commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
StatMax

Best Episode Ever

Postby StatMax » 04 May 2009, 20:33

Had to join the forums just to say you guys have hit your stride with these long-form commodoreHUSTLE videos. The writing, the comic timing, it's all getting so crisp. So many things about the series work:

- The structure works. A bunch of great bits wrapped in a larger theme. Like Rapidfire but with a meta-story.
- It makes the most of the whole cast. Every one of you gets outstanding material: Graham (goofy wall-staring), Paul and Jer (hilarious Dragon's Lair bit), Bill and Morgan (great wordplay), Matt and James (killer delivery and fearless as always), Kathleen ("and good for you" = priceless). And you still have room for great drop-ins like Brad and Woody. The girls are becoming a force in the series too, which is fun to see.
- You've got great arcs going from episode to episode. The payoff on James ditching out on Starcraft 2 was great. We also get to enjoy little details that reward us for watching, like those unexplained bottles of yellowish water.
- You guys are having fun, and it shows.

Something about these videos, where you play larger-than-life versions of yourselves, is bringing out your best work. Keep it up.
James
LRR Crew

Re: commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Postby James » 04 May 2009, 20:57

Thanks StatMax, that means a lot.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 04 May 2009, 21:02

Well, it seems as though everything has been said that I could possibly comment on. Oxford gets to the posting party too late again, as usual.

Spot on acting, great camera work, script, flawless execution, and even special FX!

I was just blown away. Seeing stuff like this makes me even more pumped for film school next year.

You guys rock!
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 04 May 2009, 21:17

My initial reaction is to say that this is probably the greatest thing you guys have ever done. LOVE IT. Every time I thought it might be about to slow down, something awesome would pay off huge. I'd make a list like these other guys, but seriously, every moment was golden.

Everyone's already mentioned the Matt/James thing, so I will simply add this. I have never before heard the sound that came from my mouth when I saw it and I never expect to hear it again. From the moment you formed an 7/8ths hetero male comedy team, a gay sex joke has been waiting to be unleashed. A lesser troupe would have one every other week, but kudos to LRR for paying it off more spectacularly than I ever could have imagined.

My only note is that after James' resounding cry of StarCraft 2 regret, it's too bad that Paul didn't perk his ears and say, 'That is the sound of ultimate suffering.' Preferably with a follow-up reference, i.e., 'I know because that is the sound I made when my beard was shaved.'

In deference to Paul though, as a fellow beard-wearer I know that beard jokes get kind of old after awhile. Someone think of something better, I'm drawing a blank!

PS - StatMax, whence your avatar?? It stirs an intense, yet long-forgotten memory!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 04 May 2009, 21:28

Tim wrote:
cacho wrote:It takes balls to kiss a man . . .0_o ?

I was under the impression that most of the time a lack of testicles was preferred. I could be mistaken.

The chart is being made as we speak...
losc

Postby losc » 04 May 2009, 21:42

Was the kiss revenge for the ear frenching a few vids back?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 04 May 2009, 21:44

tak197 wrote:
Tim wrote:
cacho wrote:It takes balls to kiss a man . . .0_o ?

I was under the impression that most of the time a lack of testicles was preferred. I could be mistaken.

The chart is being made as we speak...

And it's done:
shadowkid

Postby shadowkid » 04 May 2009, 22:04

i did not believe in rule 34 until now
good job guys
what has just has been seen can never be unseen
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 04 May 2009, 22:22

Nice job on the editing Graham. The sound track lining up with shots worked real well. Also, I'm digging the over the shoulder shots, and the montage jump off the balcony turned out better than I'd even pictured.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 04 May 2009, 22:49

That was amazing. I'll have to watch it again a second time, and notarize everything I loved. Also, this video has been up for about 14 hours, and there isn't an avatar of Matt and James kissing yet? I'm disappointed.
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 04 May 2009, 23:12

There is Zivlok: GCninja has one.... :shock:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 23:48

Zivlok wrote:That was amazing. I'll have to watch it again a second time, and notarize everything I loved. Also, this video has been up for about 14 hours, and there isn't an avatar of Matt and James kissing yet? I'm disappointed.

if this happens, there will be a banning like no tomorrow.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 May 2009, 00:16

Matt wrote:
Zivlok wrote:That was amazing. I'll have to watch it again a second time, and notarize everything I loved. Also, this video has been up for about 14 hours, and there isn't an avatar of Matt and James kissing yet? I'm disappointed.
if this happens, there will be a banning like no tomorrow.
It already has. Hours ago.

You're not banning anyone for enjoying a good kiss.
Mr. Ambiguous
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Mr. Ambiguous » 05 May 2009, 00:53

This was straight up awesome. but why did Matt have to... you know... arrgh. im scarred for life now, as most other people in this thread have said.
Life: "If you think you understand it, they you know nothing about it."
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 05 May 2009, 01:12

Out of all the minority comedians to choose from you guys name Carlos Mencia? The guy who's constantly stealing jokes? The guy who can't make a joke unless it involves racial stereotypes? The guy who pretends to be Mexican while actually being from Honduras?

What about Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, Bobby Lee or any of the other countless minority comedians? Any single one of them is certainly more credible than this hack.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 05 May 2009, 01:35

arch4non wrote:Out of all the minority comedians to choose from you guys name Carlos Mencia? The guy who's constantly stealing jokes? The guy who can't make a joke unless it involves racial stereotypes? The guy who pretends to be Mexican while actually being from Honduras?

What about Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, Bobby Lee or any of the other countless minority comedians? Any single one of them is certainly more credible than this hack.

Dude, that was the point. The line was: "Name a single minority comedian that isn't hilarious!"
"Carlos Mencia."
"Oh... Name two."
"I got nothing."

I mean, this isn't verbatim, but the whole point was that they were making fun of George Lopez.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 05 May 2009, 03:06

Wow, the funniest cH in quite some time.
And an overall hilarious video, great work!
(And not larious at all!)
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Daco
First Video: can't remember

Postby Daco » 05 May 2009, 03:17

shadowkid wrote:i did not believe in rule 34 until now
good job guys
what has just has been seen can never be unseen

about that...
there was a "rule 34" waaay before this episode
the episode reminded me tho

i can't show the image now as its on an other hard drive that isn't in this pc D:

it did involve matt & james, lucky?

EDIT: btw guys

best
video
ever
(imo)
DOOR STUCK DOOR IS STUCK
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 05 May 2009, 04:28

I also thought that Morgan said he pooped a cube, which was funny in itself. Then when he said, "right there in the sink," I lost it.

I also liked his delivery of, "Sure, [write me out] the same way you did it last time". Just looked very genuine. And the fact that the crew shot a "sub-video" to write Morgan out kinda implies that the fourth wall is still in place.

It also gives important information about LRR continuity, as we see that even non-cH videos where the crew play themselves can be/are fictional.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 05 May 2009, 04:49

Wow..

That was so hilarious, I shat bricks. Oddly, they were shaped like letters.

Top notch all-round. Kickass, guys (and gals)
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 05 May 2009, 06:35

Brad wrote:Nice job on the editing Graham. The sound track lining up with shots worked real well. Also, I'm digging the over the shoulder shots, and the montage jump off the balcony turned out better than I'd even pictured.

I want to second that. It was more smooth than last CH, and the over-the-shoulder shots definitely looked more natural. I loved the balcony jump, I watched that section a few times to see how it was done, and it didn't look like you were trying to avoid having Brad climb; it actually looked like you were just trying to cut out the middle boring part by cutting right to him getting off. Nicely done.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 05 May 2009, 06:45

With Brad, were you trying to go with a Rorschach type character or was he supposed to be a bit more like Officer Hartigan or Marv from Sin city?
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 05 May 2009, 06:50

I was hoping there'd be a hidden anagram in Morgan's list, but apparently not so. At least I don't think so. It had the right spread of consonants and vowels, but obviously with a Q and a V it was going to be difficult.

Surprisingly, J wasn't on the list.

If anyone can do Y I'd be impressed, and probably quite disturbed.
Tanais

Postby Tanais » 05 May 2009, 07:59

Matt wrote:
Patriot wrote:That opening is win.

James deserves an A+ for commitment.

JAMES does? what about ME!? I was the one that had to act super-gay! And I was way less of a pussy about it off-camera.

>.<

-m

You get an A++ in my book, Matt. Very convincing :)
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 05 May 2009, 08:00

Lawman wrote:I was hoping there'd be a hidden anagram in Morgan's list, but apparently not so. At least I don't think so. It had the right spread of consonants and vowels, but obviously with a Q and a V it was going to be difficult.

Surprisingly, J wasn't on the list.

If anyone can do Y I'd be impressed, and probably quite disturbed.

Capital E seems the most challenging.
I am going to go watch a Image

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”