WoW /played and my justification.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
James
LRR Crew

WoW /played and my justification.

Postby James » 10 Jun 2009, 16:04

So I have been a WoW player on and off since March of 2005. I love that game. I would argue I have some of the fondest memories of playing video games with that game (Nothing will ever, EVER beat Goldeneye however)

Since March of 2005 I have played for a respectable 70 days (that is just a nice round number, but should be withing a day played up or down) Now you might say thats a lot, and you would be right.

70 Days of Play = 1680 Hours of play time.
That equals about 2 weeks of play every year since I started.

This is something I am not ashamed of (I'm sure my GF would think otherwise :) Obviously if I was I wouldn't be posting this information, but heres what makes me smile.

1680 Hours of play. Lets say for the sake of this thread an average console game is 15 hours (in some cases that is being entirely to generous and in others, not so much) but lets go with 15.

1680/15 = 112 Average length video games.
Since my first day of WoW, until now I have spent 600 dollars on my subscription.

112 Video games at 65 bucks a pop... 7280.00 Dollars.

I think I have made a good investment.

What about the rest of you WoW players out there!?
Whats your /played? How long have you been playing? How many toons is that spread over?

For me the answer is this. My Hunter, of whom I started the game with and played up until 70 sits at 40 days played. Almost 60% of my time played in WoW was on a single toon.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: WoW /played and my justification.

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 16:19

I don't play MMOs and have never played WOW, but I don't think its bad that you have amassed a large amount of playtime. As long as you think you're having fun and it hasn't been a waste then keep on keeping on.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 10 Jun 2009, 16:33

True, true.

After re-reading that post it kinda comes across I am defending myself against some sort of attack against WoW, that isn't the case.

I am actually more interested in what other WoW players have amassed when it comes to time played.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 16:56

Oh, I didn't think you were trying to defend yourself persay, it sounded like you were just asking where everyone else was at, I was just responding to your bit about not being ashamed. I was just saying that its not bad to put a lot of time into something you have fun with.

I mean I've put over 180 hours into Oblivion, and probably about the same into Fallout 3 by now. There are a lot games I love and sink a lot of time into. Even something like Dead Space I have put like 30 hours into. I'll probably throw another 15 into it sometime. BioShock I've played through twice and got 100% in acheivements. That took probably 30 - 40 hours. Of course I generally take a lot of time in games with exploration. Mass Effect I have like 30 hours on one guy I think. Saints Row 1 has about 50 hours and SR2 probably about 25 for now. I just got Sacred 2 and have put about 8 hours into it and so far I can see getting around 50-60 hours in it.

So even though I don't play MMOs, I like to put time into game I have fun with. If it becomes a chore I might find it stupid but I'm having fun.
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 10 Jun 2009, 17:29

My /played time in WoW is something I am not really proud of to share, but ok here goes.

On my main, and most played character, 121 days and 10 hours.
An estimate of all my characters combined would be over 160 days.

Like I said, not my proudest achievement.

I have played since Feb 2005. The first 7 months as a NE rogue, and then after some searching around as my current main a NE Druid, always Resto as mainspec.
At a cost of about 600 euro's + 6 euro's for the keychain security token. Thats still ok vallue compaired to game you pay 50 euro's for and then only play 10 hours or so until you finish them.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jun 2009, 17:41

I have no doubt that financially WoW is a good investment. It just has the nasty habit of sucking all your life away.

I never got that into it, and I haven't played it in two years, but I still feel the draw back every now and then to hack stuff apart. Lacking a credit card and immediate access to a game card, I generally just install the WarCrack beta, aka Diablo, instead. Or to a random FPS and blow shit up instead.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 Jun 2009, 17:44

My /played over all toons is something like 80 days; I leveled them all before they made quests give 2x the XP, and Outlands ridiculously fast (not that it wasn't already.) I've been playing since I think June 2005 (it MAY have been 2006). I definitely don't mind saying I've invested that much time in it, as it is well, WELL worth the money, and even 80 days isn't that much time: people spend far, far more than that on other hobbies, or even other videogames. Hell, I know a guy that played over 25 days of PHANTASY STAR ONLINE FOR THE GAMECUBE. OFFLINE.

Solid, solid investment. If you enjoy the game, it's one of the best deals in entertainment.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 10 Jun 2009, 18:12

Totally not judging, but I'd measure the opposite way. In all that time, you could have experienced 112 "average" games' worth of content from 112 different artistic styles and perspectives, instead of WoW which has MAYBE ten or twenty average games' worth of content with just one group's artistic input. TIME > MONEY, I say.

That said, at least you were probably playing with human beings, right? I almost never played with humans in WoW, and I still probably put almost 10 days into it. Never even got to 60.
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 10 Jun 2009, 18:51

been playing my rogue since original release day, haven't checked in a couple of years and well I'm thinking it isn't going to be be a pleasant number.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 10 Jun 2009, 20:36

notomtolose wrote:Totally not judging, but I'd measure the opposite way. In all that time, you could have experienced 112 "average" games' worth of content from 112 different artistic styles and perspectives, instead of WoW which has MAYBE ten or twenty average games' worth of content with just one group's artistic input. TIME > MONEY, I say.

That said, at least you were probably playing with human beings, right? I almost never played with humans in WoW, and I still probably put almost 10 days into it. Never even got to 60.

While I would say I haven't played as many other games while playing WoW, its not like I just stopped play all other games to just focus on WoW, I have played a lot of great games over the past 4 years. And its not like I can't go back and play them now, or even 10 years from now.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 10 Jun 2009, 21:49

Since November of 2004 (first day) ive played definately over 100 days, no justification needed, and i havent played in acouple months now, speaking of which, i think ima go ask for a scroll of ressurection, later.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 10 Jun 2009, 22:55

Only started recently, stopped due to exams but it's one of those games where I think "I'll play for an hour.....Awh man i've been on here for two weeks" due to it's ability to make you think oh I just finished one quest, I can do another one and it won't take long, far too addictive.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 10 Jun 2009, 23:04

Uh, wow. That's a hard question. I can tell you I've poured $660 CAN into the game over the past 4 years(Anniversary was on April 20th), and that I've played... a SIGNIFICANT amount of hours. I can't actually add it all up cause I quit, so.. there's no way for me to check it. Not to mention I've sold a couple of characters that I put a LOT of time and effort into, but I can't tell you in days, persay.

Lesse, my warrior and priest were both up to 80, with plenty of time raiding at 70 and 80. My mage raided at 60, and then again at 70. My hunter and druid both had a lot of time played at 70. My first warrior and priest combo had an excessive amount of time played between the two of them, and I've had so many alts I've lost track. God. Okay. I've spent a LOT of time playing WoW, so I'm kinda glad I quit!
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Aziraphale

Postby Aziraphale » 11 Jun 2009, 05:35

I don't think most people need to justify the time spent playing a game, or this game in particular. I started WoW at release and have had varying levels of activity on many characters over the last 4.5 years, and I've never regretted the fun I've had or the social connections I've made. I won't even make a guess on my /played days, and haven't even checked in ages.

If one keeps a level head about what they do with their free time, there's absolutely nothing wrong spending a lot of time playing WoW - or watching a lot of TV - or devouring a stack of books - or spending a couple hours every weekend watching new releases in the movie theater. I can think of plenty worse ways to while away the hours!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 11 Jun 2009, 07:44

I tend not to play videogames THAT much, however I have sunk a lot of time into Rome Total War, KotOR and a few other RPGs in my time. I've plyed a fair amount of Halo: Combat Evolved at varying dificulties. I've also played quite a few Pokemon games which are grindtastic.

I think you're estimate of 15 hours for a game is a little harsh. Maybe for a first play through of a shooter 15 hours is fair, but RPS's and strategy games tend to have more depth and scope for a lot of game time. Similarly even shooters have replay value and you cna play them online, again lengthening gameplay. While WoW may have a greater scope for sinking lots of time into it, most good games will have more than 15 hours of gameplay.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 11 Jun 2009, 10:36

I would have to reinstall the game and sub to check but if I had to guess, well over 120 days. My account was started back in Nov 27, 2005 (about a week after it came out)

120 days * 24 Hours = 2880 hours.
$405(month sub) + $50(character transfers) = $455 USD = $500 CAD.

2880 hours / 15 hours(average game length) = 192 games.
192 games * 60 bucks = $11520.

In some cases WoW was alot of fun but I would have loved to take about 90 days or so back. I played WoW alot while I was unemployed and I also spent too much time on sorting out QQs from everyone (yeah I played on 2 retarded servers)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Jun 2009, 10:56

the really depressing part of all this, is that my total time played on my pally is a little over 43 days and I have 3 pieces of T8.5 to show for it. James, how's your gear looking? :p

unfortunately, it looks like my 70 rogue got deleted at some point during my being hacked, and I cannot calculate my total time played, but I'm betting, altogether, about 60 days.

-m

I am not angry at you.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 11 Jun 2009, 14:27

Let me reiterate, totally not judging. I played WoW too for a long time, and I probably would have played as much as you if I had any friends to do it with. Also, the human interaction totally factors in. You can't put a 'content value' on that.

I'm just saying, while you saved lots of money, you also only did one thing in terms of cultural experience. That's not good or bad, it's just another way to look at it, and I think it's important to look at stuff like that from all sides whenever possible. If something is taking up a hundred days of your life, you should probably at least spend a few minutes thinking about whether it's really worth it. Otherwise, you might regret it someday.

I mean, some people do the same, simple job (or hobby) their entire lives and enjoy it, and there is totally a profound value in finding that kind of stability, peace and contentment in life. On the other hand, there's also value in trying lots of different experiences, and that value doesn't disappear even if you make less money at it.

After all, even if you spent literally 100% of your entire life seeking out cultural experiences, and even if you lived forever, you would still never run out of new stuff you could potentially enjoy. There are more cool songs being heard, books being read, films being watched and games being played than you will ever get around to in your whole life. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play WoW for a hundred days or even a thousand days, it's just something to think about. There's no way to get to everything anyway, you might as well stick with what you know, right?

One more example. There are enough videos on the internet RIGHT NOW that I could be watching cool new stuff probably forever. Instead, I'm here on the LRR forums hanging out talking with other people who happen to like this one internet video comedy troupe from Victoria, 'cause hey - they're JUST THAT GOOD. At least I think so.

If WoW is that good to you, then by all means! On the other hand, if it only seems okay because it saves you money, then just be sure that it's ENOUGH money. After all, you can make yourself more money, but you can't make yourself more life.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 11 Jun 2009, 15:04

Matt wrote:the really depressing part of all this, is that my total time played on my pally is a little over 43 days and I have 3 pieces of T8.5 to show for it. James, how's your gear looking? :p

Most of that time was accumulated during my time at level 60, back in the good old days of WoW. And back then my gear was alright.

Notomtolose:

WoW is a great money saver. It's not the reason I played it. I had many real life friends in game and while the friends I made in game have stayed that way (in game) I have met some amazing people over the past 4.5 years.

I have in no way missed out in partaking in other "cultural experiences" WoW never took over my life as it does some. In fact I would say of all my Real Life friends who have played the game none of them ever let WoW take over their lives, sure we have made plans around WoW, but what a lot of people don't understand is that you are playing with other people.

I can 100% assure you, 30 years from now I won't look back and go, "FUCK, if only I hadn't spent 70 days of my life playing WoW in my early 20's I would be something"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Jun 2009, 15:09

it's true, I schedule my raids into my week, (t/w, 6-9) and the rest of my week is spent doing other things. occasionally I'll dabble with it in my spare time, or farm gold to keep my repair bills paid in game, but I play other games, watch an inordinate number of films, and consume an absolutely ludicrous amount of music. I keep up to date with news and current events. I work 2 jobs. I act in movies on this cool website you may have heard of. I certainly don't have wow as my only cultural experience.

-m

I am not angry at you.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Jun 2009, 15:38

James wrote:I can 100% assure you, 30 years from now I won't look back and go, "FUCK, if only I hadn't spent 70 days of my life playing WoW in my early 20's I would be something"

That sentiment, I assume will be related to OTHER events in your early 20's.
Ben

Postby Ben » 11 Jun 2009, 23:27

Code: Select all

Mage   62:  31d 16h 15m
Priest 70:  75d 21h 29m
Rogue  29:   4d  8h 21m
Druid  70:  12d 14h 36m
Shaman 70:  14d  3h 26m
Druid  80:  21d 14h 19m
Pally  71:   7d 10h 34m
------------------------
Total:     167d 17h  0m

I hate myself.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 11 Jun 2009, 23:32

That's kind of cool the total is exactly to 0 minutes.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 12 Jun 2009, 00:07

Every time I open Altoholic to search for an item I'm reminded of this.
297 days, since launch, across all my characters.

I was in high school when wow launched and started with a rogue. Shortly afterwards was I was bedridden by unrelated health issues. Not being very social to begin with I was left with more free time than I knew what to do with. So, I played WoW. I geared up my rogue through to BWL, and had a mage alt that was doing MC/Onyxia runs. A large part of my played time is due what most would consider "full time raiding" on two separate characters.
Quit the game with the release of AQ when things started getting better and, well, I just needed to focus my time elsewhere.

Came back for TBC, I leveled the mage and rogue to 70, got both kara keyed/geared. When my health problems popped up again I decided to roll a new character, an elemental shaman. The character grew on me and I ended up doing kara through to to the Muru in Sunwell. Shortly before the sunwell patch I also leveled a draenei paladin, switching between ret, prot and holy every 10 levels or so and geared it up as ret/prot for 10mans at 80.

Now with WOTLK I've cut down (though only in comparison). Due largely to graduating and finding employment, and the health issues coming under control again (Not specifically in that order). I've just got the Paladin at 80, though I'm doing Ulduar 25 as ret (Full t8.5 level gear), and Ulduar 10 as prot, so you could count it as 1 1/2 characters :(

In addition to all that I also generally leave WoW running in the background when I'm at home which probably accounts for at least 50 days, especially after upgrading to a quad core computer a couple months before WOTLK hit, and being able to run TF2 smoothly on high with WoW minimized :oops:

Either way, I'm fine spending $20 a month to keep myself occupied, doing semi-social activities during time that I'd have otherwise spent in front of a TV
Last edited by ANeMzero on 12 Jun 2009, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.
and now; back to me.
Ben

Postby Ben » 12 Jun 2009, 00:33

They're in the order I started them, the 29 rogue is twinked to the point that only twink hunters and rogues have a shot at him.

My priest gained a lot of time after I got laid off from work. I didn't really raid that much, mostly just ran a lot of heroics and kara.

Return to “Video Games”