Insects for Dinner

News, with silly hats.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Insects for Dinner

Postby Kathleen » 15 May 2013, 09:26

This week's Feed Dump shines a light on the UN's plan to do eradicate all insect life.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Insects for Dinner

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 May 2013, 09:45

Gotta say, think you're being kinda harsh on the UN here. Bugs are kind of icky, but they're a largely wasted resource and can be properly nutritious.

That wouldn't be half as funny though, so I guess I'm just being 'that guy'
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 15 May 2013, 10:21

Graham's Obama is surprisingly accurate. Also liking the background music, it definitely keeps the energy up.

Speaking of keeping your energy up, im'a go make me a grasshopper sandwich.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

pariah164
First Video: commodoreHustle episode 1

Postby pariah164 » 15 May 2013, 10:30

Loved the ep as always, but one minor complaint: the music all throughout the video. I understood doing it for Feed Dump 100, but it makes my mind little confused, because I try to hear the words, but then upbeats in the music catch my attention and I have to rewind to catch what was said that I missed. Please omit this in the future, or add/post a music-free alternative.
Glory to LRRstotzka!

The wrestling will continue until morale improves.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Project Diva X - Atelier Rorona - Fire Emblem Fates

CURRENTLY CRAFTING: Rainbow Loom dreamcatchers, OSU scarf
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 15 May 2013, 10:32

Graham your Obama impression is really good. How long did you practice that?
Also did you decide to pick that hat to match your shirt or did that just happen lol.

Great episode :)
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 May 2013, 11:01

Great, now I'm eating bugs and living in a yurt. THANKS GRAHAMBAMA!
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 15 May 2013, 11:08

I both love and strongly dislike the background music. Note I didn't say hate there.

It was nice in FD100, because of the crazy, but as pariah said, it really distracts from the talky-talky.

That said, the music in SPRING, I barely noticed until further watches of it.. So.. I guess that's something or whatever?

Also, bugs, etc! I always hear the whole "it's just extra protein" argument, but eh. It's bugs, they're crawly. D:
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 May 2013, 12:13

I re-watched it, and still didn't hear the music. Only with headphones was it even noticeable. I guess my ambient room noise drowns it out. Therefore, I am completely indifferent to its presence.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 May 2013, 12:45

...there was music?

*checks headphones*

Either my hearing is worse than I thought, or these are starting to go pud...

But yeah, your Obama impersonation has his mannerisms down to a TEE! So good!

"Constable Not-In-Fact-a-Cop" is the name of my Police cover band. :)

Great vid! And I'm not at all put off by you not having pythons. :mrgreen:
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 15 May 2013, 13:33

+1 for GrahamBama

-1 for Python hate. They are great pets... *sigh*
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 15 May 2013, 15:23

Good episode, the background music started to bother me about halfway through. Didn't notice this in #100, but here I found it rather distracting and unpleasant.
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 15 May 2013, 16:26

I couldn't hear the music in this episode but I did in episode 100. Weird.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 15 May 2013, 16:43

Man _I_ want to order drone strikes at a concert...

Also I'm going to come out against background music as well... I can't help but attend to it...
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
empath

Postby empath » 15 May 2013, 17:04

Okay, I shut off every other tab that's making sound or music. I got the wife to turn down her computer. I turned off the radio playing in the bedroom on 1. I turned the video's volume to max, and have the volume on my headphones at about 75/100...

...and I STILL have to struggle to even hear this positively subaural background music over the cool people speaking!

HOW DO YOU FIND THIS DISRUPTIVE?!? :shock:

Don't get me wrong, if my wife happens to laugh at the wrong moment or the phone rings, or any one of a hundred possible disruptive sounds occurs, I've gotta pause and go back to hear what I missed...

...but THIS slips below my threshold JUST FINE. Image
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 15 May 2013, 17:13

It doesn't bother me at all, but if people find it annoying or distracting maybe it should be removed? In the end the choice is up to LRR.

My only issue is basicly with all LRR videos with volume being to low. But I have hearing problems anyway. LRR videos are the only ones I watch that I have to max out the volume to hear clearly with headphones.
Last edited by Foxmar on 15 May 2013, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 May 2013, 18:01

empath wrote:...but THIS slips below my threshold JUST FINE. Image

It is very possible that your hearing sensitivity is low due to age/hearing damage, because I have my volume barely turned to 50% on my video and on my speakers (effectively 25% of max) and I can hear the music clearly. It's super obvious to me. Like, super super obvious. It's not LOUD by any means, but you can tell there's music there. You might want to try a hearing loss test. Try the low frequencies especially.

It seems the comments (on the Escapist) are split between "didn't notice it" and "don't like it" with a few "do like it" thrown in.

Like I said in the previous thread: I thought it was a fine little treat for the 100th episode, but personally I don't want it to be a regular thing, since it ruins the illusion that it's an fun improv "friends sitting around riffing in a basement" thing and makes it seem like more of a scripted show.

It's also distracting to me, since it's just a generic loop, it's not interesting or timed to coincide or accentuate the stuff people are saying, it just plays over them. It gets... kind of annoying. :/

---

Re: the video, MAN now I want quadrotors delivering me everything... suddenly I am totally OK with unmanned aerial drones. Is this how it begins? Is this how they lure us into a false sense of complacency, by bringing us gifts from the sky???
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 May 2013, 19:23

I think Alexander has hit the nail on the head here. It does break the suspension of disbelief a little but it also sometimes just clashes with what's going on. When the cast makes a well timed and appropriate beat panel, as it were, having the trickle of music bleed through spoils it a little
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 May 2013, 20:12

All feedback received!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 May 2013, 20:12

All feedback received!
empath

Postby empath » 15 May 2013, 20:16

AlexanderDitto wrote:Re: the video, MAN now I want quadrotors delivering me everything... suddenly I am totally OK with unmanned aerial drones. Is this how it begins? Is this how they lure us into a false sense of complacency, by bringing us gifts from the sky???

Actually, yes - that IS how they make us totally dependant upon them, by being appealing and an attractive/easy alternative to choose...

:? Dang, now you're creeping my paranoid side out! :P

After listening closely for it, yeah it's the theme looped, and a pretty low volume. I'm undecided about it - while the crew has mentioned it keeps 'em peppy and it does NOTHING for me one way or the other, it DOES bother some people. It's really up to them what they do. But if they wanted to take a poll of us, I guess I'd have to tick "Not Applicable"! :lol:

ADDENDUM: Graham..."feedback" - ISYDT! :P

{Side-discussion on hearing: Cool site Ditto! Ran through them all - I *can* hear everything from 20Hz right up to 12kHz; 15+ is just "click at start/silence/click at end", and it's pretty obvious when alternating between something lower down and one of those. The 20Hz to 100Hz range was interesting; the lowest pitches 'sounded quieter' than the others, getting progressively louder until I had to turn my sound down when I got to 100Hz! :) 12kHz was 'quieter' like the low range, but even 10kHz was loud to me. It seems I've got the typical 'lose the higher range with age' issue (no hearing that dang 'sneaky teen' ringtone at 19kHz ;) ) and maybe a little environmental damage based on the faintness of 20-60Hz, but I haven't worked in loud environments, and I always used to keep volumes of tvs/radios/etc down to 1-2, and rarely wore headphones (I 'grew out' of using portable music by the time the dreaded earbud came along :) )

I'm wondering if my inability to 'focus' on the faint background music is related my known neurological "figure-ground" problem - significant difficulty in detecting sound (or worse yet, comprehending speech) with background 'distractions' - might even be related to my dyslexia.

:!: There's an idea - I'll go back and run through them while I've got some YouTube music playing and see if there's any difference.

Okay, 20Hz and 30Hz disappear COMPLETELY (can't even detect the start&end clicks), and 40Hz is a faint hum. Beyond that is the same right up to 12kHz without 'distraction' apart from sounding a little fainter (I'm comfortable playing them at my 50% volume settings); strangely I *can* hear the 'clicks' for the 'inaudible' range of frequencies while I have 'foreground music' playing...fascinating...

Gah, I'd love to spend some time with a proper audiologist going over this! :lol:

Again, thanks for this! I'd had a pretty exhaustive audiology exam done when I was a teen (2-3hrs of going through long arrays of tests), and maybe seven(?) years ago my GP referred me to a Beltone hearing clinic for a much briefer exam, but in neither case did anyone discuss the results with me (in the former, I was a teen and my parents were present, in the latter, I guess they were only checking to see if they could sell me a hearing aid :P ). Thanks to my own research since, I've got a better understanding of all this, and this site is JUST what I've been looking for!}
psychopompos
First Video: the first episode of Checkpoint

Postby psychopompos » 15 May 2013, 20:46

Actually, about two billion people eat bugs as a dietary staple.

It's not that weird.

(Side note: I have eaten grillos fritos– literally, Spanish for "fried crickets". They don't actually taste like that much: actually, they're kind of bland. The only real taste is the massive amounts of salt that the place I had them at put on them. So basically, it's tiny, crunchy vessels for grease and salt. Not bad, but not great either.)
may all your ghosts come back to haunt you

My Blog (regularly updated): Axolotl Ceviche
My Tumblr (music-related, sporadically updated): 24-Hour Nothing Hour
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 May 2013, 20:48

psychopompos wrote:Actually, about two billion people eat bugs as a dietary staple.

It's not that weird.

(Side note: I have eaten grillos fritos– literally, Spanish for "fried crickets". They don't actually taste like that much: actually, they're kind of bland. The only real taste is the massive amounts of salt that the place I had them at put on them. So basically, it's tiny, crunchy vessels for grease and salt. Not bad, but not great either.)
We know, that was in the article. But we're here for jokes.

I don't even think we said it was bad per se... just that people would react badly to the idea.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 May 2013, 20:54

Someone will eventually think to call them "Land Lobsters" or something and then it'll be easy selling.
psychopompos
First Video: the first episode of Checkpoint

Postby psychopompos » 15 May 2013, 21:42

Utilitarian wrote:Someone will eventually think to call them "Land Lobsters" or something and then it'll be easy selling.

The typical tactic that I've seen people use is hiding them in candy.

In the town where I live, you can even go to the 7-Eleven and find, right at the checkout counter, LOLLIPOPS WITH DEAD SCORPIONS ON THE INSIDE. I believe they're called "Stinger Pops".

But then again, the town I live in is deeply, deeply weird. It might just be that it's a regional thing, like the It's It.
may all your ghosts come back to haunt you

My Blog (regularly updated): Axolotl Ceviche
My Tumblr (music-related, sporadically updated): 24-Hour Nothing Hour
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 16 May 2013, 04:38

I find the pronunciation of python hilarious. We say PY-thun, you guys say py-THON. This amuses me greatly :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “Feed Dump”