TTC: GP Calgary

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC: GP Calgary

Postby Graham » 17 Aug 2013, 15:30

Join Graham, Kathleen, Paul and Cam as they talk about their experience at GP Calgary.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: TTC: GP Calgary

Postby Professor STAFF » 17 Aug 2013, 15:41

I really like the synergy of TTC talking about something that got some attention in the previous Friday Nights, in this case GP Calgary.

You guys do a great job making GP's seem like a not-awful place. There's a GP headed to my neck of the woods soon, maybe I'll go try some side events.

It was fun having Cam on as well. I think TapTapConcede does well when the dynamic gets mixed up a bit, just for flavor. Jer, Alex, Serge, Missy and now Cam, have all been great guests. Maybe it keeps the rest of you on your toes, who knows?

You guys should start a check list of all the expansions you've still not cracked packs from on TTC. It would be fun to try and get a pack from every expansion, except the really, really old ones for obvious financial reasons (although you've done Revised and The Dark...so how hard could getting a pack of Antiquities or Legends be? What's that you say? HOW MUCH?)

Also, you should keep a TTC leader board of most valuable card gotten from the crack-a-packs. It might be humorously depressing.

Great stuff. Keep 'em coming!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Aug 2013, 15:41

I'll just throw my rules hat on for a second:

You can splice multiple different splice cards onto an arcane spell, but not the same card multiple times.
If they sacrificed a creature with Cage of Hands on it as part of the cost of something (like Alter's Reap, or Barrage of Expendibles) you wouldn't be able to return the cage in response, as it would die as a state based action before you could respond.

Ok, hat off.

I might have missed it, but I assume from you avoiding talking about filming Friday Nights that you will be doing a Loading Time or something on it?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 17 Aug 2013, 15:46

Might be a little mean but when Graham paused after saying James decided that he would, my mind immediately blurted, "huff a dong!"
TheHokeyPokey
First Video: Unskippable pilot

Postby TheHokeyPokey » 17 Aug 2013, 20:08

I would pick Kabuto Moth or Cage of Hands if I am going samurai or white weenie in general, or Reach Through Mists if I am going Dampen Thought. If I already have a Devouring Greed, I'd take the red Zubera.

In a game, you are allowed to reveal to other players any secret information you know. I would think that would be allowed during the drafting portion as well, so if you want to announce what color you're in I think you can.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Aug 2013, 21:09

korvys wrote:I might have missed it, but I assume from you avoiding talking about filming Friday Nights that you will be doing a Loading Time or something on it?

I think they might be waiting until the LRRcast to talk about it, particularly since they seemed uncertain of whether the second episode or this podcast would be released first.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
zombub
First Video: Friday Nights Commander one

Postby zombub » 17 Aug 2013, 22:06

Foil Elvish Mystics are in big demand for a few reasons; highlander, EDH, cube or just as an investment if they permanently replace Llanowar Elves. Personally I collect elves so I'm trying to get the pimpiest ones I can, I just bought 2 Japanese foils off eBay for like $18 each because I'm crazy and because elves
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 18 Aug 2013, 03:34

I'm pretty sure Moth was the right pick. Cage is the second-best card in the pack, which is kind of awkward, since it might put the person to your left in white too. All other cards are worse.

I remember liking Blood Rites a lot more than I should. I'd pick it third pick or so, when it would easily have wheeled. It was quite playable, but not the bomb I thought it was. (actually used to be better because of the 'damage on the stack' thing)
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Aug 2013, 12:29

Suggestion for future podcasts:

Sit Kathleen across from Graham in the "james" or in this case Cam seat. That way she look at the dreamyness that is Graham and yet she wont be turning away from the mic to do so.

Turn up Cams Microphone, he has a very soft voice which is fine but its always hard to hear him. This goes for all appearances of Mr Lauder.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Therberus
First Video: LRR on the escapist

Postby Therberus » 19 Aug 2013, 07:39

Hi guys, there seems to be a problem with the audio download ? The link for it seems to be broken :(

(By the way, love the show(s) and every thing you guys do !)
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 19 Aug 2013, 10:48

korvys wrote:I'll just throw my rules hat on for a second:

You can splice multiple different splice cards onto an arcane spell, but not the same card multiple times.

Yeah, besides the rules explicitly stating that, that's how I read it: "As you cast an Arcane spell" to me says that this is basically something you do as you reveal the card, not before or after.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
IudexFatarum
First Video: Don't remember

Postby IudexFatarum » 21 Aug 2013, 10:34

To reference the splice question,
702.46b [...] You can’t splice any one card onto the same spell more than
once. If you’re splicing more than one card onto a spell, reveal them all at once and choose the order in which their instructions will be followed. [...]
Seems WotC thought of that and said no.
I'm a rules lawyer at heart so much i registered just to comment.
Draygarth
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Draygarth » 21 Aug 2013, 17:22

I can hear Cam perfectly and I'm in a room with an air conditioner. Most of the time I'm playing a game at the same time. People must be doing construction work or something while they listen to you guys :P

Anyway, great podcast.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 21 Aug 2013, 18:10

IudexFatarum wrote:To reference the splice question,
702.46b [...] You can’t splice any one card onto the same spell more than
once. If you’re splicing more than one card onto a spell, reveal them all at once and choose the order in which their instructions will be followed. [...]
Seems WotC thought of that and said no.
I'm a rules lawyer at heart so much i registered just to comment.

Welcome to the forum! There's a few rules lawyers around these parts, always good to have more. Unfortunately, I beat you to it (see the 3rd comment) :P. I hope you stick around, though :).
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
David_shea_306
First Video: tap tap concede

Postby David_shea_306 » 26 Aug 2013, 21:08

Love the show, if you have a dollaramma around, they sometimes have these junk card packs that rarely have a rare, but sometimes there is some funny cards, and usable cards. Anyways it would be cool to see one of those opened on a future episode. Thnx
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 27 Aug 2013, 08:04

David_shea_306 wrote:Love the show, if you have a dollaramma around, they sometimes have these junk card packs that rarely have a rare, but sometimes there is some funny cards, and usable cards. Anyways it would be cool to see one of those opened on a future episode. Thnx

Actually, they have done that in the past. I can't think of which episode though. Hopefully someone will take it upon themselves to update the LRRcast entries on the wiki... ;)
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Matt0Wolfy0Hegi
First Video: "Its Magic"

Postby Matt0Wolfy0Hegi » 03 Sep 2013, 12:20

You guys have got me deserately wanting to go to a GP, unfortunately, as an englishman, we have very few GP's in the country, either London, Cardiff (which isn't even this country) and possibly one in Dublin (even less this country) and we have a similar problem with the PTQ's. I think there are about three in England each year, plus Wales and Ireland have a couple each.

I don't expect anyone to do anything about it, I just like the hollow warm glow of pretend pity....

Also, the Crack a Pack section is a fantastic idea, but done brilliantly by yourselves every podcast, keeping it amusing, informative and entertaining whilst basically sitting there reading to us. I am afraid I shall now have to squeal like a fangirl *Squee*......that's embarrassing, I won't do that again. I apologise
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 04 Sep 2013, 04:24

The full 2014 Grand Prix schedule will be announced later this week according to Helene Bergeot (Director of Organized Play) so you can see where there are GP's, and for the first time it is the whole year that is being uploaded at once
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase

Return to “TapTapConcede”