Time & Eternity, Part 1

Discussion of LRR's weekly mockery of video game cutscenes.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Time & Eternity, Part 1

Postby Kathleen » 11 Nov 2013, 10:44

Aren't weddings such magical affairs?
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Re: Time & Eternity, Part 1

Postby Asthanius » 11 Nov 2013, 11:03

That was...that was something else. It feels like an animation studio's first attempt at making an anime, but the studio got acquired partway through by a game company and were told to make it into a game that was even more anime. And then it got an English fandub.
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 11 Nov 2013, 11:05

This has got to be one of my favorite Unskippables to date! This game is just mind-numbingly bad, so some really fantastic fodder for G+P. All the jokes were solid, with some really naughty ones thrown in for good measure. I almost did a spit take from the period joke (and I am slightly ashamed I found it so funny). Anyways, great job, excited for part two!

On a side note, is the 'tearing' that is so indicative for VHS fast forwarding going to stay as a shorthand in this kind of media? What I mean is, are people just going to accept that that effect is related to fast forwarding after nobody (or at least the youths) remembers VHS tapes anymore?
If I'm not making any sense, an easier example that I've always liked is the phrase "hang up the phone", wherein these days nobody actually hangs a phone on it's hook, and it's just become part of the vernacular. Similar phenomena happening here? Crazed ramblings? Bit of both? You decide.
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 11 Nov 2013, 11:13

SomeCallMeTim wrote:If I'm not making any sense, an easier example that I've always liked is the phrase "hang up the phone", wherein these days nobody actually hangs a phone on it's hook, and it's just become part of the vernacular. Similar phenomena happening here? Crazed ramblings? Bit of both? You decide.

Try saying instead "I'm going to now terminate this telephonic communication via digital input" and see how many people begin thinking you're actually a robot!

I think that it's here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future. It's great shorthand for fastforwarding and just jumping frames doesn't have quite the same impact.

I've almost never played any of the games that are Unskipped, but this one looks even more awful than normal. Although most of the anime games just look completely unplayable from my perspective.

Hilarious video though!
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 11 Nov 2013, 11:21

I suppose another part of it is that hanging up a phone on a hook was a definitive motion to end the call that was unrelated to anything else you could do with the phone, while pushing a button is something you do on a phone all the time. So you can't say "I'm gonna push the end button now, see ya later". Just lacks that certain...oh how should I put this...ring to it. Plus hanging up the phone has the perfect ka-chunk noise that just resonates through history.
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Lumar
First Video: The Arrogent Worms video for Canada Day

Postby Lumar » 11 Nov 2013, 11:36

SomeCallMeTim wrote: Just lacks that certain...oh how should I put this...ring to it.

That was so bad, that was an intentional pun, as a person who makes bad jokes I can see them from a mile away.

Now I have to say thank you to G+P for the fast forward. I think 5 min of a conversation "quest" would drive everyone mad. Also I would like to know what you mean when you say the next part is animated, are they going to be moving (well more then they are but less then that one girl's legs) or do you mean that something besides random talking is going to happen?
I may not be funny or witty, but that does not make me less strange.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 11 Nov 2013, 12:03

That has to be some of the most distracting animation I've every seen in an anime
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Nov 2013, 12:28

I feel like I'm seein something historical here. I don't think I've seen you guys fast-forward or skim over a video. "Unskimmable", hehe.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 11 Nov 2013, 13:35

Holy crap. This was AMAZING. I was losing it in public. Best episode in awhile, I think.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 11 Nov 2013, 14:02

And now, gameplay?

Of course not!
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 11 Nov 2013, 15:06

I had the same discussion, Tim. There's a lot of stuff like that. How many kids only know the record scratch sound as the sound of someone making a faux pas in a movie? Or don't know why the phone icon on their smartphone looks like some kind of boat? Or what the square thing is when they click "save"?

Back on topic, this was one of the best Unskippables I've seen.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 11 Nov 2013, 17:29

SomeCallMeTim wrote:On a side note, is the 'tearing' that is so indicative for VHS fast forwarding going to stay as a shorthand in this kind of media? What I mean is, are people just going to accept that that effect is related to fast forwarding after nobody (or at least the youths) remembers VHS tapes anymore?

My favorite instance of this that you see all the time in scifi games, TV and movies is static and snow when a DIGITAL video transmission is breaking up. In actual fact, of course, it would be like a skype call and just freeze for a few secords or be like a youtube video and just show a spinner with "buffering..." I also like how most future TVs and monitors have really obvious scanlines for some reason. That is a problem we have solved NOW!
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 12 Nov 2013, 12:44

I believe the series is called UNskippable... I believe we as viewers are owed that time you skipped :P

Also why is it the unskippable videos of JRPGS always make me want to play them?
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Nov 2013, 13:56

We didn't skip it… just moved through it more quickly :D
UnspokenKibbles
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby UnspokenKibbles » 12 Nov 2013, 14:11

Well done, guys. You continue to find ever more verbose JRPGs. Soon you will hit critical mass, and then...
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 12 Nov 2013, 14:50

Graham wrote:We didn't skip it… just moved through it more quickly :D

True, you did do commentary while moving through what had to be the dullest scene ever.

:lol:
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 13 Nov 2013, 03:54

Welp that got me some funny looks at work when I burst out laughing, also what dragon Paul?
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 13 Nov 2013, 13:57

Paul wrote:My favorite instance of this that you see all the time in scifi games, TV and movies is static and snow when a DIGITAL video transmission is breaking up. In actual fact, of course, it would be like a skype call and just freeze for a few secords or be like a youtube video and just show a spinner with "buffering..." I also like how most future TVs and monitors have really obvious scanlines for some reason. That is a problem we have solved NOW!

People in the future seem to put up with really horrible video quality always.
'But it's a hologram!' Holograms will not be adopted if they look like a 10th gen dub of ass and butt.

I think it would be a really neat detail that no one would ever notice to come up with some weird artifacting that future video formats produce. What kind of imperfections are generated in an image composed of icosahedral voxels transmitted using quantum entangled particles?
CanvasWolfDoll
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: my map says 'tuesday'... this might be a calender...

Postby CanvasWolfDoll » 14 Nov 2013, 00:52

i actually surprised they didn't make any jokes about that 'silly events happening' music. it was pretty ridiculous.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 14 Nov 2013, 11:58

Because of this Unskippable, I now own this game. I do not own a PS3. I think there might be something wrong with me.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
perdidoparker
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby perdidoparker » 14 Nov 2013, 12:06

Lurkon wrote:Because of this Unskippable, I now own this game. I do not own a PS3. I think there might be something wrong with me.

I encouraged and contributed to this purchase. IT MUST BE PLAYED!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “Unskippable”