I bought a PS3 a couple of days ago.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Shea

I bought a PS3 a couple of days ago.

Postby Shea » 28 Jul 2009, 06:13

I recently bought a PS3. I got the out-of-production North American 60GB because it would be stupid to pay the same price for the crippled-ass 80GB version that has half the features.

I am LOVING this machine, and I am quite pissed at myself for not getting one earlier! All the nifty little doo-dads and features this thing has are wonderful! If all PS3 games install themselves to the system, I'm going to love it even more, 'cause I won't have to deal with disc reading errors and skipping from poorly handled rentals. I LOVE that I can transfer Mp3's and videos from my computer to my PSP then to my PS3. AVGN is now playing on my TV. What a treat!

So far the only games I have for it are Bioshock and R-type Delta, but I will be getting Bionic Commando Rearmed and Mega Man 9. (I have the 360 version of BCR, and the 360 and Wii versions of Mega Man 9, but I'm getting them again for comparisons sake.)

Now I'll be able to play and review PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies. So look for those.

So now you know the backstory... Good day!
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Lorithad

Re: I bought a PS3 a couple of days ago.

Postby Lorithad » 28 Jul 2009, 06:57

Welcome to the club!
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 28 Jul 2009, 06:59

Congratulations. Be sure to play Uncharted before Matt finds you.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 28 Jul 2009, 07:22

Play Uncharted and InFamous. Both are very good games
Shea

Postby Shea » 28 Jul 2009, 08:17

Tchuh! A real LRR cast member just gave me a recommendation! I'm not worthy!

But I will definitely try both titles. How's Heavenly Sword?
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 28 Jul 2009, 08:49

I heard heavenly sword was a pretty mediocre slash 'n hack. However I do here good things about Valkyria Cronicles. Not that they have anything in common.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 28 Jul 2009, 12:33

From what I played of the demo, Heavenly Sword is pretty poor. Uncharted and inFamous are both awesome and I recommend Ratchet and Clank as well, that game is great fun.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 28 Jul 2009, 13:28

If you value your continued existence, you'll go out and get uncharted as soon as you read this.

You've been warned.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 28 Jul 2009, 13:30

Killzone 2 and Littlebigplanet are also other games you must try.

But Uncharted first then everything else after.
AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » 28 Jul 2009, 16:53

I'm going to join in on the Uncharted love fest here, and also reccomend infamous. Valkyria Chronicles was an extremely fun game as well. LittleBigPlanet is another solid choice.
What?

Postby What? » 28 Jul 2009, 18:48

I'll go against the grain and say that Uncharted is nothing special. A solid rental. Personally I'd grab Disgaea 3 and Folklore first.
dooberry
First Video: Fun with Condoms

Postby dooberry » 28 Jul 2009, 19:02

I don't personally own a PS3, but I hear Metal Gear Solid 4 is a pretty good movie.
AKAnotu wrote:.... LittleBigPlanet is another solid choice.

By the way, you missed a great chance for a pun. Huh, "solid choice." Huh....
I
HATE
BIG
SIGNATURES

knife to meet you, I am a SPY
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 Jul 2009, 21:12

Congrats & enjoy! I already plan to purchase a PS3 the week The Last Guardian is released. At first I was annoyed to hear they dropped the backwards compatibility, but then I remembered I still have a perfectly good, working PS2 & PSOne.

I'm looking forward to playing a few of the now-current games but I can wait until my system-seller is out before actually buying them.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 28 Jul 2009, 21:20

While they claim they dropped backwards compatibility, on the few PS2 and PS1 games i've tried, they've worked in my PS3. 80gb model, two USB ports, no SD card slot.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 28 Jul 2009, 21:29

Meh, I'm a PC game man myself, but the PS3 is one of the cheapest Blue-Ray players on market, AND I can play Crash Team Racing! :D
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 28 Jul 2009, 21:43

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming. But PC gaming takes up the vast majority of my game time. I really want to make an effort to get back into the consoles. Despite my hatred for the analog sticks. I refuse to play console first person shooters. Give me a mouse and keyboard any day.

RPGs though, consoles are great. Third person games, guitar hero-esque games Consoles are defiantly something that should not be ignored as much as I have been.

*sigh* I'd probably be playing infamous right now if I hadn't lent it to a friend.
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 29 Jul 2009, 06:26

Lorithad wrote:While they claim they dropped backwards compatibility, on the few PS2 and PS1 games i've tried, they've worked in my PS3. 80gb model, two USB ports, no SD card slot.

Since all PS3 units use the same firmware, they all have the same software emulation capability. The Emotion Engine has been emulated for a long time. I suppose any PS2 game that doesn't make use of the Graphic Synthesizer chip would work fine on any SKU. There are likely resulting graphical issues throughout though.
Shea

Postby Shea » 03 Aug 2009, 14:44

Okay, so I've gotten quite a few games for my new baby.

One of which is the infamous Mobile Suit Gundam : Crossfire. (The Gundam nut got a Gundam game for his first PS3 game review? Say it ain't so!)

I wanted to see if the game was as bad as most have told me, so I went down to my local Blockbuster, and took it home to seemingly torture myself.
At first , I had only rented it, but the price to own it was just 5 dollars so I said "Fuck it, what could it hurt?". Now you may expect me to tear this game a new turd cutter, but considering how cheap you can get it nowadays, I'm more lenient than usual.

I went in in expecting utter chaos and rivers of ass that run for miles.
But the truth is that this game doesn't deserve anywhere NEAR the amount of flak it gets.

Graphics :
The graphics in Crossfire for the most part are pretty nice with lots of attention to detail. The machines look incredibly realistic, and you can see bullet marks appear on your machine when you take damage. Mobile Suits can also lose limbs, and even their heads in battle!

Truly the amount of detail in this game surpasses most Gundam games from the past by a mile and is a thing of beauty, however the graphics in this game, while good, are apparently too much for my PS3 to handle, because there is rampant slowdown throughout the WHOLE game! The sheer amount of slowdown and framerate problems in this game is an issue the size of a goddamned Naval carrier. EVERY level has loads of slowdown, but for the most part it's acceptable to a degree. I mean c'mon, if slowdown was my biggest pet peeve, I would absolutely HATE R-Type Final, instead it's one of my favorite SHMUPS of all time. If you treat the slowdown like it's just a feature of the game, you'll learn to ignore it.

Gameplay :
The game plays similarly to Journey to Jaburo or Lost War Chronicles. The game is a mobile suit SIMULATOR, so it's gonna be slow and clunky like the actual machines were in the One Year War.

Some suits are better than others, but I've noticed that the Earth Federation has a fucking HUGE advantage over the Zeon, because most Zeon mobile suits suck ass, and therefore the Zeon campaign is a MUCH more difficult shit creek to paddle through.

I mentioned earlier that machines can get their limbs busted and even blown off, and yes this can happen to your machine too. If your machine loses it's arms, you're fucked, because pretty much the only thing you can do to your enemy at that point is hobble your cripple ass over there and kick him in the shins until he either dies or gets pissed off and shoots the shit out of you.

You are capable of upgrading your machines and purchasing new ones as well as recruiting new pilots with the points you've earned in battle, and I suggest you use every God blessed one of 'em. Your enemies will get much tougher down the line, and if your still rockin' the GM by the time the MP Guncannon rolls out, you're gonna get your cheap ass shot off as you should.

Now there are lots of glitches in the game but I've never had one that impacted gameplay, so it's not a factor here.

Replayability:
The biggest flaw in my opinion is how short this game is.
If you storm through the game and make the Zeon or EFSF forces your personal bitches as fast as you can, you'll be done in about 2 hours. No kidding.

But thankfully there's loads of customizations and mobile suits to try, from the God amongst machines himself, The Gundam, to the obscure and awkward transformable tank, The Hildolfr.
There's also a VS. mode but unfortunately, A) no one is online to allow me to try it, and B) my internet speed is so horrible that I can't do online multiplayer, PERIOD.

So there you have it, my first PS3 title review. I give this game an honest 7.5 out of 10, docking off two points for the slowdown and short game length, and and a half a point for Zeons suits failing so hard. Now I know why they lost the war. I like the game just fine and I'm satisfied with it, but I wouldn't pay more than 30 dollars for it. If you can find it for as cheap as I did, just nab the thing. What could it hurt?
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 03 Aug 2009, 22:14

James wrote:Play Uncharted and Prototype. Both are very good games

Fixed that for you, buddy.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 04 Aug 2009, 09:43

It's funny how much love heavenly Sword got untill some games that were actually really good came out for PS3.
Shea

Postby Shea » 04 Aug 2009, 11:06

Nevrmore wrote:
James wrote:Play Uncharted and Prototype. Both are very good games

Fixed that for you, buddy.

Maybe so, but Prototype is not a PS3 exclusive title.
That's why he recommended inFamous.
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 04 Aug 2009, 12:22

Fat Princess! It's so much fun!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 04 Aug 2009, 12:43

Whatevs, you still don't have 3 PS3s.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Shea

Postby Shea » 04 Aug 2009, 14:17

Jillers wrote:Whatevs, you still don't have 3 PS3s.

What... Why would you... How could you justify... *Head esplodie*
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 04 Aug 2009, 15:07

Shea wrote:What... Why would you... How could you justify... *Head esplodie*

Well uh.. I have purchased three PS3s. My own, my mother's and my father's. (My parents being divorced). The obvious reason for theirs being Blu-ray players but they've been surprising me with how many games they play. My mom's currently big into GH: Metallica (as am I). My dad has been kicking my ass at Motorstorm Pacific Rift lately.

Return to “Video Games”