. Very neat technology.

I don't think it will lead to very fun games.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise, though.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Jun 2009, 07:45

It could be pretty awesome for fighting games. Like Wii boxing, only better. I guess it all depends on how well it actually works. If it really can tell exactly what you're doing, then it can be implemented well with all sorts of games.

Imagine an FPS where you actually point an imaginary gun at the enemies, move your hands to your hips for ammo and back to the 'gun' to reload, etc. It could actually make RTS work on a console, too, just by allowing you an easier method of scrolling around and selecting units. Actually, that combined with voice commands would make a killer RTS.

In actuality, however, it probably won't be accurate or quick enough for these applications, and so will be limited to the relatively simple game styles of the Wii (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 05 Jun 2009, 09:03

There is very little possibility I would play a shooter like that for more than half an hour at a time.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Jun 2009, 09:41

metcarfre wrote:Imagine an FPS where you actually point an imaginary gun at the enemies, move your hands to your hips for ammo and back to the 'gun' to reload, etc.

I will behead, rip apart, and burn the first person that thinks this is a good gameplay style.

And I will do all three simultaneously.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Jun 2009, 10:08

Hyperbole noted, but I guess I don't really see the disadvantage in playing that way (if it were to work properly) versus pressing buttons to simulate doing the same thing. It's just one step closer to an immersive virtual reality system. Or just an evolutionary step in the rail shooter (which hasn't fundamentally changed much since the 90's as far as I know). Actually, think of it like this; sure, you could play Rock Band on a regular controller, but it's more fun to have the guitar and rock out, isn't it?
Sillyman
First Video: No idea

Postby Sillyman » 05 Jun 2009, 10:14

metcarfre wrote:In actuality, however, it probably won't be accurate or quick enough for these applications, and so will be limited to the relatively simple game styles of the Wii (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Meanwhile, the Wii is using their motion controls for steadily larger things, especially since with really good code, the three accelerometers can be surprisingly precise (judgment based on looking at Wmgui for Linux and the accelerometer data provided). I do not mind at all the fact that a lot of Wii games essentially use the Wii remote as a source of infinite buttons, since that is making good use of it.
Multiversal Coordinate System syntax:
MCS:S:C:G:S:P:LAT,LNG;
YYYYDDDHHMMSSmmmuuunnnpppfffaaazzzyyy..plancktimesgohere..;
ID.
The location and time portions can be truncated. Time is Earth (MCS:0:0:0:0:3;;0.) time.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 05 Jun 2009, 10:25

Lyinginbedmon wrote:It actually kinda worries me a little if the AIs are as good as the presentation suggests.

Uncanny Valley, amirite?
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 05 Jun 2009, 10:44

My problem is that Natal will only be allowed to be used for simplistic games, because no one would really want to play an FPS or a platformer by doing all the motions. Why? Two reasons: One, because people would get so horrendously tired out, and two, if I wanted to do those activities, I'd just go play paintball or with some nerf guns, or go City Jumping.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 05 Jun 2009, 12:34

i will need some convincing that a) the motion sensor will not suck ass and have a fuck ton of problems and b) that it is possible to actually play proper games rather than casual games on it. However i think there may be some mileage in the idea. I still think that the old fashioned controller is the best way of player shooters and other First Person Games.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 05 Jun 2009, 13:18

First off Zivolok why the hell does parkour need a 3rd name? it's already got that and free running, don't support another one.

Also Natal does look cool, I'd enjoy it simply for the most basic function like facial and voice recognition, automatically logging me in and such.

But hell that first teaser for Ruse could actually be possible with technology like this if it actually works.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 05 Jun 2009, 13:23

I can see a Rail Shooter using Project Natal, but for a real shooter (see what I did there?) how would you handle movement? How would you handle turning?

For that matter, how would you fire your gun? Would you say "bang" out loud? Would you jerk your hand backwards to fake the recoil on your handgun? Would you cock your thumb?

If aiming was connected to movement, as it is in current shooters, how would the game distinguish between "aiming" or "looking" downwards and reaching to your belt to reload?
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 05 Jun 2009, 13:28

zfubarz wrote:I'd enjoy it simply for the most basic function like facial and voice recognition, automatically logging me in and such.

My netbook uses its webcam for facial recognition. I have to sit in front of it, orient myself correctly, and wait for a good five or six seconds before it picks me up and logs me in.

Or I can type my password in two seconds, or swipe my finger on the fingerprint reader in one second.

It's another case of cool but, IMO, ultimately impractical technology.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 05 Jun 2009, 14:20

zfubarz wrote:First off Zivolok why the hell does parkour need a 3rd name? it's already got that and free running, don't support another one.

Also Natal does look cool, I'd enjoy it simply for the most basic function like facial and voice recognition, automatically logging me in and such.

But hell that first teaser for Ruse could actually be possible with technology like this if it actually works.

I only know one guy who does it, and he calls it City Jumping, and I forgot about it also being called parkour. That's why.
Kag

Postby Kag » 05 Jun 2009, 14:28

Neat idea. Every report I've seen says it works amazingly well.

It's only good for games that don't need any kind of physical feedback. Which means anything that's actually fun on it will be something that would be completely insane by today's standards.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 05 Jun 2009, 21:23

Natal will probably fare just as well as the Wii: Huge sales at first because of the cool novelty, then it will falter and sink.

Milo is not only incredibly creepy but I'm guessing seriously underwhelming. Molyneaux has that charm about him where he acts like a total douchebag and plays up how amazing his new game will be with the only effect being that everyone is underwhelmed when it never lives up to the hype. "Science fiction has never dreamed of anything like this" are you kidding me, man? Have you ever read a sci-fi book? Jesus Christ, the foundations of the genre have things above and beyond your creepy little British child.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 05 Jun 2009, 22:07

Wait... The Wii is faltering and sinking?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_April_2009
Console Sales, April 2009

Wii - 340,000
Xbox 360 - 175,000
PS2 - 172,000
PS3 - 127,000

Console Sales, YTD

Wii 2,373,200
360 1,205,000
PS3 824,200
PS2 516,200

Looks to me like the Wii is still "winning".

And I hear that Microsoft is going to be packaging the Natal hardware in with all new XBoxes once it's released, so it'll be interesting to see how developers make use of it.

P.S. Apparently over a million DSes were sold in April 2009, including 800,000+ of the new DSi models. Nintendo is continuing to clean up.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 05 Jun 2009, 22:33

In my opinion, the Wii barely counts as a game console. It seems like they don't care at all about hardcore gamers sometimes. Look at Super Mario Galaxy 2, "Hey guess what guys and gals, here's a real game for you that's basically the same as the one we made two years ago, but with yoshi. Enjoy!"
Kag

Postby Kag » 06 Jun 2009, 03:07

That you use as an example a game for which we have seen only a two minute trailer speaks volumes about your argument, even disregarding that your judgment of it makes absolutely no sense.

And I see plenty of games for the hardcore (which is a completely ridiculous way of looking at it, but whatever). What exactly do you want Nintendo to give you?

ON TOPIC: MW2 looks awesome. I'm kind of disappointed that Soap isn't dashingly handsome, though.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 06 Jun 2009, 03:12

I would love to see them use Natal in a game to do something like scan you in and either apply a map to a character or come up with an algorithm that would approximate your features onto the character if you wanted to.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 06 Jun 2009, 03:20

Kag wrote:That you use as an example a game for which we have seen only a two minute trailer speaks volumes about your argument, even disregarding that your judgment of it makes absolutely no sense.

And I see plenty of games for the hardcore (which is a completely ridiculous way of looking at it, but whatever). What exactly do you want Nintendo to give you?

ON TOPIC: MW2 looks awesome. I'm kind of disappointed that Soap isn't dashingly handsome, though.

Well its just that Nintendo almost always takes their IP's into new directions. The jump from something like Sunshine to Galaxy was big, just like from SMB2(the real one) to SMB3 and then to SMWorld and then Mario 64, and there was SMRPG and Paper Mario and everything. The formula and gameplay is essentially the same amongst these in many ways but they are very different in style and substance.

But now its just sequel. True, we haven't seen it all of course, but so far it seems to be just a sequel with new bosses and a few new features right now.
Sillyman
First Video: No idea

Postby Sillyman » 06 Jun 2009, 11:21

From what I have seen, the gap between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is about as large as the gap between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World.

And on similar aspects, too. (Yoshi, Koopa Kids, Powerups, blahdeblah)
Multiversal Coordinate System syntax:
MCS:S:C:G:S:P:LAT,LNG;
YYYYDDDHHMMSSmmmuuunnnpppfffaaazzzyyy..plancktimesgohere..;
ID.
The location and time portions can be truncated. Time is Earth (MCS:0:0:0:0:3;;0.) time.

Return to “Video Games”