GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Fawlkes
First Video: Cursing

Re: GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Postby Fawlkes » 11 Jan 2012, 11:31

1/11/2012, its Wensday and the escapist is down! I can't watch ZP or feed dump? noooooo! whhyyyyy! oooh look its Dantes inferno 12 to save the day :D yay
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 11 Jan 2012, 11:51

Ah dammit, it was up BEFORE I started watching this. Oh well.

I'm not sure why Graham laughed when Brad said "I was being facetious," unless "facetious" has something to do with poop.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 11 Jan 2012, 12:35

Fawlkes wrote:1/11/2012, its Wensday and the escapist is down! I can't watch ZP or feed dump? noooooo! whhyyyyy! oooh look its Dantes inferno 12 to save the day :D yay

My thoughts a little while ago exactly. Wish big E spent the money they wasted "improving" their frontend on actually improving the backend, but oh well.
Vigafre wrote:I'm not sure why Graham laughed when Brad said "I was being facetious," unless "facetious" has something to do with poop.

My best guess is a pun on feces, maybe he said feces-sious or something and it just didn't come across as well in the compressed audio.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 11 Jan 2012, 13:35

Ah, "feces-sious" would make sense.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 11 Jan 2012, 15:08

This run is pretty full of puns.

Just you guys wait til the end. Paul broke me with one a few levels down.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
WanderingWolf
First Video: In death as in life

Postby WanderingWolf » 11 Jan 2012, 19:29

Caught the 12th episode. I enjoyed it greatly :)
Inconceivable!

My Facebook
karpma
First Video: unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby karpma » 12 Jan 2012, 09:53

I think Brad made a small mistake in part 13. When he was talking about usurers he said it was people who defaced art. It is actually people who lend money at very high interest rates, that is why all the people Dante meets at that point are of banking families of the day. Part of their punishment is wearing a heavy bags of money around their neck with their family seal on it, very creative.
Also when Paul was saying it is silly for the indecisive to be in hell they actually aren't they are before the entrance of hell. Essentially in the book Virgil says don't pay any attention to them, they didn't even have the motivation in life to get them past the front gate.
Still really enjoying them, please keep them coming.
chif-ii
First Video: Every OS sucks

Postby chif-ii » 12 Jan 2012, 11:13

Oh no, not more mic problems.

Also, I enjoyed it when Virgil mentions crimes of the flesh and crimes of malice, as that's actually in the source material.
ImageImage
MrWhitekeys
First Video: ENN

Postby MrWhitekeys » 12 Jan 2012, 11:19

The reason the sodomites are in the violence circle and not the lust is not because of the gay sex. It is because they were guilty of rape (of both male and female). So the sodomites being with the violent makes perfect sense.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Jan 2012, 11:29

Huh... I always thought the forest of the suicides were further up in the circles. Guess I got confused by the hell scenes in <i>Sandman</i>

Also, are we to suppose that powerful beam of light is literally the only part of hell that heaven's leaking in on. I mean, that statue there looked pretty... maybe everybody looking through that little hole thinks everything is going fine down there.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 12 Jan 2012, 14:17

<Reads 4 previous responses> Yeeeesh, am I the only one that hasn't read the book? :P

Well I can still talk science with Paul at least.

Gold melts at ~1000°C and boils at ~2850°C. I didn't look up the boiling point of blood since I don't need to get put on any lists, but lets assume its somewhere in the vicinity of water.
I don't know how burning works in hell since you aren't actually burning (or you wouldn't be there forever) but lets just assume the pain is linear w.r.t to temp and give this one to boiling blood.

But, there is another factor that didn't really come up - density. Assuming standard densities apply in hell, gold is 17.31 g/cm3 in the liquid state, while the avg human is 1.01 g/cm3, and density of blood is apparently 1.06 g/cm3.
This means that you'd be pretty much entirely submerged in the boiling blood, and possibly required to swim (assuming boiling blood inside your lungs can still raise the pain levels, since you can't drown). With the gold though, you'd only need to submerge about 1/17th of your volume to float, so you could probably just wade in gold somewhere above knee level but probably below groin level. This seems like a win for gold.

So it looks like we've got 1/17th the volume at 28.5x the temperature, or almost all of you at somewhere around 100°C with possibly infinite drowning.
Smell, taste and visual aesthetics are left as an exercise for the reader.

I don't feel I can declare a clear cut winner, but at least we know our options.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 Jan 2012, 14:41

I, too, have not read the book, and this LP has been a lot more enlightening than I expected.

That's pretty awesome.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 12 Jan 2012, 20:14

Don't know if it's been said (heck, I might've even said it already), but for everyone's reference:

Circles 6+ of Hell are all part of the City of Dis. Once you enter Dis, you're there until you meet Satan at the center of Circle 9, then the book ends and Dante the Warrior must survive... Purgatory.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Brad

Postby Brad » 13 Jan 2012, 05:55

karpma wrote:I think Brad made a small mistake in part 13. When he was talking about usurers he said it was people who defaced art. It is actually people who lend money at very high interest rates, that is why all the people Dante meets at that point are of banking families of the day. Part of their punishment is wearing a heavy bags of money around their neck with their family seal on it, very creative.
Also when Paul was saying it is silly for the indecisive to be in hell they actually aren't they are before the entrance of hell. Essentially in the book Virgil says don't pay any attention to them, they didn't even have the motivation in life to get them past the front gate.
Still really enjoying them, please keep them coming.

Really? That doesn't sound like a mistake I'd make - but yes you are correct, usurers did not at all deface art. I was probably skimming along the notes and trying to watch the game at the same time. Technically usurers are people who charged interest on loans at all - not just high rates. Christians weren't allowed to do it, and so it becomes an occupation traditionally associated with the Jews, and quite often the underlying reason to anti-semetic attacks such as the massacre of 1190 in York. In that one, rioters trapped the Jewish population in Clifford's tower, then sought out the records of who owed how much and destroyed them, and would have slaughtered the Jews (they did slaughter those who tried to escape), but they set the building on fire and committed suicide. This was one of the examples of declining protection from the crown for Jews - technically at this point they "belonged" to the king - essentially they had his protection in exchange for beneficial lending rates. A century later, Jews were exiled from England entirely and the English crown began borrowing from the Italian banking syndicates (who in their turn borrowed from Jewish moneylenders).

It certainly won't be the only mistake that I make (and in fact isn't the only one, even in this episode) - it is difficult to maintain concentration on things while watching the game, trying to listen to Virgil and banter all at once. I think it might be like one of those cases where you try to draw letters and end up making a lot of spelling mistakes you otherwise wouldn't because the different parts of your brain are competing for control.

Twitter

Flickr

karpma
First Video: unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby karpma » 13 Jan 2012, 08:57

Brad wrote:
usurers did not at all deface art...Technically usurers are people who charged interest on loans at all - not just high rates. Christians weren't allowed to do it, and so it becomes an occupation traditionally associated with the Jews...

In your defence this it is the circle of violence defacing art would actually have made a great deal of sense here, usury on the other hand is a bit of a stretch. In my opinion it would probably make more sense in the 6th circle but considering it is all in part based on Dante's own perspective you really can't criticize it to much.
To your point about the treatment of jews, it is interesting that no jews are mentioned in the usury ring. Dante clearly had goals in mind when writing the people he saw in, but considering the pervasive anti-seminitsm sentiments towards jewish people in Italy at the time and the fact that money loaning was a major part of their way of life -- I am not saying they wanted to by any means but when you are banned from any other guild or profession they had to live somehow -- it is interesting you don't explicitly see them being judged in the inferno.

I know it is annoying getting flack for something you said five months ago, but I am enjoying these discussions. Thanks for keeping up with it.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 13 Jan 2012, 22:57

ecks wrote:<Reads 4 previous responses> Yeeeesh, am I the only one that hasn't read the book? :P

Gold melts at ~1000°C and boils at ~2850°C. I didn't look up the boiling point of blood since I don't need to get put on any lists, but lets assume its somewhere in the vicinity of water.
I don't know how burning works in hell since you aren't actually burning (or you wouldn't be there forever) but lets just assume the pain is linear w.r.t to temp and give this one to boiling blood.

But, there is another factor that didn't really come up - density. Assuming standard densities apply in hell, gold is 17.31 g/cm3 in the liquid state, while the avg human is 1.01 g/cm3, and density of blood is apparently 1.06 g/cm3.
This means that you'd be pretty much entirely submerged in the boiling blood, and possibly required to swim (assuming boiling blood inside your lungs can still raise the pain levels, since you can't drown). With the gold though, you'd only need to submerge about 1/17th of your volume to float, so you could probably just wade in gold somewhere above knee level but probably below groin level. This seems like a win for gold.

So it looks like we've got 1/17th the volume at 28.5x the temperature, or almost all of you at somewhere around 100°C with possibly infinite drowning.

I don't feel I can declare a clear cut winner, but at least we know our options.

Just checked on Google, and apparently a lot of people wanted to know.

Human blood boils at 256.2 degrees Fahrenheit/124.6 degrees Celsius/397.7 kelvin. In comparison, water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit/100 degrees Celsius/373.15 kelvin.

You have to remember though, water is a simple molecule while blood is a non-Newtonian fluid.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 13 Jan 2012, 23:06

tak197 wrote:
ecks wrote:<Reads 4 previous responses> Yeeeesh, am I the only one that hasn't read the book? :P

Human blood boils at 256.2 degrees Fahrenheit/124.6 degrees Celsius/397.7 kelvin. In comparison, water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit/100 degrees Celsius/373.15 kelvin.

You have to remember though, water is a simple molecule while blood is a non-Newtonian fluid.

In other words...

http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Jan 2012, 04:26

Is it a problem that I'm in no way surprised that the Internet knows what temperature blood boils at?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Brad

Postby Brad » 14 Jan 2012, 06:30

Science is gross sometimes, Philip. For example, this Monday I am working on cleaning archaeological skelingtons. Different from paleontological ones due to the amount of gross.

Twitter

Flickr

plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 14 Jan 2012, 08:02

tak197 wrote:

So much like custard, it would have be much easier for Jesus to walk on blood.

Jesus was metal.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Brad

Postby Brad » 14 Jan 2012, 09:15

plummeting_sloth wrote:
tak197 wrote:

Jesus was metal.

Nah - then he'd have an increased density and would have sunk.

Twitter

Flickr

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Jan 2012, 09:44

My hat is off to you sir, well played.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mysticman89
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Mysticman89 » 14 Jan 2012, 10:25

Brad wrote:
plummeting_sloth wrote:
tak197 wrote:

Jesus was metal.

Nah - then he'd have an increased density and would have sunk.

Unless he was something like lithium, which is a metal less dense than water.

Granted, lithium+water has its own set of problems, what with the violent fireball reaction and all...
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 14 Jan 2012, 11:09

Okay, quick question for everyone who's seen everything that's been released to this date by now:

Who was shouting at the screen "Use the green fountain!" every time Graham passed it while doing the block and statue puzzle and he was low on health? I certainly did, and his lack of conscientiousness about keeping up his health bothered me for the rest of that episode. Sure you come back from dying rather easily and there's no obvious penalty for it, but it just bothered me that he didn't watch his health bars.

Unless he got sick of pumping those fountains for health. In that case, I understand.
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 14 Jan 2012, 12:08

Yeah. I kinda walked on water into that one, didn't I?

Return to “GPLP”