TTC - Lady Planeswalkers Society

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - Lady Planeswalkers Society

Postby Graham » 20 Jul 2013, 14:47

Our good friend Missie P joins us to talk about the Lady Planeswalker Society, and her local Magic Lady's Night.

Official LPS Facebook Page!
LPS Official Twitter
Tifa's Article from December
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: TTC - Lady Planeswalkers Society

Postby ElFuzzy » 20 Jul 2013, 15:36

Great podcast, but at the end when Graham said there are several chapters I immediately went to Warhammer. Then I had a vision of several Sisters of Battle huddled around a table playing magic, when one yells something about faeries and crushes it.
wizzerd229
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wizzerd229 » 20 Jul 2013, 17:05

ElFuzzy wrote:Great podcast, but at the end when Graham said there are several chapters I immediately went to Warhammer. Then I had a vision of several Sisters of Battle huddled around a table playing magic, when one yells something about faeries and crushes it.

That would be pretty cool. I don't even like Warhammer.
I owe Graham a beer.

Zeke229 on twitch

ask me shit ask.fm/Zeke229

become my steam friend ( i dont multiplayer though ) http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zeke229

Pronouns They, their
Woland

Postby Woland » 20 Jul 2013, 17:09

A note on Homarid's "tide" mechanic: It seems to me to be an incredibly forward-looking mechanic by Wizards (or whoever was making magic in '94) because, think about it, if you were playing a card-based video game, and you had a card that operated with a similar mechanic, it would seem goofy, but totally understandable. I think a lot of the early Magic rules were removed because they were incredibly ahead of their time. The problem was that you were expecting a person to manage the "state" of so many of the cards. If these rules were being interpreted by a neutral computer overlord, it would be so much more...acceptable.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 20 Jul 2013, 19:19

Graham's "beer and drafting" idea, if it ever comes to fruition, will hopefully be named "Draft with a Draft".
Woland

Postby Woland » 20 Jul 2013, 19:29

Asthanius wrote:Graham's "beer and drafting" idea, if it ever comes to fruition, will hopefully be named "Draft with a Draft".

Draft, Draft, Concede.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Jul 2013, 20:50

Draft Draft Draft, draaa I love you man!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 20 Jul 2013, 22:53

For some of those old cards that have weird counter things you clearly need the counters that came with the Armada comics. +1/+2 counter? Done!
365 Zines a Year: Zine and mini-comic reviews.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 21 Jul 2013, 07:08

I can't help but always be really annoyed by Kathleen's card evaluations. Cards are not as bad as you think they are and i feel you should appreciate the history more. I would play brass claw orcs in draft today (not first pick) and I would have definitely played them in empires in draft. Only very recently have they started giving red something like a 3/2 or a 3/3 for 3 without a drawback. Today it would just have "can't block" or "attacks each turn" like blood rock cyclops. The point is you can never evaluate cards in a vacuum and have to judge them based on the strategies available. But, you are completely right on the Homarid. He always sucked.

And if your looking for real counter shenanigans look at Ebon Praetor or Frankenstein's Monster and imagine trying to figure out how big they are.
Last edited by Pigmy Wurm on 21 Jul 2013, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 21 Jul 2013, 07:09

Nice to see Missy in a non-acting role. This is the first time that that has happened that I am aware of.

It's also nice that she has the talent of "being entertaining while talking about anything", maybe it has to do with being an actress.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 21 Jul 2013, 10:12

Message from my wife: "Thank you for doing this week's podcast!"

I'm so glad you got Missy to come on and talk about the very interesting topic of women in Magic with an emphasis on the Lady Planeswalker's Society playgroup.

I've always thought it was weird and wrong that Magic is so dominated by men. I can't help but think of Pokemon, how when that game came out it was almost entirely played by boys, and, seeing this, the company decided to go after female players; it worked, and today Pokemon has even gender representation among its players (which I'm sure was great for business, essentially doubling their customer base).

When I see all the photos from Comicon this week, I notice there's just as many girls there as boys. So I can't help but always wonder why we don't have more women players. Things like this week's podcast, and sharing things like The Lady Planeswalkers Society is surely a positive move towards welcoming new female players.

I've been sharing this week's podcast, as well as the links you provided, on the facebook pages for my LGS. Great stuff.

Also, Fallen Empires! Oy! WHat a stinker of a set! When I was in high school, Revised was the core set and then Fallen Empires came out. My dad offered me a whole box of Magic cards as a birthday present. We went into the store and asked for one box of revised, and the guy behind the counter said, "You know, you can get TWO boxes of Fallen Empires for the SAME PRICE!" I was new to the game, had no idea what Fallen Empires was or what was in it, so I said SURE! I was sooooo disapointed. Afterwards, I shyly went back into the store and asked why i didn't get a single Shiven Dragon in any of my packs, and the laughed so hard at me. Ah, memories.
Jollyskull
First Video: 1337

Postby Jollyskull » 21 Jul 2013, 15:40

Okay I will be commenting in bullet points.

-The Thrull was designed for damage on the stack. Meaning you blocked with it and some one did damage you could guarantee your creature to survive

-Homarid is always fun cause strength grows and wains which is always fun. Plus I made homarid way back in the day.

-I missed the old fungus that did weird stuff with spore counters.

-Oh right Basal thrull which you could use as a mana battery.

-Yeah, I need to get you packs that were ment to be drafted cause some then were not meant to be.

-I really like the idea of lady planeswalkers and sadly where I am not enough Woman play magic, my friend being an exception. Plus at my local store the Tournament Organizer tries as hard as he can not make sure girls are not scared off.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 21 Jul 2013, 17:52

Jollyskull wrote:The Thrull was designed for damage on the stack.

I have such a difficult time imagining this day and age. Even though I FREAKING DEALT WITH IT when I played the Shandalar game. You could respond to taking damage and stuff and that was how you prevented damage. It actually generated "damage cards" for you to interact with. Still, the idea that damage goes on the stack is so... alien.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 23 Jul 2013, 11:38

Wow, so on the MTG Salvation forum this week's TapTapConcede podcast started quite a discussion. Looks like many people in the thread are responding without having listened to the podcast, but a lot of people obviously did and have positive things to contribute to the discussion. Neat stuff.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=525128
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 25 Jul 2013, 11:35

Going along with the idea of Thrulls designed for damage on the stack (I miss stacking damage :(), Interrupts were different than instants when that card was printed. Interrupts, essentially, were faster than instants. You could only respond to an interrupt (e.g., Counterspell) with another interrupt (e.g., Red Elemental Blast). If someone cast an interrupt then it would resolve before any other spells in the batch (yes batch, not stack) unless someone responded with another interrupt. The idea being a Thrull could be used to pump something like a Looming Shade before another player could respond. Cards like Power Sink used to be substantially more powerful as Interrupts. They worked a bit like Split Second.

Thank goodness for Sixth Edition rules.

Kinda sorta feels like you guys should have a Magic historian on hand for cracking some of these earlier packs.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)

Return to “TapTapConcede”