GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Re: GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Postby phlip » 27 Oct 2011, 01:53

I love how resigned Brad is at this point... something happens that comes within 6 degrees of separation of the original Inferno and he's all "Yes! That happened!"
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 27 Oct 2011, 01:59

Remember kids, it's your duty to absolve the damned; smash a sinner's face in with a crucifix today!
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 27 Oct 2011, 03:34

Man, are they even trying to not look like God of War?
ImageImage
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 27 Oct 2011, 05:29

Surprised no one picked up on the fact that you were fighting mostly unwed mothers
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 27 Oct 2011, 11:06

are you posting these on SA as well? If so what is the reaction?
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 27 Oct 2011, 12:17

I'm so glad you guys are doing this. Mostly because I want to hear how someone with better knowledge of the source material would react to this game.

I bought it when it came out, knowing what kind of game it was: Blatant God of War clone, that's also bastardizing a well-known poem. Hell (no pun intended), I picked up a copy of the Divine Comedy (as translated by Allen Mandelbaum) and read it to a certain point in Inferno. I will say that it was definitely out of my reading comfort zone, but I didn't feel lost while reading. Especially when there are reference notes in the back of the book to help me; which I didn't refer to, strangely enough.

What made me stop reading was simply moving on to another shiny bauble that came my way =P
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Oct 2011, 12:32

Pigmy Wurm wrote:are you posting these on SA as well? If so what is the reaction?
I haven't yet, but I think I'll draft a post later on.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 27 Oct 2011, 12:39

Paul was interrupted at the beginning of the second video. He started quoting Yatzhee "if the good option and the evil option take the same amount of effort..."
What was the end of that sentence? What if they take the same amount of effort? Is it "what's the point of having a choice?" is it, because Yatzhee's the one who said it "what's the point of having a good option if it takes as much effort"? Is it something complitely different?
I wanna know! Please tell me you remember what you wanted to say there, Paul.

And he got interrupted saying that more than once, too. Every time I was like "oh, he's going to say it now!" but no, interrupted again >.>

I'm pretty sure Charon IS pronounced ˈkɛərɒn, with a K sound, not a "tsh". And I'm pretty sure I've also seen it spelt with a K.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Oct 2011, 14:07

I love the opening to the game. Tutorial, tutorial, tutorial, DEATH!!

Also, and I know this might not be easy, but how about a small screen in a corner showing you guys as you're playing it, because I would very much like to have seen Brad's face :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 27 Oct 2011, 14:24

Avistew wrote:I'm pretty sure Charon IS pronounced ˈkɛərɒn, with a K sound, not a "tsh". And I'm pretty sure I've also seen it spelt with a K.

Correct. The ancient Greeks didn't go so much for the soft "ch" sound. So much for Brad's expert knowledge! :P
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Oct 2011, 14:32

Geoff_B wrote:I love the opening to the game. Tutorial, tutorial, tutorial, DEATH!!

Also, and I know this might not be easy, but how about a small screen in a corner showing you guys as you're playing it, because I would very much like to have seen Brad's face :D
Well, we certainly can't do that this time... maybe in future.
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 27 Oct 2011, 14:50

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:
Avistew wrote:I'm pretty sure Charon IS pronounced ˈkɛərɒn, with a K sound, not a "tsh". And I'm pretty sure I've also seen it spelt with a K.

Correct. The ancient Greeks didn't go so much for the soft "ch" sound. So much for Brad's expert knowledge! :P

To be fair, he never claimed to be an expert on ancient Greek Mythology.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Oct 2011, 14:56

Graham wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:I love the opening to the game. Tutorial, tutorial, tutorial, DEATH!!

Well, we certainly can't do that this time... maybe in future.

Sorry, I didn't mean this time.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 27 Oct 2011, 15:16

I too would love a screen where you can see the players, if it's doable. Hell, even if you make it two different videos I'll watch them twice for that :P
Or maybe side by side.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 27 Oct 2011, 16:33

I'm continuing to learn much: the first level of Hell has mostly unreadable subtitles in blur-o-vision's TinyPrint™. I know you guys can't do much about that save for spending a month uploading 6 hours of HD footage, but that font must have been hard to read even on a tv.
Anyways continuing to enjoy the series a lot of course, can't wait for part 3.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 27 Oct 2011, 18:39

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:

I however payed money to learn ancient greek in college (don't ask, it seemed like a good idea at the time) and his name is spelled Χάρων, or chi-alpha-rho-omega-nu. Chi was pronounced as an "aspirated C", sort of a cross between a "ch" and a "sh," or if you were to make a "k" sound with an open mouth while breathing out. So yeah it probably wasn't a tch sound, but that is about as close as many other pronunciations.

That said convention is greek words where the original root had a chi in it will usually use a hard "k" sound, such as in Chimera, or in Crist which was spelled Χριστός, or "christos." (Fun fact, using an X to abbreviate Christ, as in Xmas, actually has a historical precedent, of course back then it wasn't an x, it was a chi, which just looks like an X but the point remains). Really the point is both pronunciations are technically wrong, and since we don't have audio recordings from 2,000 years ago we don't have a 100% idea of what the language sounded like anyway.

And that is probably more than any of you wanted to know, but I took two semesters of greek and damn I'm not going to pass up a chance to use it.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 27 Oct 2011, 21:11

I really do hope you go through the whole game with this. This is pretty interesting, seeing the stuff that the devs put parallel with the book and which parts they pulled out of their ass, for lack of a better phrase.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 27 Oct 2011, 21:29

Lancer wrote:I really do hope you go through the whole game with this. This is pretty interesting, seeing the stuff that the devs put parallel with the book and which parts they pulled out of their ass, for lack of a better phrase.

The best way to describe this game, and in the nerdiest way possible, is it's a 90's comic book: Trying too hard to be mature, with blood, gore and tits, and being completely, stone-face serious about it.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 27 Oct 2011, 21:56

Lancer wrote:I really do hope you go through the whole game with this. This is pretty interesting, seeing the stuff that the devs put parallel with the book and which parts they pulled out of their ass, for lack of a better phrase.

They already said they did, didn't they?
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 28 Oct 2011, 06:10

I'll pronounce Charon anyway I like. It was my favourite planet when I was a young kild.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
BattleBarnes
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby BattleBarnes » 28 Oct 2011, 15:49

None for Friday :( ?
Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 28 Oct 2011, 15:54

so is it:
we get them up when we can/get to it OR
we get them up but not in weekends (we are filming dammit)

Just want to know how condensed the awesome will be
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 28 Oct 2011, 18:56

The whole Charon's head thing just reminds me of that scene from Meet the Medic.

Charon: Kill me.
Dante: Later...
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby DancingFox » 28 Oct 2011, 20:37

Okay, this is brilliant. I usually don't watch such things, because I figure either I'll play it if it's a good game, or the commentary usually isn't enough to carry it alone if it's a bad game. But this is GREAT. The inclusion of Brad as somebody with reasonably extensive knowledge in the subject, and then a game which is a horrific mess of a legitimate classic, makes for perfect fodder. Also you guys are really funny and have some legitimately interesting comments as well, the historical content just makes it really fantastic. I greatly look forward to future installments!

Also, really? An achievement for killing 20 unbaptized babies? Really?
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 28 Oct 2011, 21:27

great episode, definitely worth the wait.

Oh and Orpheus was a hero, which for the greeks was similar to being a saint. I mean he was an awesome musician (he out-sang the sirens and could control animals with music) he could see the future and he had the balls to just walk into hell and get his wife back. Sure he messed up in the end but most people who tried that were lucky to make it out alive.

Return to “GPLP”