GPLP Suggestions

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Graham
Super Moderator

GPLP Suggestions

Postby Graham » 21 Jun 2012, 00:17

We've got quite a few ideas, but—as requested—here's a GPLP suggestion thread!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: GPLP Suggestions

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Jun 2012, 13:46

I think I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but my suggestion is:
Alpha Protocol
It got mixed reviews, mostly due to a lot of bugs at launch (although the PC version has a patch that fixes a lot of them), so it falls into the mediocre game category you like to do.
It's a RPG/3rd person shooter, so the combat is interesting and varied enough that it doesn't get too tiresome to watch.
It's interesting and different, and not something everyone is played or is likely to play.

There are only two real downsides I could foresee. While not a long game, it took me about 14 hours to complete on my first playthough. Granted, I was on medium difficulty and doing all of the side missions, so that could be cut down a fair bit. Second is the timed dialogue system. As you might remember from the Unskippable, it doesn't leave a lot of time to think about decisions, so you won't be able to discuss your options for very long.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 21 Jun 2012, 21:44

Jamfalcon wrote:Second is the timed dialogue system. As you might remember from the Unskippable, it doesn't leave a lot of time to think about decisions, so you won't be able to discuss your options for very long.

Which might be for the best, time-wise.

Also, they could bring in Jer to fill in any missed gaps (if he recalls enough of the game).
Mysticman89
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Mysticman89 » 22 Jun 2012, 15:14

It has been mentioned before, and largely dismissed (with good reason), but if you feel feel inclined to do a special episode, a one off episode of "I Wanna Be The Guy" would bound to be bundles of fun (for us, not you >:D ).

Sure it may be 20 minutes of you cursing at the first screen or two (maybe even 3 or 4, but probably not any more than that), but the "WTF?!? That's not even fair!"-ness is inevitably bundles of fun to watch, particularly if you haven't seen it played before.

As for proper GPLP's, I'll have to think. I've definitely seen things that'd be appropriately, but can't remember what off the top of my head.
BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 23 Jun 2012, 16:49

What about Dark Void? That could be a pretty amusing one I reckon.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 23 Jun 2012, 17:02

You guys should play a game on the Commodore! Or a nostalgic game from the 80s or 90s.

That, or Cow Wars.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Mysticman89

Postby Mysticman89 » 23 Jun 2012, 18:43

How is "Brutal Legend" as a game?

That looks completely rediculous, but I've never played and and I didn't hear if it was actually good. If it's not actually that great a game, then it seems like it might be a viable choice. That said, I don't know how different the gameplay is from the GPLP's already done, so that might be an issue.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 Jun 2012, 22:07

A weird game that might work well for this is Odin Sphere. Unfortunately, the visuals, while pretty, might get repetitive after a while. It has the benefit of being pretty fun to play, too.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 24 Jun 2012, 07:29

The remake of Fatal Frame is coming out for the Wii soon. Graham occasionally mentions wanting more reasons to use that system. :) You could have Matt as the special guest host.

Also, they did that great ad for it where instead of showing the game they showed the reactions of two people playing the game. It would be a funny meta GPLP short to do a video of Graham and Paul's reactions to the reactions. I wonder how many steps removed the game can still startle / terrify.
overlordZ
First Video: Unskippable; X-blades

Postby overlordZ » 25 Jun 2012, 18:33

Hay guys, made an account when I saw this because I have an almost perfect game for this called "Deadly Premonition".
D.P. is a weird action/horror game with the most similarities to Resident evil 4/5 and the sandbox of GTA. The story starts off with a grisly murder that just took place in a town called Grenvalle, the FBI send agent Frances York Morgan to investigate what could be behind this.
The weird thing is that this game FAILS horribly on almost every aspect YET I played the entire game and was enjoying myself almost the entire time.

The only downside is that it is a rather long game (15-20 hour with little to no side quests) and the first half-hour give a BAD impression of the rest of the game.
On the plus side the game is 20$ new so it is dirt cheap (if you can find it)

(sorry about the wall o’ text, I just really think this would be great for GPLP)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Jun 2012, 22:55

IIRC they did Deadly Premonition for Unskippable at one point.

Maybe they still have it. I doubt there's much after-market demand.
overlordZ
First Video: Unskippable; X-blades

Postby overlordZ » 26 Jun 2012, 14:11

Ah your right! I don't know how I forgot that.

Assuming that the Unsinkable left a bad impression, the first "level" is a very poor representation of the rest of the game. That is of course , except for the part of him talking about the Tom and Jerry show, that sort of thing happens a lot.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 03 Aug 2012, 06:07

I really quite like the current format and your choice of games, however I wouldn't be posting if didn't have some thoughts of my own, so here goes:

1. Over the top games
I'd love to see you play a game that's completely over the top, so far things have been pretty... conventional.
(In terms of the games being played! You guys are anything but conventional)
Things I'd have in mind would along the lines of Bayonetta or Ninja Blade.

2. Multiplayer games
It might be a bit hard to present (I imagine you guys already do enough editing on a weekly basis...), but I'd love to have a GPLP where you two each played an own character.
Not talking MMOs / bland shooters, but rather creative games like Terraria or Minecraft.
(Basically, I have an idea in my head of you two playing Minecraft and the view switching back and forth between characters.)
What I like so much about the GPLPs (beyond regular LPs) is that you each have a very different view of the game, and I'd love to see that come across in play style as well.

Alternatively, you could hook up a screen capture device and a microphone during a competitive gaming session. Maybe dig up SSBB or a similar brawler and have a special Graham, Paul & Friends Let's Play.

Fully regardless of whether you do anything with the above I really look forward to the next one.
Keep it up!

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Fowl Sorcerous
First Video: max effect

Postby Fowl Sorcerous » 04 Aug 2012, 19:46

I've been mainlining the yakuza games lately. they quite good really but it's this bizarre combination of melodramatic crime fiction, wacky side activities, over the top combat (featuring so much bicycle murder)that might make it suitable for riffing.
Cybele
First Video: A Unskippable video

Postby Cybele » 05 Aug 2012, 04:56

Maybe, since Graham seems to be enjoying kicking people into wells in The Cursed Crusade LP, give Dark Messiah of Might and Magic a shot? The combat in it is really fun.
rerout
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby rerout » 06 Aug 2012, 14:08

One game I keep thinking would be entertaining to watch you guys play is Phantasy Star Universe. Technically an MMO, but it did have a very lengthy offline single player with an interesting, albeit silly at times, story.
Mara Kalat

Postby Mara Kalat » 06 Aug 2012, 23:41

rerout wrote:One game I keep thinking would be entertaining to watch you guys play is Phantasy Star Universe. Technically an MMO, but it did have a very lengthy offline single player with an interesting, albeit silly at times, story.

Jer played through that (in his own time, he mentioned it in the podcasts though).
He was mildly entertained by it, the rest not so much, so I don't think they'll want to get into that.

I personally played it too though, and quite enjoyed it (offline) for what it was.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
athorist

Postby athorist » 07 Sep 2012, 10:18

Has anyone suggested Hydrophobia: Prophecy? It was on sale on Steam a few days ago. I've played enough to know it's terrible (or flawed at best), but is it the right kind of terrible?

Also has a hacking minigame, which might not be so bad if you've played Waveform (or studied Fourier transforms :D) - cos it's basically exactly the same idea.
Skip to the end
teamcharlie
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby teamcharlie » 07 Sep 2012, 20:11

Saints Row: the Third. Granted it would be different in tone from previous G-plops (I can't be the only one who pronounces GPLPs like that) due to the game itself being amazing, but who doesn't want to see a 300 pound silver-skinned man in a bathrobe and curlers beat up old ladies with a giant floppy purple dildo?
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 07 Sep 2012, 21:11

If you can find it, Lost Odyssey.....because its an Odyssey
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 30 Oct 2012, 09:39

Jak and Daxter, because I love Naughty Dog's games. Although I don't know what you use to record these so a PS2 title might not work very well. Prototype or Imfamous would be fun to watch, not sure if open world mission based games like those would work though.
Mara Kalat

Postby Mara Kalat » 31 Oct 2012, 00:35

KiteNeravar wrote:...
Although I don't know what you use to record these so a PS2 title might not work very well.

They did a (very extensive) Legaia 2 Let's Play, as well as a whole month of PS2 games for Unskippables, so I think their recording setup should have no problem with it.

Mara.

breakalane
First Video: unskippable - star ocean 4

Postby breakalane » 07 Nov 2012, 20:52

sonic colors or one of the mario galaxies could be good.
i noticed in the x-man lets play the commentary was great but visually the game was boring because the combat was so repetitive, but with SC and MG the visually variety comes mostly from the level design. plus the levels are fairly short so ya'll could make some good progress. and while the games themselves aren't bad it's friggin mario and sonic, it's not hard to make jokes.
I'll add that I'm suggesting this assuming ya'll don't suck at platforming. you guys are funny but i'd rather not see you drop nto bottomless pits constantly.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 08 Nov 2012, 03:02

How about... X-Blades?
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
toaster_pimp
First Video: 30 seconds or less

Postby toaster_pimp » 09 Nov 2012, 15:04

any movie to videogame. like the buffy the vampire game, or any of the harry potter games... they're short, they're usually kinda fun, and i'm sure there is plenty of material to comment on.

Return to “GPLP”