Sweet Treats

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
Graham
Super Moderator

Sweet Treats

Postby Graham » 05 Aug 2013, 12:47

Before you jump into the latest dating sim, watch Kathleen's handy primer.
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Re: Sweet Treats

Postby Snowman » 05 Aug 2013, 17:43

Not sure if you guys had used used this before and I just missed it but I broke down laughing for the credits to:

Boom "They took our Jobs" Boom
Two Lapel Mics
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Aug 2013, 19:29

"Two Lapel Mics and an out-of-work boom" is the name of my Beck cover band. ;)

Said mics seemed to be set up perfectly this time, too! Image

Okay, first off, thank you for shining a light on a dirty little exploitive secret that's been bugging the FUCK outta me for quite some time: bullshit markup for Aussie games.

And then, dat game review! Ohhhh, Kathleen. :mrgreen:

What's that, guys? You felt uncomfortable at that? Gee, I guess it's just time for us to JOIN THE DAMN CLUB, huh? :twisted:

And the stinger? :lol:

(Oh, and I swear I wasn't AT ALL distracted by that tiny speck of fluff...honest! ;P )
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 05 Aug 2013, 23:23

This made me so, so happy. I couldn't stop laughing at the lower third during Kathleen's bishi ratings! Just what I needed to cheer me up after getting cat called on the way home from the library.

Also, what, I had heard Australians were being screwed with game prices, but this is unreal! If I had annnny money I would be participating in Monday's festivities. As it is, I'm gonna bug my gamer friends who aren't broke college students to participate.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 06 Aug 2013, 11:25

empath wrote:

And then, dat game review! Ohhhh, Kathleen. :mrgreen:

What's that, guys? You felt uncomfortable at that? Gee, I guess it's just time for us to JOIN THE DAMN CLUB, huh? :twisted:

Honestly I wasn't uncomfortable with it at all, just thought it went on a little long and lost it humor.

As far as Australia goes we need to do more to let publishers know they shouldnt treat our gamer brothers and sisters down under that way. Besides gifting how else can we make our voice heard.

Oh and Australia I believe that it is freely acceptable for yall to buy used games, and pirate games. If the publishers are going to screw you, screw them back.
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 06 Aug 2013, 11:35

Pimpin J wrote:just thought it went on a little long and lost it humor.

I was surprised at how long it actually went, but I thought the whole thing was really funny.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
DewMan001
First Video: Unskippable episode 1

Postby DewMan001 » 06 Aug 2013, 16:07

I was a little unsettled as Kathleen went through her round of Bishi reviews.

Also, as someone living in Australia, I am in for this giftathon. Due to the whole pricing thing, and the fact that I don't have a job, I stick primarily with indie games and can only add big AAA games to my Steam Library during a Humble Bundle or Steam sale. I had never played a Saints Row game, for example, until I grabbed Saints Row The Third for $5 on the Steam Summer Sale.

When they did the inquiry, it wasn't just related to games. It was about all software. They dragged the local heads of Apple, Microsoft and Adobe down here and asked them "Why?!". They might as well have just called it Question Dodge-a-thon 2013. The ABC's podcast Download this Show did a very good episode on the inquiry.

But, yeah. I'm so in for this game gifting thing. Where do I sign?
Tumblr (where stories live): http://dewman001.tumblr.com
Twitter (where thoughts live): http://twitter.com/dewman001
An album: http://bit.ly/19hnKaH
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 06 Aug 2013, 16:18

Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
LadyRhian
First Video: "The Job

Postby LadyRhian » 07 Aug 2013, 19:12

Is it just me, or except for Mr. Inafume, did she give the highest score to the guy who looked the most like Graham?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Aug 2013, 20:43

Actually, the guy who was "most similar to her actual prospects" can't run without getting winded, so it seems more like I got burnt :D
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 07 Aug 2013, 21:58

My view of the video game pricing thing is it's a relic they've never had any reason to change.

When I got back into gaming in the early 2000s, the Australian dollar was pretty weak... one Australian dollar buying 55-60 US cents. At that time, a game that ran for $50 in the US would cost $90 here, and that was pretty much entirely due to the currency differences.

Then 2008 hit, and the US economy tanked (the Aus economy tanked too, but to a lesser extent), and now the dollars are much closer to parity (for a while there, an Australian dollar was worth more than a US dollar). But the prices of games never shifted... and right now a game that would cost $60 in the states runs $100-$110 here.

You see the same pattern everywhere... if a company's costs rise, they'll use that as an excuse to ramp up their prices immediately. But if a company's costs fall, they'll try to pocket the difference, and reduce their prices as little as possible. And, in this case, "as little as possible" has turned out to be "not at all".

A significant part of the reason that's possible is due to region locking. If people could import their console games from overseas, the prices would probably have to drop a fair amount (as noted in the ep, the difference in price is more than enough to cover shipping a game from the US to here).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 30 Sep 2013, 05:29

Graham wrote:Actually, the guy who was "most similar to her actual prospects" can't run without getting winded, so it seems more like I got burnt :D

Just for fun, since I actually bought Sweet Fuse (too insane a concept not to!)-

Grizzled journalist who got 10/10? Actually has a daughter. I imagine that affects his score?
Easily winded gamer guy? Crazy ninja prowess in those 2 minutes he's not tired.
Pink jumpsuit? Yep, bad guy. The fortune teller's working for him for half the game too.

I ended up with police chief on my 'not trying to land anyone specific' playthrough. He takes a (rubber) bullet for you. And gets electrocuted. Actually, a lot of the guys end up horribly injured for your sake in this game...

(I'll spoiler this if requested, but most of what I say here you learn an hour into the game. Plus I can't imagine anyone cares.)

Return to “Checkpoint”