Collector's Editions

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Collector's Editions

Postby theDreamer » 10 Aug 2009, 13:53

There wasn't a topic about this on the first page, and I wasn't going to necro any, so I'm starting a new one and I'm sorry if its a repeat.

Thoughts on collectors editions? I only own the Fallout 3 collector's, and its awesome.

I want both the Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed 2 collector's, because I like cool stuff, and they give some pretty cool stuff.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Collector's Editions

Postby Sable » 10 Aug 2009, 14:02

If you release a "Limited" or "Collector's" or god help me, "Legendary" version of a game I was going to buy anyway, I follow along with my wallet out like some kind of retarded monkey. I love collector's edition packages, even though the contents are almost invariably cheesy and in some way disappointing.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 10 Aug 2009, 14:35

It depends. I like it when the first printing of a game comes with some swag, but I'm generally not going to pay extra for anything.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 10 Aug 2009, 16:44

I was lucky enough to reserve a copy of the Call of Cthulhu 20th Anniversary Edition several years ago. I don't normally buy special editions of games I already own but this one was too tempting & gave me the opportunity to give my normal edition to a friend who also shares a love of Lovecraft.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 10 Aug 2009, 16:48

I'm a huge sucker for these sorts of thing...I've got the Bioshock LE, and my Big Daddy is still in it's packaging, and I've still got my Oblivion coin kicking around here somewhere...

I'm just glad that the Prestige edition of Modern Warfare 2 isn't coming for the PC...However the Statues fro both Assassin's Creed 2, and Splinter Cell Conviction look too awesome to pass up.

That being said it seems to be Collectors Editions with actual physical extras are more attractive to me than say something with an extra in-game map, or some kind of bonus weapon
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 10 Aug 2009, 17:14

I have these SE/CE/LCE/LE/L games:

Halo 2 (Xbox)
Halo 3 (360)
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)
World of Warcraft: The Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
Bioshock (360)
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (PC)
Saints Row 2 (360)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Grand Theft Auto 4 (360)
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Prey (PC)
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Rock Band (360)

I only get them if they come with a special package or loot, I don't care for in-game bonuses.
Plus you can't show off in-game stuff like you can real stuff.
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 10 Aug 2009, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 10 Aug 2009, 17:14

I agree InsaneFool. I want sweet stuff on my desk, showing just how awesome I am. In game extras are cool, but for the most part, I don't care.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Aug 2009, 17:56

I'd only get one if I had something I really really want. I should have gotten the Fallout 3 collectors edition, but decided against it. That's pretty much the only one so far that had caugh my eye.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Aug 2009, 19:45

I love and must have them. I hate that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 10 Aug 2009, 20:07

If it's something I'm going to get anyway, I'll go collector's. If I already own it, it will bother me that I may be missing out on content, but I'll let it go.
But I love that they exist, and when I can't get things right away and a collector's edition comes out, that's the version I get.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 10 Aug 2009, 21:39

i've never had one before, but i do plan to get the black edition of assassin's creed 2. it has a lot of content for only a little extra.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 10 Aug 2009, 21:41

As far as I can remember, the only "collectors edition" I have is the Spore Galactic Edition, which I purchased on the day of release anticipating the best game ever, only to be sorely disappointed. I think I got about 5 hours of play out of that game, which works out to 12$ per hour.

Since then, I have resolved to never buy a game until I have a guarantee it's actually good.

Related: anyone want to buy the Spore Galactic Edition?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Aug 2009, 22:34

Sable wrote:If you release a "Limited" or "Collector's" or god help me, "Legendary" version of a game I was going to buy anyway, I follow along with my wallet out like some kind of retarded monkey. I love collector's edition packages, even though the contents are almost invariably cheesy and in some way disappointing.

This.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 11 Aug 2009, 08:57

The only Collector's Editions I've ever purchased were for Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Warcraft III. The War3 one was awesome, but I've never really been enthusiastic about any others since. The upcoming Modern Warfare 2 CE intrigues me, but probably not enough to buy it.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 11 Aug 2009, 12:46

The only collectors/limited edition version I regret not getting was Bioshock.

I dont think i have bought any collectors edition games at all.
Unless you count Oblivion GOTY, it had a map of cyrodiil.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 12 Aug 2009, 13:50

Now, I do have to say this:

The Working Designs re-releases of Lunar: The Silver Star Story and Lunar: Eternal Blue are the goddamn gold standards against which every "collector's edition" must be judged. Those were fucking awesome.

Also, hardcover strategy guide for Eternal Blue? Yes please!
raden61
First Video: Terms of Friendship

Postby raden61 » 12 Aug 2009, 16:25

I do normally get collector's editions, but usually because their cheap and come with some cool gimmicks that are worth $10. I mean, if I'm going to get a game anyway, this collector's edition better be cool enough to be worth the 'upgrade' or have something that is helpful in different activities. I want to get the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition because night vision goggles could be useful in a "bad infomercial" kinda usefulness level, night vision goggles are at the cheapest I'd say $100 dollars US anyway, and playing any game at night is much more fun now if they don't know. Plus, I'm a sucker for art books and such.
Another collector's edition I'm excited about is the new Batman game. It comes with a bat-erang. I want it. Not necessarily the game though. So, I plan to go on eBay and buy a bat-erang no one wanted and save a lot of money.
I did buy the Survival Edition of Fallout 3, but regretted it. First off, my family members put the bobble-head in a drawer and it got bent at a nauseating degree a good week into owning it. Even worse, my Pipboy 3000 works for about a day before running out of juice in it's two brand new AA batteries. This happens every time. It now resides on the floor next to it's broken useless display stand. Let me rephrase that last bit. Next to it's broken out of the box display stand. Loved Fallout 3 though.
One thing I loved was if you reserved Assassin's Creed at Gamestop, it got upgraded to "Limited Edition." I didn't know this, so was pleasantly surprised by this turn of events (Although now I reserve with Amazon because it gets delivered same/next day and I don't have to get to the store in within two days. I do this because I lost a free hat I was supposed to get with Mercenaries 2, and was gonna give it to someone. But didn't. Awkwardly.) It came with a really cool DVD, art book, action figure I could care less for, a fantastic Penny Arcade, and all came in a cool metal tin. So, yea, I guess thats it. Bye.
GiantSeaPanda

Postby GiantSeaPanda » 16 Aug 2009, 13:52

Prestige edition of Modern Warfare 2 probably takes the cake for ridiculous extras. I bet this sparks a trend and you'll be able to purchase Metal Gear Solid: Rising with a fully functional exoskeleton for $50, 000, 000 if you preorder.
empath

Postby empath » 16 Aug 2009, 20:52

GiantSeaPanda wrote:Prestige edition of Modern Warfare 2 probably takes the cake for ridiculous extras. I bet this sparks a trend and you'll be able to purchase Metal Gear Solid: Rising with a fully functional exoskeleton for $50, 000, 000 if you preorder.

Actually, I know you're using hyperbole there, but I AM such a giant robot/Mecha fanatic that I'd consider massive larceny to afford such a legitimate offer of 'a fully functional exoskeleton'. And being an ardent PC-only gamer, I only have second- and third-hand experience regarding MGS. :)

"Game? What game - gimme a boost so I can take a look up around topside..."
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 16 Aug 2009, 20:58

Empath, I'm with you there.

Gundams ftw. I don't care if they make no sense.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Aug 2009, 21:03

Its only a matter of time before something like that happens. Daisy Outdoor Products orignally made pre-fabricated metal windmills to sell for farmers, and they came with free bb-guns as a purchasing bonus. Needless to say, they don't sell windmills anymore. So I would not put it past Sony, especially being Japanese, to become a major arms/exoskeleton manufacturer in the future.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
empath

Postby empath » 16 Aug 2009, 21:23

Yeah, but in all honesty, I could see a more traditionally diverse keiretsu like Fuyo (Hitachi, Nissan, Yamaha) or Mitsubishi (duh) being able to delve into (and keep it all in-house) the myriad technologies that would be needed to develop and produce such a complex weapon platform.

And 'make sense' isn't quite the issue here - bipedal combat vehicles do have advantages...albeit not to the scale of 'walking billboard targets' of Gundam or Battletech; try more modest scale exo's of say Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear, or the Battle Armor of Battletech/Mechwarrior - small enough to not attract huge amounts of fire, yet still a considerable 'force multiplier' for the outfit fielding them...
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 16 Aug 2009, 21:28

Mostly, just gundams are a logical issue: Massive, ornamental, and why the hell do they need fingers?

I would settle for any mech though. Any mech at all...
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Aug 2009, 21:42

While it would likely be easier for one of those other companies to build the mech itself, the hard part would be the control and processing systems....so maybe the entire Playstation line are just various revisions of the mech's control systems packaged as a game console for mass testing. Remember when Sony's game division lost $48 billion or something in one year? For that amount of money, I'm sure even in Japan that would be enough to build and hide a massive underground construction facility so they could start experimenting with the chassis.

...I'm awfully tempted to turn this into a full-fledged conspiracy theory at this point.
empath

Postby empath » 20 Aug 2009, 16:38

Master Gunner wrote:While it would likely be easier for one of those other companies to build the mech itself, the hard part would be the control and processing systems....so maybe the entire Playstation line are just various revisions of the mech's control systems packaged as a game console for mass testing. Remember when Sony's game division lost $48 billion or something in one year? For that amount of money, I'm sure even in Japan that would be enough to build and hide a massive underground construction facility so they could start experimenting with the chassis.

...I'm awfully tempted to turn this into a full-fledged conspiracy theory at this point.

Hmmmm...

Yeahhhh, in a derivation of 4chan's 'Rule #34', I'm going to state that: "If it is possible to conceive of a conspiracy theory, it has already been described and discussed somewhere on the Internet."

Hmmm, maybe the other Wacko Jacko was missing the mark only slightly? Instead of the industry 'training' the youth with "murder simulators", maybe they're really training the AIs to fight our wars for us? (...or even, against us)? ;)

Return to “Video Games”