TTC - Dragon's Maze Prerelease

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Rootbreaker
First Video: Checkpoint 1

Re: TTC - Dragon's Maze Prerelease

Postby Rootbreaker » 13 May 2013, 12:18

Desert is a subtype so that templating would work well with it. You could do protection as "protection from cards named desert," but landwalk needs super types or (more often) subyptes to work.

Artifact Lands have two card types, not any super-types.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 May 2013, 14:15

I also went boros and got Azorius as a secret ally, I ended up going white splash black and doing very well.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 14 May 2013, 06:37

Rootbreaker wrote:Desert is a subtype so that templating would work well with it. You could do protection as "protection from cards named desert," but landwalk needs super types or (more often) subyptes to work.

Artifact Lands have two card types, not any super-types.

Ah, I forgot all about Desert Nomads. In that case Desert as a subtype works a lot better. It's a lot more flavorful too.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 14 May 2013, 11:32

I always find it really odd that you can declare a creature as a blocker, then sacrifice it before the attack occures, and the block still happens. Surely if that creature is no longer there, then the block wont happen and the attack should hit the player?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 14 May 2013, 13:10

iamafish wrote:I always find it really odd that you can declare a creature as a blocker, then sacrifice it before the attack occurs, and the block still happens. Surely if that creature is no longer there, then the block wont happen and the attack should hit the player?

You don't actually sacrifice it before the attack occurs of course.

Imagine it like this: two creatures start to fight and they charge at each other but before the swords actually clash one of the creatures just falls over and dies. The attacker stops for a moment to make sure his opponent is dead and then the attack is over.

The only way for the attacker to barrel through his attacker is if he was already aiming to just basically run through the defender (in other words, with Trample).

I don't know if this way of looking at it works, but basically it's what happens. The creature is blocked and once that happens it can not be undone. They are fighting. If the creature leaves combat while they are fighting the attacker is spent, he is not doing anything else anymore.
Hopefully that helps.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
GNRC_SRNM
First Video: unskippable - blood on the sand

Postby GNRC_SRNM » 15 May 2013, 07:52

Short thing about the Pyrewild Shaman: Your colon-based evaluation was correct, but in this case irrelevant, because if "discard Pyrewild Shaman" was after the colon, it'd still be in the graveyard when damage happens.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 16 May 2013, 10:54

The weird irony about this is that a 'only one creature of that type' has come up in an LRR Video previously.
charl
First Video: First episode of Check Point

Postby charl » 17 May 2013, 06:46

Future trivia suggestion: obscure counter types.

Return to “TapTapConcede”