FD Rejected - Bears and Wine

News, with silly hats.
Graham
Super Moderator

FD Rejected - Bears and Wine

Postby Graham » 15 Sep 2011, 11:36

Leftovers from the Kathleen and Missie episode!
More FD Rejected to come!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: FD Rejected - Bears and Wine

Postby JackSlack » 15 Sep 2011, 12:21

Kathleen's last comments weren't so much funny as they were THE TRUTH.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 15 Sep 2011, 12:52

Is it bad that this "vacation" thing actually sounded good to me? I'd love to go to various countries and learn how things are done there, and how better to do that than live with a family and share their daily lives?
It sounds pretty cool to me, honestly.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 15 Sep 2011, 15:48

Avistew wrote:Is it bad that this "vacation" thing actually sounded good to me? I'd love to go to various countries and learn how things are done there, and how better to do that than live with a family and share their daily lives?
It sounds pretty cool to me, honestly.

Do you prefer the Original Pulp answer, or the Shatner version?

More seriously, this is the problem with it. You come from a culture with an intensely higher level of wealth than the people you're visiting, and you always -- always! -- have the chance to escape. You can't really form a true eye-to-eye relationship there. Ultimately, it seems to me better not to do it, because I can't see how it would be a positive experience for everyone.
Triangular
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Triangular » 15 Sep 2011, 17:08

The single frames of black followed by lime green throughout the episode, is anyone else seeing that? Can't pause on the green fast enough to see what it is. Is it a message or a glitch?
Always speak your mind, those that matter wont mind,
and those that mind, don't matter
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 15 Sep 2011, 18:30

Editing mistakes, I assume.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Sep 2011, 22:14

I have done some community tourism if you want to call it that. I spent a weekend on an extremely rural farm while I was abroad. The business was set up by the farmers as an extra source of income and I thought it would be an interesting experience. While we were there we helped with weeding and built a small wall. Jack Slack's point about it not being the same as living that way is absolutely correct. However, I still learned a lot from the experience and the farmer had not only a little extra cash and some extra labour done, but our company for the weekend, which was actually important to them considering how isolated they were.

Going one step further, I actually lived with an extremely poor family for three months and when it was time for me to leave it really hit me that I could just walk away and the people I met there never could. But once again, I learned a great deal about how they really live and I tried my best to contribute something back to the community. So I don't think it was a waste of time, even if it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have a much deeper understanding and a lot of respect for people who live in tough situations.

OK, I'm done being serious. Back to the funnies.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 16 Sep 2011, 01:48

Without wanting to belittle you, Tapir12, how valuable do you think it was for the extremely poor family? The other scenario is a good one and I can see the psychological value for both yourself and the farmers you stayed with; I can see the isolation thing. But my issue with community tourism is that it seems to be enriching for the tourist at the expense of the community, if you take my drift. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong, though.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 16 Sep 2011, 14:11

Well the second case wasn't "tourism" like the first was. In the second case I was being hosted by a family while I volunteered at a local school. I did contribute to the community and that was, in fact, my primary purpose for being there. I also bought things from the local vendors where I could and bought groceries any times for my hose family.

The school that I volunteered at does, however, have a partnership with a local safari company (this is in Kenya, by the way). The owner of the company brings the tourists to the school as part of their trip and most often the end up donating to the school. The kids will often do some songs and dances for the tourists that come by. The owner of the company also helps with advice and tries to get other sponsors for the school, which is always short on financial resources. When I first heard about this arrangement, which was set up before I got there, I didn't really like it. But the school sees it as a great source of income and the kids really enjoy performing and getting the attention. So, is that a good things or a bad thing? For the school, it's seen as a necessity, because they need to money to pay the teachers and buy supplies. I would be curious to know what you think about it, Jack Slack.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 26 Sep 2011, 19:36

JackSlack wrote:More seriously, this is the problem with it. You come from a culture with an intensely higher level of wealth than the people you're visiting, and you always -- always! -- have the chance to escape. You can't really form a true eye-to-eye relationship there. Ultimately, it seems to me better not to do it, because I can't see how it would be a positive experience for everyone.

Well, I think you need not to see it as "I'm better and I'm going to help you guys", which I think is BS and offensive. You need to see it as "I can learn stuff from YOU guys". You're the one getting something out of it. That's why you're the one spending money there.
The danger is obviously to be patronising, or to be all "I'm one of you guys". But if you go in the spirit of "hey, I'm from somewhere else, I want to learn about how things work here, then I'll be on my way" I don't see why it couldn't be a positive experience. I'm always eager to learn about how things are done elsewhere, and meeting new people is always enriching.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)

Return to “Feed Dump”