commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Re: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Lacerta » 03 Aug 2009, 19:01

So why only 11 episodes? Did you miss a month somewhere, or just decide you needed a month off between 'seasons'?
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Gray24
First Video: Whichever was the first video...

Postby Gray24 » 03 Aug 2009, 19:02

Indeed, sir!
David E Gray

micahman212

Postby micahman212 » 03 Aug 2009, 19:02

loved the Princess bride refernce. A great piece of comedy for generations of LRR fans to come and comedy fans around the internet i LMAOed I LOLed i ROFLed I LOLOMGWTGDAIRYQUEENed!

a great end to the season guys can't wait till number 2.
baggins_of_41

Postby baggins_of_41 » 03 Aug 2009, 19:03

All through the early episodes there were times when the pacing seemed off or some of the shots seemed a little hokey but the writing was always strong.

With the final episode, you pulled it all together, pacing/fiming/writing/plot resolution. I laughed frequently during past episodes. This episode, I started at the beginning and didn't stop laughing till 16:59.

Well done, bravo and encore!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Aug 2009, 19:13

Lacerta wrote:So why only 11 episodes? Did you miss a month somewhere, or just decide you needed a month off between 'seasons'?

As they've said before, they're going to be taking September and October off as their season break (since cH videos are a lot more intensive than regular ones), so the next one will go up in November. The next season will be 10 episodes long, and this one was only 11 because the Series Premiere of cH coincided with the Season 6 Premiere, which was in the middle of October. So with the extra episode before the regular cH schedule started, we ended up with an extra episode.

Graham remarked in the live stream that 11 episodes is odd too.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 03 Aug 2009, 19:24

Master Gunner wrote:Graham remarked in the live stream that 11 episodes is odd too.

Graham obviously fears prime numbers.
reptile

Postby reptile » 03 Aug 2009, 19:27

Registered to post that I agree this episode was well-done and tied the series up in a hilarious manner. I like that you interacted with a lot of the people with small roles earlier in cH. My favorite moment was probably the Ride of the Valkyries.

Question: What was the third logo on the flier the police gave Jer?

Also,
DvelopmentalInsanity wrote:Wonder what was on Morgan's website. I'm guessing he's finally pooped "LRR".

GreigKM wrote:That was EPIC! And the Morgan thing was fantastic! What could be on his website?

Given the crew's reaction, I think it's more likely to be a dick disaster.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 03 Aug 2009, 20:22

Now that the first season has finished I felt it time to voice my full opinion of CH. And I gotta say, don't love it. Looking at it from the point of if this were a pilot for a tv show, I was a producer, and I knew nothing of your work besides this, it would be a definite no. Reasons:

1. Quality of technology: The sound is good. I won't fault you for that. The voicework is good and the music and what not is great. However the camerawork needs a lot of work. Some of the transitions just didn't really do it for me. The lighting could have been a little better at points. It definitely seems like some of the shooting could have been a lot of better. Looking at GTA IV trailer, its doesn'tlook like you were trying your hardest.

2. The jokes: Recently my brother started watching LRR. And when a CH comes along I find him laughing at a lot less stuff than I do. Its not because they aren't funny, its because there is a lot of "fanservice" so to speak. If he weren't a nerd like me, he wouldn't get a lot of the references either. What I'm trying to say, is a lot of the writing requires knowledge of other things to be funny. It isn't funny on its own merit. I'm not saying in-jokes are bad, or the writing is bad. Lets compare it to the funniest show ever made. Arrested Development had a lot of running gags. All of these jokes were dependent of the show. There weren't a lot of jokes that required outside info, or watching anything outside of Arrested Development. There was the occasional outside gag, such as Barry hopping over the shark, but even with those taken out, there is more than enough to make the casual watcher laugh and want to continue watching.

3. My major concern: The acting. A lot of it comes from the amateurs,granted, but still. I was let down by you guys a lot of the time. I have seen a heckuva lot better from all of you. And I think I know the problem. You are playing yourselves. Therefore you kind of just do things normal. You exaggerate a little, but thats it. You kind of Ad-lib and just go with it. While that might be good for regular videos, it just doesn't hold up for 18 minutes. Many times I will catch the odd crew member smiling or doing something else that wouldn't be considered proper in legitimate theatre. You've tried to make yourself a character, which I agree with, but don't play them as yourself with quirks. Play them as a guy with the same name, face, similiar characteristics, and quirks. Make the entirety of you the character, not just the added stuff. Took a long time to get that point, but do you know what I mean?

So yeah, those are my thoughts. I'm not boycotting LRR, I won't stop watching the CH. I just wanted my voice to be heard. Just trying to help you guys out. I want you to grow and become something big and not just keep on doing what you're doing because you think it is good enough. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

So yeah, begin the public flogging I guess. It'll probably be best if you start by critiquing any small grammar mistakes before telling me I am completely wrong.
Image Image Image
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Aug 2009, 20:34

Don't worry Sieg, I won't let them flog you too hard. We like constructive feedback.

I grant you that lighting is our biggest enemy, but overall, I'm very proud with a lot of the camera-work in this series. We experimented with some new stuff, and I think getting a more rigid shooting style for Season 2 will only make it better, but I disagree with you on that, sorry.

Granted, we are trying to bring in new people, but even we know that cH is a little too dependent on prior LRR knowledge to really do that. However, we're not expecting it to get picked up by a TV network, so in that regard, I don't think we've failed at all.

We ARE planning on working on that for Season 2 though. Which isn't to say there won't be in-jokes, just that we hope to make the series more accessible.

Acting is acting, and we're not all actors. Still that isn't an excuse, so we get around that by having everyone play to their strengths. That'll be something else we refine for Season 2, but, again, I disagree that it was as bad as you say.

Regardless, don't think I'm ignoring you. Your voice is being heard, and I intend to listen to what you're saying. And, thanks!
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 03 Aug 2009, 21:10

I was seriously thinking that when geoff was about to push the button the gang would have just bumrushed him anyways.

Though Paul's ballkicker... Truly a wonderful end. XD

Poor Matt.

Morgan's website: TesticularDestruction.com.

XD
Last edited by Mercenary on 04 Aug 2009, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cowbane

Postby Cowbane » 03 Aug 2009, 21:21

Amazing season, can't wait for the next one. Really awesome! Everything came together pretty nicely.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 Aug 2009, 21:21

I don't really think cHustle could survive as a full on TV series. It really works best for webisodes.

As for Season 2, I'd agree with Sieg in that it does have a lot of fanservice in-jokes, which is something that could be worked on. However, maybe it would be possible to write multiple story arcs that extend through the season with the main one running episode 1-10, and the smaller ones being 3 episodes combined. You all did this well, but now you need to make it a bit bigger. That way, it doesn't feel so much like "in-jokes" as it would be "plot progression".

Also, how would cH handle an actual "A Very Special Episode", as opposed to a sidebar gag?
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 03 Aug 2009, 22:21

I agree with about the in-jokes. It should be assumed that people watching cH have never seen anything LRR related outside of CommodoreHustle. The best way to deal with in-jokes is to make them funny on their own. While I think you guys did generally pull this off, there are more than a few times that you didn't. Now this being the first time that LRR every attempted a longer running continual series, I'd say that you guys did a good job of keeping things mostly self contained and perhaps interesting enough that if I had first watched cH I would most likely end up watching the backlog of LRR videos as well. Still I could see how it could turn away any new comers that may not be familiar the site.
Having some type of introductory sequence at the start of the next season might be a good idea. Even if it one of those "Talking to a stranger to explain the general idea" things. if that makes any sense.
Regardless. I enjoyed the series greatly.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Aug 2009, 22:35

In general, let's please keep this thread not about what we should change for Season 2, and focus on what Season 1 was about.
We'll take care of Season 2, believe me we've thought about.

Thanks!
g-money

Postby g-money » 03 Aug 2009, 22:41

Dave-O_Boy wrote:It should be assumed that people watching cH have never seen anything LRR related outside of CommodoreHustle.

Disagree! Actually I believe the opposite is true. cH is like a big in-joke by, for, and about the LRR crüe. Actors playing themselves is a big clue. The series being entirely self-referential, including plot, jokes, locations, props (including the martyred saviour) and characters didn't give that away?

If anything is "wrong" with cH, it's that many of its dramatic moments lack the sense of realism that really enable the audience's emotive reactions. Humor excepted, of course.

Finally, the Princess Bride callout is, I think, the funniest moment in the entire series. I had to pause the video until I could stop laughing and begin listening again! FTW!
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 03 Aug 2009, 22:53

A+ guys. Loved it. Had a great time at the Midwestern LRR Fan Club viewing. Just got home. Going to sleep now.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Aug 2009, 23:03

g-money wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:It should be assumed that people watching cH have never seen anything LRR related outside of CommodoreHustle.

Disagree! Actually I believe the opposite is true. cH is like a big in-joke by, for, and about the LRR crüe. Actors playing themselves is a big clue. The series being entirely self-referential, including plot, jokes, locations, props (including the martyred saviour) and characters didn't give that away?

If anything is "wrong" with cH, it's that many of its dramatic moments lack the sense of realism that really enable the audience's emotive reactions. Humor excepted, of course.

Finally, the Princess Bride callout is, I think, the funniest moment in the entire series. I had to pause the video until I could stop laughing and begin listening again! FTW!

while I too enjoy the in-jokes and self-referential humor we do in hustle, as a webTV series, it's fundamentally crippling to make it so inaccessible to outside viewers.

That's not to say I think it was bad, or wrong, or a mistake, or anything like that, but it was an experiment, and I think we've learned a lot. we're taking a couple months off to plan and take what we've learned to make something even better next season.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Aug 2009, 23:07

What did I just say?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Aug 2009, 23:10

I'll be good. Please don't whip me again.

-m

I am not angry at you.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 04 Aug 2009, 00:15

Bad Matt!

It's bitter sweet. It's months till more CH hits us in the face (or balls?) even if the season ended in most mind-blowingly awesomly all-coming-together way.

Testicular scholars approve highly of Dale's monologue, fyi.
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Kzap

Postby Kzap » 04 Aug 2009, 00:42

Amazing ending (is a little short for me) I can't wait for season 2 and I'm sure it'll be amazing!
Why didn't I see Mr Balls-matron coming, that is the perfect ending.
All in all well done for an amazing season, I hope for many more.
Linux enthusiast, film director, avid Twitterer and full time geek.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 04 Aug 2009, 00:57

Epic Finale!

Also Horray for princess bride reference.
co9ol

Postby co9ol » 04 Aug 2009, 03:11

fantastic! amazing! fantastical! might I also add how awesome all the shark vs bear refferences are.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 04 Aug 2009, 04:48

Graham wrote:What did I just say?

Don't worry Graham. Your (the crew's) brand of comedy and writing as a whole is so great, that whatever in-joke is mentioned in each episode are still funny enough for me to know right off the bat; despite having watched a small portion of the older videos. That, and I can just as easily look up whatever video is mentioned in cH (or the LRRcast) from the site ;)

All-in-all, you guys did a great job with this season, which is something I can rarely say about most things nowadays.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Maeglin
First Video: Celestial Sea Episode 1

Postby Maeglin » 04 Aug 2009, 07:55

Haha! That was a great conclusion. Loved the Princess Bride reference.

I loved the return of the ball-kicking machine and then Geoff with the ice on his crotch. Ouch...

The conclusion really just included pretty much everything that has been a running gag in the series and had them play a role. It was awesome. Keep up the good work, LRR. ;)
Pants are optional.

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”