Which FF should I play next?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

Which game should I play?

FF VII
14%
FF IX
55%
FF X-2
9%
FF XII
23%

Total votes: 22
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Which FF should I play next?

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Jul 2009, 17:23

I am bored and I just finished replaying FFX. So now, I am trying to decide which one to play next. As most of you are infinetly more knowledgable about games than I am, here's the choices and some comments:

FF VII - I've played this one before, years ago, but never finished it. I remember most of the story though, as I only missed the very end.

FF IX
- I've played the first hour or so (to where the ship crashes in the forest) and it seems a little *cutsie* to me. The whole plot so far seems to be about a princess running away from home and the characters seem a little bland. Does it get better? I like a more dramatic story than a silly story.

FF X-2
- I really like X, but I've been told that X-2 is not as good. I liked the characters and the story in X and would want the same kind of feel to it.

FF XII - I don't know much of anything about this one, actually. My brother says I would like the story, but probably not like the battle system.

I already read the coments that a few people made in another recent thread, but I was curious what other people would say or recommend. My decidion may or may not be influenced by your responses :)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Which FF should I play next?

Postby Matt » 03 Jul 2009, 17:54

FFIX is no more "cutsie" than FFVII was. people just like to think that FFVII was that way due to technical limitations, and remember it as darker than it actually was. yes, it gets better, it gets significantly more dramatic, and is easily my favorite in the series. The princess running away is just a jumping-off point for the rest of the story, which, at the point you got to, you wouldn't even have started to scratch the surface of.

As far as XII is concerned, it's a tactics story. Political intrigue, betrayal, national conflict... star wars.

The battle system initially feels like it's different, but it's actually just the ATB with the need to select "attack" every round of combat automated. Get your head around that fact, and you'll like it just fine.

-m

I am not angry at you.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 03 Jul 2009, 18:17

Id say X-2. I only rented it and never finished but i loved it.
Second choice being FFXII, i only played the demo that came with Dragon Quest 8 but from what i saw in the two levels it was a lot of fun. You can alternate between the classic-ish battle system or the new kind.

I also recommend playing the classics.
FFI is such an amazing game even for todays standards.Im debating whether to buy the psp version.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 Jul 2009, 18:32

X-2's gamepaly is solid. Some of the final side missions are ridiculusly convoluted, and i really couldn't get behind the dialogue or most of the plot.

Its got newgame+ modes, which youll need if you want to set your chracters up to break mechanics and get through the crazy 100floor no-interruption random dungeon full of Super-tonberries.
Or to POSSIBLY get everyones final meta-job classes.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 03 Jul 2009, 19:45

I couldn't get passed 9's graphical style and never got much farther then you. Vivi was the only likable character and although awesome couldn't the introduction of the game well enough to make me interested completing it.

X-2 is just plain a lot of fun. The story is alright, but the gameplay is really enjoyable.

VII's story is ruined by the sequels. It's a great example of when developers shouldn't listen to the fans.

XII seems pretty bland from what I have seen, which is mostly the end.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 03 Jul 2009, 20:21

I never played X-2, and really have no interest in it.
I vote IX because it's a good story. It may look cutsie, but it is a really fun game that really just pays homage to all the old school Final Fantasies. It gets a bum rap for the reason that newer Final Fantasy players (people who never played an FF before VII) didn't really get it because they were more used to more realistic graphics. I found some moments in IX to be rather moving. It's solid. Play it to the end, if ot next then at least sometime. Seriously, if graphics are the only reason you're turned off by the game, just grin and bear. it because that's (IMO) a lame excuse.
VII is a great game, if a bit over-rated by fantards. Worth playing through to the end
XII I haven't finished, but I was enjoying the political story behind it. My only sticking point to that is how much of the story is told via someone narrating it while the words appear on the screen. It's a small downside, but since I haven't beaten it I can't recommend it 100%... but I was really enjoying it.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Kag

Postby Kag » 03 Jul 2009, 20:59

Pretty much what Matt said, with a minor addition: if you think you should play X-2, just play Tactics instead. All the fun of job-based rpg gameplay, but it also has a story and characters that won't make you vomit.
Kaseladen

Postby Kaseladen » 03 Jul 2009, 21:52

XI is probably my favorite of the series. X was fairly enjoyable, but X2 makes it lose points in my book. 7 is probably my second favorite of the series (if we don't count tactics. They'd probably be tied then) On that note, as someone mentioned, try tactics out.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 03 Jul 2009, 23:19

My vote's on 7. I detested X-2, the story was pretty bad in 12 but the hunts and side-quests were fun and 9 was actually pretty good.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jul 2009, 00:40

I couldn't get passed 9's graphical style and never got much farther then you. Vivi was the only likable character and although awesome couldn't the introduction of the game well enough to make me interested completing it.

1. IX's grapphical style is VII's graphical style, just done with better graphics. Seriously. Character proportions, character animations, the whole bit, one is just steampunk and early PSX, the other is steam-fantasy and late PSX.
2. There is absolutely no way you can call a character judgement on FFIX 2 hours in.

It gets a bum rap for the reason that newer Final Fantasy players (people who never played an FF before VII) didn't really get it because they were more used to more realistic graphics.

And those people are remembering FFVII as being more "realistic" than it actually was.

I found some moments in IX to be rather moving.

My second favorite ending to a video game -ever-

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 04 Jul 2009, 00:54

Final Fantasy VIII
i dont know what's happening anymore
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 04 Jul 2009, 01:50

Lavos wrote:Final Fantasy VIII

I've already played VIII. One of only two I have ever finished.

After I played a couple hours of IX to try it out, I thought I would do the same for XII, and so far I am liking it. The battle system is a bit silly, because I just sit there while my characters fight for me, but I'm hoping it will develop more. It's also hilarious that you have to buy a license to wear clothes.

If I do decide to stick with XII, I'll feel bad about ditching IX though. I have heard so many good things about it, but XII did a better job of pulling me in right off the bat. I guess I prefer the more serious atmosphere it creates. Plus Balthier is just awesome.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jul 2009, 01:58

balthier is RAD.

and the battle system definitely does develop, a lot, but it takes about 12 hours of gameplay to really get into full swing.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 04 Jul 2009, 09:51

World trash in FF12 has made me stop playing it several times. I stikres me as far more repedetive than other FF encouters. possibly becuase of the lack of doing shit.

if i could effectively run from enemies without having to cross a area border, i would like it alot more i think.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 04 Jul 2009, 10:46

Tapir12, what about Final Fantasy VI or V ? Or does it have to be 3D?

If not, then I can suggest VI ( III US ). It's has a great storyline, altough some people think it goes a bit downwards after you reach a certain "no spoiler" point.

If you have played it, maybe you should try the Jap version ( translated to english ) some people say the Jap version is a better game because they claim some parts of the story got lost in translation to the US version.

Also about FF IX, yes the story gets better after a bit from what I remember, but it still revolves alot around a princess and her rescuers. ( Never finished it myself )
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 04 Jul 2009, 11:06

Smidge wrote:Tapir12, what about Final Fantasy VI or V ? Or does it have to be 3D?

If not, then I can suggest VI ( III US ). It's has a great storyline, altough some people think it goes a bit downwards after you reach a certain "no spoiler" point.

If you have played it, maybe you should try the Jap version ( translated to english ) some people say the Jap version is a better game because they claim some parts of the story got lost in translation to the US version.

Also about FF IX, yes the story gets better after a bit from what I remember, but it still revolves alot around a princess and her rescuers. ( Never finished it myself )

If you're going to go old school Final Fantasy, you should play IV. VI is a great game to be sure, but IV is my favorite and often overlooked I feel.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 04 Jul 2009, 11:26

I have an unending love affair with FFIV, but I really did enjoy X-2. It's incredibly fluffy and very silly, but it's fun.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 04 Jul 2009, 11:46

Smidge wrote:Tapir12, what about Final Fantasy VI or V ? Or does it have to be 3D?
I didn't include the older games simply because I don't have easy access to them. I am using my brother's PS3 and his games, and the ones I listed are the ones he owns. I'm sure I could rent them if I really wanted to, but I already have these other games sitting in front of me.

I did actually play part of 6 way back with a friend who owned it. I think I got stuck on some island and couldn't figure out how to get off and never went any further.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 04 Jul 2009, 12:55

I'm currently ploughing my way through 12. The battle system is interesting enough to make grinding fun, and the storyline is better than some. However, 9 is a classic.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 04 Jul 2009, 14:38

Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1, is also a good game.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 04 Jul 2009, 19:11

Matt wrote:

1. IX's grapphical style is VII's graphical style, just done with better graphics. Seriously. Character proportions, character animations, the whole bit, one is just steampunk and early PSX, the other is steam-fantasy and late PSX.
2. There is absolutely no way you can call a character judgement on FFIX 2 hours in.

1. That's not true. The chibi graphics are used through out 9's cut scenes, battles, and so on. 7 only used chibi-characters in enviroments.
2. I played up to where you're guys are chased by some black mage-like guy on an airship. I don't know how long it took me, but it was long enough for me to lose interest in the game. However I also was playing it well after it was released.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jul 2009, 19:39

1. That's not true. The chibi graphics are used through out 9's cut scenes, battles, and so on. 7 only used chibi-characters in enviroments.

the chibi style is actually used n the majority of FFVII's cutscenes, as well - I'm playing it right now. The only time a more realistic style is reliably used is in the battle sequences.

that said, the humour, and character mannerisms are all very much the same between the two.

Think of barrett when he gets angry, or Cid's goofy run, or cloud's akward shrug. Seriously, people just used their imaginations to make 7 feel more real, and didn't so much when 9 came out. In fact, on the average, 9's characters are probably MORE approriately proportioned.

-m
Last edited by Matt on 04 Jul 2009, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

I am not angry at you.
Kaseladen

Postby Kaseladen » 04 Jul 2009, 20:40

Lavos wrote:Final Fantasy VIII

I have a hatred for FF8 that burns with the white hot intensity of 1000 suns. Nothing redeeming do I find in that game.

As for 7's sequels, There's only technically been two. Crisis Core was pretty solid, Dirge of Cerberus was sadly not.

XII I played but just couldn't get into. I didn't care for the battle system (felt like some weirdly formed mmo to me) and the plot was very lackluster imo.

VI Is the only FF I've yet to play, but I've heard good things from everyone so look into that one.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 05 Jul 2009, 10:14

Seriously, play IX. It gets way better than it initially appears. I actually liked the style because it felt like a return to the series's roots over VIII.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 05 Jul 2009, 14:51

Crisis Core was a prequel.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “Video Games”