GPLP: Venetica

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: GPLP: Venetica

Postby Nevrmore » 21 Jul 2011, 14:21

AlexanderDitto wrote:I just saw on the LRR twitter feed that SA gave you shit about this not being a "real" Let's Play. Well, they can go eat a bowl of dicks, because I listened and loved this. It's great to just let it play in the background and listen to you guys quip about silly things.

Maybe it's not a Let's Play, but honestly? Why would someone want a video walkthrough of this game? It's so terrible. Without you guys cracking wise, such a video would probably be lethal.

Dude, calm your shit. SA has been ridiculously civil about explaining why Graham's post needed improvement and baseless fanboy grandstanding doesn't get anybody anywhere.

The fact of the matter is that Graham didn't follow the procedure established for the forum and cheated people who might have been interested out of the full effect of watching a Let's Play. He didn't post in the Sandcastle (which isn't a requirement, but is appreciated) to test to see how it would be received and then made a thread dumping the whole shebang at once. The point of a Let's Play and its corresponding thread is to allow the watchers to comment, question, and influence the player in a myriad of ways. That's what makes it fun.

And regardless of that, the people in the thread were as nice as nice can be, calmly explaining to Graham where the problems in his thread were, and Graham took absolutely no offense and kept on trucking. So cool it with the hip-fire "eat a bowl of dicks" comments whenever someone criticizes something you enjoy.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jul 2011, 16:06

Yeah, I felt that the one guy was generally pleasant enough, if a little rudely brusque in some of his phrasing. But he certainly wasn't an asshole at all.

I will say though Nevrmore, that I read ALL the rules and it never mentioned the Sandcastle (something I'm still not clear on) and I didn't "cheat" anyone out of anything, thanks.

Fact is, I thought they'd like our LP, and I wasn't aware how different in style it is from theirs. They were never the intended audience, so it's not surprising that it's not their thing, and that's my bad.

In future, we'll still be doing them in our own style though. It's how we prefer to do it, and I just won't post them to SA.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 21 Jul 2011, 16:42

Graham wrote:Yeah, I felt that the one guy was generally pleasant enough, if a little rudely brusque in some of his phrasing. But he certainly wasn't an asshole at all.

I will say though Nevrmore, that I read ALL the rules and it never mentioned the Sandcastle (something I'm still not clear on) and I didn't "cheat" anyone out of anything, thanks.

Fact is, I thought they'd like our LP, and I wasn't aware how different in style it is from theirs. They were never the intended audience, so it's not surprising that it's not their thing, and that's my bad.

In future, we'll still be doing them in our own style though. It's how we prefer to do it, and I just won't post them to SA.

Don't mean to offend. The Sandcastle is basically a thread where you post what would be the opening post for an LP complete with a write-up and the first update (video, screenshots, etc.). It's for people to get feedback on if the LP is a good idea, if a gimmick needs to be worked on, if they need better equipment, etc.

The fact of the matter in terms of "cheating users out of X" is that, as you say, your style is different from theirs. You're running what is basically a web show and as such user participation doesn't have a central theme, whereas in the LP forum the main draw is viewer feedback and discussing the new developments in the thread as they happen.

Bottom line is you thought it would be cool and your ignorance (not intended as an insulting word) of how they like to run the forum garnered criticism. But it's plain to see that you obviously put effort into it and you are up to snuff so instead of ripping you to Hell and back you were given advice on the way the LP Forum conducts itself. It's not a big deal at all and certainly doesn't warrant anyone to start screaming how wrong they are and how their format's shitty and how they should eat dicks.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 21 Jul 2011, 16:47

You can just start your own SA forums, with blackjack, and hookers! In fact, forget the SA forums. Ahh screw the whole thing.

I had to google said thread out of curiosity, and I guess I can see where they are coming from with the whole let *us* play feedback point. I must admit even just watching the chat during the unskippable one added to the amusement during the more *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* Is it dead yet? *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* *slash* type segments. You've already addressed the trade off there though and I'm quite happy with the more content option.

I don't agree as much with their dole them out over time theory though, but then I am a glutton.

Maybe these would be better advertised as a super long extended bonus Unskippable with gameplay, but I suppose the big E probably has the rights to that name. If I remember right you hit 2000 chatters near the end of the Legaia 2, so there must be an audience for these out there somewhere, although I have no idea how much of it you've already tapped. Maybe a youtube crosspost/promo would get a few views. Given how often I've seen the "I miss ENN / It's called CheckPoint now" thing come up in feed dump threads though you've obviously got your advertising work cut out for you.
Can't wait for more.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jul 2011, 17:31

Thanks for the clarification Nevrmore, appreciate it.

Yeah, The Escapist isn't going to promote something so similar to Unskippable (frankly, I'm glad we're able to do it at all).
I just wanted to get more word out there. Oh well!
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 21 Jul 2011, 19:37

Wasn't "viral marketing fail" already a Commodore Hustle plot? :)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Jul 2011, 21:36

The early history of LoadingReadyRun is doing something cool and not really telling anyone.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Kingdragon81
First Video: It's magic

Postby Kingdragon81 » 21 Jul 2011, 22:38

So about how often can we expect a GPLP, if you had to make a rough estimate? Also I know I have ideas for the next GPLP but do you have any idea what you're going to do? (sorry if I sound pushy I don't mean to)
KITTY!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jul 2011, 23:07

With the workload we have upcoming, probably not until after PAX, sorry.
Kathleen and I are going on a vacation, and there's a lot of advance prep for that.
Sylphiel
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby Sylphiel » 23 Jul 2011, 06:00

Graham wrote:In future, we'll still be doing them in our own style though. It's how we prefer to do it, and I just won't post them to SA.

Honestly, I wouldn't write off posting it on SA. A lot of people seem to have really dug the videos. If you'd presented it in an episodic format it would have gone over better.

It's like if, when LRR videos moved to The Escapist, rather that just posting the regular Monday video, you'd posted 12 weeks of videos all at once. It's overwhelming and a little off-putting.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with your formula that would make it unsuitable for SA. It's all in the presentation.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Jul 2011, 09:59

Yeah, that was kind of a snap decision from me based on the first couple of responses (which weren't bad, just not excited).

Seeing the rest of the responses now, I think we'll definitely follow up with SA.
DolphinHater
First Video: TheLoadingReadyRumble

Postby DolphinHater » 25 Jul 2011, 13:49

I honestly forgot about LRR for about a month until you posted on SA.I was still watching the videos on the Escapist but for some reason it wasn't clicking that "Oh, it's LRR. I should go watch the podcast or visit the forum." I have a lot of catching up to do now.
As for SA, following up would be sweet. A lot of people there are already fans, and it would attract some more that hadn't heard of you prior to the dump post. you guys are already pretty much on par in terms of video quality, and that was the nicest reception to a mess up I've seen on the LP forums in years.
Moonsy
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Moonsy » 01 Aug 2011, 09:16

Graham when you hummed the heroic traveling tune from holy grail I really lost all of my shit.
Teh Masterer

Postby Teh Masterer » 03 Aug 2011, 04:26

Great series!

It's a shame you didn't play any further than the first boss, though - it gets really fun once you unlock some physical and magical abilities. Block, for example.

And later on, whenever you seen a skeleton, you can go into the twilight realm and talk to them. Creepy.

And you even get to go to Africa!
Don't ask.
Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!
dando300
First Video: gplp

Postby dando300 » 09 Aug 2011, 13:19

Please make more this was awesome and I do like the idea of having guests.
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 20 Aug 2011, 15:10

I'll second that (or however many we're up to).
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
willgreg123
First Video: Trapped

Postby willgreg123 » 23 Aug 2011, 07:46

Ok, as I was in the middle of watching Ventica PT6, I had to pause, click discuss, click register, register for the forum, log into my email, click the activation link, log out of my email, then long into this forum... only to say how hilarious that Blacksmith montage bit was! Wow, I laughed so hard at that XD I don't even wanna quote it in fear of spoiling it for anyone else reading.

On a somber note, I was actually feeling really, really depressed and getting into one of those moods, but that was just what I needed to throw me out of that funk! Thank you so much, it really came in the nick of time...

FYI, thanks for responding so promptly to my message on Escapist! I'm greatly enjoying this Let's Play, glad to see you're both still doing them. I don't care if it's live or not, you guys work really well off the cuff.
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 04 Oct 2011, 14:22

I really enjoyed watching this Lets Play. Mostly for the commentary but I also thought the game looked interesting. I think because of the hammer. I really like hammers. So after Paul & Graham were done with it I wanted to see what happened next. I went and did a search on YouTube for Lets Play videos on Venentica. Oddly almost all of them were in German. I have no idea why. But I eventually found a Belgium woman's channel [bustedwitch] that covered this game. What struck me was the completely different combat styles between her and Graham. Graham seemed very much to be a boxer. He'd get right in there and jab away as fast as he could. While she was a sniper. Staying as far away as possible while still scoring hits. It granted her a lot more maneuvering room. She seemed to take advantage of the tumbling and rolling a lot more. She was able to get in behind the enemies fairly often. I found the differences in play style interesting. Looking forward to any future Lets Play videos from the LRR crew.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 04 Oct 2011, 14:47

do you know what I played lately that sucked monkey face and I think would make for a great gplp? the first two worlds
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 11 Dec 2011, 10:35

So, you guys might have already realized this by now, but I didn't see anything about it in the thread, so I wanted to point it out. You do get two items for the cherub door and the spiky gate. One's a dagger from the cook and the other's a wrench from the master in the room with the recipe. All the same, love GPLP. It's like extra Unskippable. This is actually my second time watching through this one, which is why I was able to pay special attention to that part to see if you really got anything or not. I hope you do more of Venetica sometime in the future. The combat does seem frustrating, but the story seems ripe for riffing.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 22 Feb 2012, 13:57

So... random question. Why is my YouTube sub box now getting inundated with GPLP videos? Did blip find out what you were doing? Because I remember hearing that they kind of have a "no game footage" rule.

Don't get me wrong. Loved it the first time. Just assumed that the old LRR YouTube account was abandoned, and then... SURPRISE! GPLP!
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Feb 2012, 15:59

We decided that we weren't really "competing" with our YouTube channel, and the files can live quite happily in both places. Plus, YouTube seems like the place for them. They'll continue to air here, hosted on Blip, as well.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 22 Feb 2012, 17:12

Oh, that's pretty awesome. If uploaded (which I'm assuming it will), I can actually watch the Dante's Inferno playthrough without the video being riddle with black boxes*.

*This is something my computer does to videos hosted on blip (and a few others). LRR hasn't done anything to cause this problem.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Feb 2012, 00:07

Episode 17 online!
Next time: SATAN!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Feb 2012, 00:10

Graham wrote:Episode 17 online!
Next time: SATAN!

Uh, did you mean to post this in the other GPLP thread? Or has the plot of Venetica changed somewhat since I last saw it?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “GPLP”