commodoreHUSTLE 06 - Viral

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Over-analytical Nerd
First Video: Somebody Has to Change

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 03 Mar 2009, 13:48

We need someone who has links to Anonymous. I'm sure they could help the cause...

And glad to help keep things secret. :wink:
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 03 Mar 2009, 13:54

Matt wrote:it's working, but the break hit, while awesome, is only *so* helpful... we have no way of linking that back to commodoreHUSTLE.com (same for ebaums) we've prved that we can make a viral video, we haven't proved that we can make a viral video on youtube (it only has 2699 views on YT). And it's youtube we need to be making it big on.

-m

Do you have a way to link the YT back to cHustle? Would you just change the description if it hits the front page to link back to LRR? Over 4,000 views on YT now. FHM seems to have helped.
ChiUnit4evr
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby ChiUnit4evr » 03 Mar 2009, 13:56

ecocd wrote:
Matt wrote:it's working, but the break hit, while awesome, is only *so* helpful... we have no way of linking that back to commodoreHUSTLE.com (same for ebaums) we've prved that we can make a viral video, we haven't proved that we can make a viral video on youtube (it only has 2699 views on YT). And it's youtube we need to be making it big on.

-m

Do you have a way to link the YT back to cHustle? Would you just change the description if it hits the front page to link back to LRR? Over 4,000 views on YT now. FHM seems to have helped.
Have graham do a video response to himself. It should be pretty obvious from the get go that it's the same guy in the vid-response as was in the original vid. Put all the cH info in there. Something like that? Also that way there'll be a separate account towards which hatemail will be directed.
JJXB

Postby JJXB » 03 Mar 2009, 14:00

Over-analytical Nerd wrote:We need someone who has links to Anonymous. I'm sure they could help the cause...

bite the bullet and go on 4chan. and watch how others post before you post.
ChiUnit4evr
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby ChiUnit4evr » 03 Mar 2009, 14:01

JJXB wrote:
Over-analytical Nerd wrote:We need someone who has links to Anonymous. I'm sure they could help the cause...

that is a dangerous road you ask him to walk sir.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Mar 2009, 14:02

"Anonymous" isn't an actual thing, afaik. It's just what people on 4chan who don't give a name are labelled as.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 03 Mar 2009, 14:03

Break users claim that they hear a nunchuck striking a cup. Couldn't take one for the team, Graham? :P
JJXB

Postby JJXB » 03 Mar 2009, 14:04

ChiUnit4evr wrote:
JJXB wrote:

that is a dangerous road you ask him to walk sir.

i said 4chan. not /b/. /b/ WOULD be a dangerous road.
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 03 Mar 2009, 14:08

Morgan. Broke/Sprained his arm again!?

Jer and Tally? XD

Graham do you really hate Youtube?

Also what would be the first biggest influx of death threats that Paul has recieved?
Last edited by Mercenary on 03 Mar 2009, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Over-analytical Nerd

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 03 Mar 2009, 14:09

Tim wrote:

"Anonymous" isn't an actual thing, afaik. It's just what people on 4chan who don't give a name are labelled as.

Isn't it that weird group of people with masks who claim to control the internet? I just saw a vid a while back (not this one) saying they can easily decide what becomes popular. I honestly wouldn't know anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wlYUOgX-4

Also: Nun chuck fail is being copied!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7UONf4DnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHryUZiVmA
Is this a bad thing for stealing views from the original, or good for it's propagation of the vid (imitation is the highest form of flattery)? I'm not sure...
Last edited by Over-analytical Nerd on 03 Mar 2009, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
DicyDax

Postby DicyDax » 03 Mar 2009, 14:10

You say you like Swedish trance, eh Matt? Well, have some Swedish trance instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BisgKEBj ... re=related
HURR DURR!
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 03 Mar 2009, 14:11

Also: Nun chuck fail is being copied!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7UONf4DnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHryUZiVmA
Is this a bad thing for stealing views from the original, or good for it's propagation of the vid (imitation is the highest form of flattery)? I'm not sure...

I wouldn't neccessarily say it's a bad thing, but they won't have the ability to edit those ones later and link to LRR and commodoreHUSTLE, so it's not really a good thing either. Kind of unavoidable in any case.
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 03 Mar 2009, 14:21

The fact that its been copied by someone else and reposted means taht they like it and are spreading it. Hence, the "viral" part has begun albiet... Very slowly.

Also Matt and Morgan: I remember Matt say something about that. That is, Morgan goes ballistic when Matt doesnt get through the game as fast as possible. Am I remembering that correctly?

Also Paul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfXu1-9MXo

RE's account got #27 of most subscribed too... ITS WORKING! ITS WORKING!
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Mar 2009, 14:23

Over-analytical Nerd wrote:
Tim wrote:

Isn't it that weird group of people with masks who claim to control the internet? I just saw a vid a while back (not this one) saying they can easily decide what becomes popular. I honestly wouldn't know anyways.

Here's what I understand: I may have some details wrong.

People who post on 4chan without making a username get their posts labelled as coming from "Anonymous". I think they get a black silhouette as kind of a default avatar.

There was a case a couple of years ago where someone was getting harassed by people from 4chan, as 4channers are wont to do. They were being jerks and found this person's phone number and were making threatening prank calls and crap.

FOX News (I think) ran a news story on the harassment, and they attributed the harassment to "Anonymous," portraying it as some kind of malicious internet gang, when in reality it was just a bunch of 4channers who posted on 4chan without usernames (since they didn't want their actions to be traced).

The Internet knew that there was no such "gang" as Anonymous, and that it was just an epic case of traditional-media ignorance, and that became the fodder for a bunch of people to create YouTube videos, etc., where they silhouetted themselves, disguised their voices, and claimed to be from "Anonymous," as if it were an actual group. They thought they were being very funny (and tbh, it was kind of funny).

So now, unless something has happened since then that I don't know about, "Anonymous" is just where people claim to be from when they do stupid crap to people on the internet. It's more of a meme than an actual "hacker group" or anything.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Over-analytical Nerd

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 03 Mar 2009, 14:26

Tim wrote:
Tim wrote:

People who post on 4chan without making a username get their posts labelled as coming from "Anonymous". I think they get a black silhouette as kind of a default avatar.

There was a case a couple of years ago where someone was getting harassed by people from 4chan, as 4channers are wont to do. They were being jerks and found this person's phone number and were making threatening prank calls and crap.

FOX News (I think) ran a news story on the harassment, and they attributed the harassment to "Anonymous," portraying it as some kind of malicious internet gang, when in reality it was just a bunch of 4channers who posted on 4chan without usernames (since they didn't want their actions to be traced).

The Internet knew that there was no such "gang" as Anonymous, and that it was just an epic case of traditional-media ignorance, and that became the fodder for a bunch of people to create YouTube videos, etc., where they silhouetted themselves, disguised their voices, and claimed to be from "Anonymous," as if it were an actual group. They thought they were being very funny (and tbh, it was kind of funny).

So now, unless something has happened since then that I don't know about, "Anonymous" is just where people claim to be from when they do stupid crap to people on the internet. It's more of a meme than an actual "hacker group" or anything.

That makes...sense.

It seems I have been learned. That you for informing me of the ways of the internet.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Mar 2009, 14:26

Tim wrote:

Anonymous is a group to the same extent that people who use LRR are a group, or people who use twitter are a group. They aren't organized in any way, and the activities they partake in are ad-hoc arrangements between people brought together via a social network. they are no different than a local tweetup, or a group of LRR fans getting together to watch videos. They just happen to get together to wear masks and protest scientology.

There is no organizational structure, no heirarchy. They are only granted credibilty by news media reporting on some of the things these "anonymous people" do, and mistaking their anonymity for an organizational identity.

-m

I am not angry at you.
goat

Postby goat » 03 Mar 2009, 14:29

Tim wrote:So now, unless something has happened since then that I don't know about, "Anonymous" is just where people claim to be from when they do stupid crap to people on the internet. It's more of a meme than an actual "hacker group" or anything.

Umm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

I mean it's not really organized at all, but it exists in some sense of the word.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Mar 2009, 14:31

Tim wrote:
Tim wrote:

Tis account is roughly accurate, and the "anonymous as an organization" myth has continued in the popular media as a result of certain criminal activities and protests and what not that have been undertaken by 4channers under the mantle of 'anonymous'.

Also: 4chan doesn't use any avatars, the standard visual depiction of "anonymous" as a character or avatar is basically just a meme.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JJXB

Postby JJXB » 03 Mar 2009, 14:39

it's mostly /b/ that goes under the "anonymous" umbrella that does all the stupid shit. the other boards tend to despise /b/ though.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 03 Mar 2009, 14:40

Tim wrote:Here's what I understand: I may have some details wrong.

Internet hate machine.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 03 Mar 2009, 14:41

Hmmm. The 10th google result for the title of Graham's video is currently this very thread. I guess the google search algorithms aren't in on the plan.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 03 Mar 2009, 14:41

all normal people despise /b/! it's nerds and anonymity, two things never to be combined least we bring forward the impending memocolypse
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 03 Mar 2009, 15:12

Matt wrote:ebaum's? seriously?

Now *I*'m going to have to go take a shower.

-m

I'll join you.

What?
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
curbee

Postby curbee » 03 Mar 2009, 15:29

A funny thing I realized about 4chan's /b/ is that Anonymous is a real life stand alone complex. Everyone there, under the guise of Anonymous, copies a persona that not only does not exist and acts accordingly. There is no originator to the persona and no leader-figure to the entire group. Despite this, Anonymous is able to act as a coherent whole.
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 03 Mar 2009, 15:53

Darkobra wrote:
Matt wrote:ebaum's? seriously?

Now *I*'m going to have to go take a shower.

-m

I'll join you.

What?
I like where this is going.

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”