commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Re: commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 05 May 2009, 18:19

I guess I'm the only straight guy that thought those scenes were cute and silly.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 May 2009, 18:52

Yeah, can we just move on from that joke and talk about the rest of the video?

It's hilarious and all, and it's great that you all think so, but there's a lot of other great stuff in this episode, and focusing on that one gag to the point that we might as well have called the episode "Man Kiss" is really kind of a disservice to all the work everyone put into the rest of the video.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 05 May 2009, 19:10

Dave-O_Boy wrote:I guess I'm the only straight guy that thought those scenes were cute and silly.

I didn't mind. Hence why my only comment thus far has been just to say the whole video was awesome.

It really may be the best cHustle yet, and I'm not just saying that. I really think this may be the video that made me laugh the most, and I was supremely entertained. Great job, guys.

I'm too happy with it to really do a breakdown or critique or anything. That is a rare thing for me.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 05 May 2009, 19:12

Please don't think I had a problem with it! I thought it was a highlight. Yet, it didn't at all overshadow the rest of the video, and that is definitely saying something. For actual video reactions please revisit my previous post on the seventh page.

I was just responding to the previous rant, which I quoted briefly. In hindsight I can see how you'd think otherwise if you didn't notice the quotation. I guess I shoulda made it a PM. Apologies.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 05 May 2009, 19:41

I just realized something... 37!..

Kevin Smith was right.. its everywhere.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 May 2009, 19:48

Dave-O_Boy wrote:I just realized something... 37!..

Kevin Smith was right.. its everywhere.
Intentional!
It was originally 6 when Tally wrote, and every time I went over the scene I would increase the time until it got to 36.
Then James said, why not 37 if we're that close?
Dominic Appleguard

Re: Best Episode Ever

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 05 May 2009, 20:18

StatMax wrote:- It makes the most of the whole cast. Every one of you gets outstanding material: Bill and Morgan (great wordplay)
That certainly does seem to be the pattern in their scenes. I'm pleasantly surprised that they're not so typecast that it has to be about DotA or prank wars all the time.

It's all very "Rosenctrantz and Guildenstern are AFK"
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 05 May 2009, 20:50

They weren't wearing pants.

Very method.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Re: Best Episode Ever

Postby Trisha Lynn » 05 May 2009, 21:43

Dominic Appleguard wrote:That certainly does seem to be the pattern in their scenes. I'm pleasantly surprised that they're not so typecast that it has to be about DotA or prank wars all the time.

It's all very "Rosenctrantz and Guildenstern are AFK"

I think that's my most favorite part about the new Bill and Morgan. One minute poop jokes, the next wordplay.

As for the rest of the video, it was kinda hit and miss for me. I actually don't like thinking about bowel movements too much, so that bit was overkill to me and the girls' conversations dragged on a bit too long because of how badly it failed the Bechdel test... but then again what can you expect when there's only one female in the main title sequence?

I like how the characters are all developing, and even if I didn't get any of the callbacks and references, the jokes worked enough on the first level that I thought it was funny. Outstanding bits include the wordplay, Brad's overwrought monologues (and the cleft in his chin), the dream bit (maybe because it was similar to the dream bit that Jon Stewart did with Halle Berry and George Clooney for the Oscars a few years ago) and Paul's gadgets.

Also, if Raymond is the guy in the video store, he's getting better at scheming. Scheme, Raymond, scheme!

Trisha Lynn
...gonna re-watch tomorrow...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 05 May 2009, 22:09

Nopers, that's Geoff.
If you get confused in the future, there's always the credits below the video. Though, admittedly, these credits were really busy...lots of people on camera this week.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 06 May 2009, 06:59

See this is why I've avoided forums thus far. I have to fight the intense urge to over analyze and argue when people say things that I take issue with on a psychological, sociological, and feminist level.

But, anywho, I thought the WHOLE video was great and especially:
1) The Gritty Metaphores
2) The Hardy Boys book
3) Morgan's butchering of language
4) Smelly Kitchen Joke
5) Minorities who aren't funny
6) The Poop jokes (cause poop jokes are funny. They're neutral - Everybody poops) - and Poop in the sink not even discussed
7) Killing puppies
8) Bejeweled - "And good for you"
9) "What do you mean I'm a douche?"
10) Where Graham goes to think
11) The spoken Duh Duh Duh
12) Red Fedora
13) Even though I'm a feminist - Does Graham beat you? & Looks like you walked into a door.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 May 2009, 07:17

By the end of the video, I had actually completely forgotten about Matt and James's bit. There's just so much going on, and the video's so long, that if you don't fixate on it too much, it doesn't stick out after it's gone. At least for me anyway. So much great stuff.

Also, "Duh Duh Duh". Brad's delivery and the way his face just....expanded...killed me. Red fedora I half-saw coming, but was still great.

I don't know how you'll top this one, but I expect you will. Somehow.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 06 May 2009, 07:42

Yeah, the man-luvin'-dream was hilarious, but not the highlight of the episode. I'm kind of surpised there's such a big deal between that and the poo jokes. I mean, sure, the poo-jokes are repeated throughout, but I thought of it more as an underscore to some great gags brought forth through writing and acting.

Honestly, this one hefts itself up next to Viral as far as best LRR material so far. Believe, me, it's a close race for "favorites", but something about Viral and Investigation shine over the rest. Jam packed with line after line of delicious dialogue, great humor, gags and shots. There's just so much in this episode, that I think it's easy to miss the brilliant subtlety. I honestly don't think I stopped laughing the first run through, and subsequent views still have me chuckling - even giggling! I eagerly await the moment then LRR best themselves after this one.
=Burger, Fries, Chocolate Shake; Some one's mind I is about to take!=
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 06 May 2009, 09:49

Something that I noticed:

Whenever Geoff was scheming and such, with the looks and such, the main thought is "d'AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW. Look he's scheming. Ooh I'm so worried about what he'll do to me. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW." I think it's the hair.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 06 May 2009, 10:35

So is this whole Morgan traveling thing just your way of not having to pay him more after the next season's contract negotiations despite it being completely out of character?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 May 2009, 10:55

Laurnil wrote:See this is why I've avoided forums thus far.
I'm sorry about that, but I assure you that overall we're pretty cool folks.
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 06 May 2009, 12:45

How old are you people? :P Seriously, stop fixating, it's not that exciting.

This certainly tops the list of one of your best video's so far.
Things I loved:
-The whole stylistic aspect of Brad's sections. Also, if that is a real book, where can I buy it?

-The shocked reaction of Graham + crew to the rumors. Excellent acting all around.

-The double dream sequence. It's a little cliche, but I always kind of a appreciate it when someone wakes up from dream, but they are still dreaming! Meta dreaming!

-The end consequences of James being 'a leaver'/general revisiting of previous episodes + vids

-The editing was brilliant, some of your best work yet Graham!

Things I loved less:

-Poop jokes. I don't know...I thought there were too many and it stopped being funny after a while. It's just a taste thing I suppose. That being said, the poop in the sink line, and the lack of reaction is brilliant. I feel there was just too much.

All together a fabulous video. You're all very talented people *is jealous*
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 06 May 2009, 14:08

having watched it a couple of times now i have to note that Adam is really tall! he doesn't look it because he's fairly broad as well (not fat, note)but he towers well over Graham and James
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 06 May 2009, 14:11

Master Gunner wrote:
Also, "Duh Duh Duh". Brad's delivery and the way his face just....expanded...killed me. Red fedora I half-saw coming, but was still great.

Is the duh-duh-duh bit intended as a reference to the most recent Phailhaus?
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 06 May 2009, 14:23

I believe Adam to be 6'7" to Bill's 6'10". There were probably too many poop jokes, but they were worth it for the "n" bit with James and Ashley. Also, I'd have thought from a feminist perspective Kathleen probably comes off as a strong character, but hey, its only comedy.
[for the record I'm not making my 1000th post till I can buy some LRRcendice]
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 May 2009, 14:33

whyarecarrots wrote:Is the duh-duh-duh bit intended as a reference to the most recent Phailhaus?

I think it's just a general pop culture joke, used for seeming comedically dramatic.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 06 May 2009, 15:31

I thought the whole point of forums is to discuss stuff publicly? I don't mean that rhetorically. I apologize a second time for being uncool, if that's what everyone thinks.

I think the poop jokes stand out for many people because at first, they seem a hair on the easy/cheap side - so we are extra delighted to find later that they are fleshed out brilliantly. Like a comedy feint. So the jokes themselves, already funny, are supplemented by surprise funny as they go. Like a comedy pincer attack.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 May 2009, 15:38

notomtolose wrote:I thought the whole point of forums is to discuss stuff publicly? I don't mean that rhetorically. I apologize a second time for being uncool, if that's what everyone thinks.
That's true, but the thread for discussing a given video isn't the place to go into a huge post debating women kissing.

That's my only issue.
Over-analytical Nerd
First Video: Somebody Has to Change

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 06 May 2009, 15:45

Back to the video, I would have to disagree with Master Gunner's second point and say I didn't like the dun-dun-dun moment so much. It might be the fact that the camera was moved momentarily, removing the cinematic feel, but it just didn't seem as "polished" and somewhat out of character (even for not gritty Brad) compared to most of the other scenes. The other minor gripe I had was James' giggling at the end of the bed scene, but that was perfectly excusable.

PS: I just noticed, by pure coincidence, I wore the same clothing scheme as Paul in the last scene on Tuesday. It seems your subliminal messaging is more powerful than I thought!

On a semi-related to clothes side note: Happy belated Cinco de Mayo! I celebrated by wearing a sombrero for all of that day (which confused and bewildered many).
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 06 May 2009, 16:10

The home-made neuralyzer made me chuckle... What was I talking about? >_>
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”