Unskippable: Now Playing on The Escapist

Discussion of LRR's weekly mockery of video game cutscenes.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 07 Jan 2009, 22:14

Wow. I loved it, thanks Graham and Paul, you guys really do have a talent for knowing when to say things and what to say.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 08 Jan 2009, 06:35

Evil Jim wrote:some other, third, non-human narrator, to really capture the essence of MSC3000.
Either Gibb or Rosco P Jangles IV.
This sig is haiku
There's no reason why it is
Other than it's cool.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 08 Jan 2009, 07:39

Thank you guys, I really wanted to play Eternal Sonata because it looked pretty, but watching that long-ass intro made me change my mind :3

Also, the video was hilarious XD
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 08 Jan 2009, 11:33

Cross-posted!

I really and truly couldn’t have asked for something better. I think I was the only person who voted LRR3K back in that poll of what kind of videos we want to see more of. Riff’d game cutscenes? Pure genius! I kind of miss the silhouettes, but I guess that would get in the way of the subtitles. Also, very cool that you guys are on The Escapist. Paul’s Valium line totally made me lose it, as well as “hmm… short game”.

Related: if you get a chance to watch any of Rifftax Shorts, I highly recommend Drugs Are Like That, One Got Fat, and Buying Food.
None-hit wonder.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Jan 2009, 15:01

wilson_x1999 wrote:Thank you guys, I really wanted to play Eternal Sonata because it looked pretty, but watching that long-ass intro made me change my mind :3

It's not just the intro.
The game is very pretty, and the battle system is a lot of fun, but the story just plods along at the speed of tired molasses.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Jan 2009, 15:19

Graham wrote:It's not just the intro.
The game is very pretty, and the battle system is a lot of fun, but the story just plods along at the speed of tired molasses.
You're kidding, right?

The story moves slower than arthritic continental drift
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Jan 2009, 15:28

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Graham wrote:It's not just the intro.
You're kidding, right?

The story moves slower than arthritic continental drift

Slower than a redneck reading War and Peace?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jan 2009, 15:55

tak197 wrote:Slower than a redneck reading War and Peace?

While I believe an "Oh, snap" is entirely called for, Damn you for bringing that book up. It took me an entire year to work my way through it. I can't even remember how it started anymore!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 08 Jan 2009, 15:56

Master Gunner wrote:
tak197 wrote:Slower than a redneck reading War and Peace?

While I believe an "Oh, snap" is entirely called for, Damn you for bringing that book up. It took me an entire year to work my way through it. I can't even remember how it started anymore!

With the best and worst of times? No, wait...
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jan 2009, 16:00

Actually I think it was some sort of "party". I've read 1000+ page books before without too much trouble, but the 1500 pages of War and Peace are just so dense. It's like fighting your way upward through molasses on a couch-potato diet.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 08 Jan 2009, 16:36

I agree with people that cutscene was so poor, that it outweighed the funny. Having said that, there were some good (GP) lines: the double "aw" made me chortle. I haven't seen MSCTwhatever, but the impression I get of what Unskippable is suspose to be as if Graham and Paul were sitting down to play Eternal Sonata and making fun of the cutscenes they couldn't skip (something me and my brother do). I humbly suggest a little interaction/banter between the two of you. Here follows a brief rant on how bad that cutscene was for me [hidden] [sorta].

The point of naration is to establish facts/backstory, without bias. This one did neither. The whole point was that this village looks pretty - that's what your whole fucking art/design/animation department is for. Cut the narration bit out, hire someone with skill to write the dialogue well and succiently, get a voice actor for the little girl with a modicum of talent, and that isn't a horrible start to a video game. Gum out.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 08 Jan 2009, 17:17

I'm very much looking forward to more of these, but good lord was that cut scene practically painful to watch. Love the concept though.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Jan 2009, 18:19

Mom: explains that the amount of water being the most important part of making waves

Expected response...

Paul: See! Size DOES matter!

although the comment about personal lubrication was well received.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 08 Jan 2009, 21:09

Speaking as both a medical doctor and attorney, this series promises to be solid gold.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Jan 2009, 21:11

The Hitman wrote:Speaking as both a medical doctor and attorney, this series promises to be solid gold.

I'm very pleased to be endorsed by such a respected member of the legal/medical community.
ptitqui

OMG

Postby ptitqui » 08 Jan 2009, 22:38

So I was watching the latest zero punctuation video, and little clips of this video were at the end of his video. And I was like "Wait...is that paul?" And my boyfriend was like "It really sounds like paul" And I was like " No...it's totally Paul...And Graham! Holy Crap!"

So much awesomeness...it's almost too much. This is totally LRR3K again...but gamier. :D
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 08 Jan 2009, 22:57

So there is more than one Unskippable!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ost-Planet

Also hilarious.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 08 Jan 2009, 23:02

SilentBobCDN wrote:So there is more than one Unskippable!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ost-Planet

Also hilarious.

Yes, that was their entry in the contest. Technically it should be considered "Episode 00" or a pilot episode, although it is part of the series.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Radical Ans

Postby Radical Ans » 09 Jan 2009, 04:22

Is there an iPhone opitimised version of the escapist? The site is blocked at work and everything but the flash player works on my phone.
YojimboJango

Holy Crap

Postby YojimboJango » 09 Jan 2009, 06:16

It's weird to see you guys branching out like this. I actually found Unskippable on my own and my first thought was, "This is funny, but these guys are trying way to hard to be Graham and Paul."

Then I saw the credits.

So are you guys going to be moving through a whole game, or skipping around from game to game with your episodes? I can see the value of skipping around to keep things fresh, versus sticking with one and developing the personalities like you did with endless ocean.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 09 Jan 2009, 07:06

Damnit " and now ladies and gentlemen, grammy award winning artist: Slayer" made me shoot my drink through my nose. ow :(

Awesomeness!
DicyDax

Postby DicyDax » 09 Jan 2009, 11:45

CLEVELAND!
HURR DURR!
Master Gunner

Re: Holy Crap

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Jan 2009, 13:34

YojimboJango wrote:It's weird to see you guys branching out like this. I actually found Unskippable on my own and my first thought was, "This is funny, but these guys are trying way to hard to be Graham and Paul."

Then I saw the credits.

So are you guys going to be moving through a whole game, or skipping around from game to game with your episodes? I can see the value of skipping around to keep things fresh, versus sticking with one and developing the personalities like you did with endless ocean.

They'll be doing a new cutscene every Monday.
Blog post: http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/2009/01 ... skippable/
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 10 Jan 2009, 19:34

I was a bit bored today, and watched all 4 eps of Commodore Hustle, and just realized that Graham and Paul talked about doing this on the very first one XD
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 10 Jan 2009, 20:09

wilson_x1999 wrote:I was a bit bored today, and watched all 4 eps of Commodore Hustle, and just realized that Graham and Paul talked about doing this on the very first one XD

That was pre-Escapist contest, so they couldn't really have been referencing it, they did however discuss a video about Eternal Sonata.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “Unskippable”