TTC - BNG Spoilers Round 1

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - BNG Spoilers Round 1

Postby Graham » 23 Jan 2014, 00:48

The crew talks about their favourite Born of the Gods spoilers thus far.
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: TTC - BNG Spoilers Round 1

Postby Jimor » 23 Jan 2014, 02:30

Just have to say that for the crack-a-pack, Fallen Empires was one of the expansions during my active MTG days. I even used those Icatian Javelineers in a weak attempt to build a direct damage deck.
Dothar Vahlin
First Video: it's Magic? I think

Postby Dothar Vahlin » 23 Jan 2014, 03:02

When was this recorded? Also: Which site(s) do you use for this? Because on dailymtg.com I am able to find Phenax but I can't seem to find the white card in the scry 2 cycle you are talking about.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 23 Jan 2014, 03:50

This was recorded before Phenax was spoiled, but I think they're using MTG salvation (maybe) which has more of the spoiled cards that Daily MTG, for some reason.

Also, in terms of flavour, only the gods seem to be particularly flavourful at the moment, although maybe they're just being a little more obscure or I just haven't done enough research yet (I will when the full set comes out).

As far as I can tell, Ephara is just straight Athena. The goddess of victory would be Nike, who is often associated with Athena, but it technically a different goddess.

Karametra is Demeter.

Mogis is probably Ares, although it'll be interesting to see what the Boros god is, because that could potentially be Ares as well, in which case Mogis could be something else, but I expect the Boros god will be Apollo.

Phenax is an interesting one. The Greek god of Deception is Dolos, who is quite obscure. There is also a minor God called Thenatos, who was the god of death, and Phenax's ability to put things into the graveyard might well invoke that.

As mentioned in the Podcast, Xenagos is clearly Dionysus or Bacchus, although seems more malevolent that the Greek god of wine ever really was. His ascension to godhood also invokes Heracles, although the comparison stops there.

There are technically 12 Olympian gods, although the exact list varies slightly between whether Hestia or Dionysus count. Hades is not included because he resides in the underworld, which gives 14 names:
Zeus = Heliod W
Hera = ??
Poseidon = Thassa U
Hades = Erebos B
Demeter = Karametra GW
Athena = Ephara WU
Apollo = ??
Artemis = Nylea G
Ares = Mogis(?) RB
Aphrodite = ??
Hephaestus = Purphoros R
Hermes = ??
Hestia = ??
Dionysus = Xenagos RG

plus Dolos(?) = Phenax UB
and Nike, if the goddess of victory thing Ash was saying is correct.

Leaving us with GB UG, BW, RW and RU, as I said, Apollo may be RW, Nike might be UG, other than that, I have very little idea. They may not even use all the Olympians if the gods don't really fit into the flavour for each guild, as they've already done with Dolos(?) and apparently Nike.

We'll have to wait and see, won't we!
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Jan 2014, 07:21

PHENAX!!! DAT CARD!! GET IN MAH DECK! God forbid I get a Consuming Aberration online when Phenax hits the field. I might chuck out my memory adept for him.

Also, any word on that deck list from Surge?
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 23 Jan 2014, 17:30

I'm think, iamafish, that the gods aren't supposed to be any Greek gods, but rather take aspects of them that relate to the part of the colour pie that the Theros god is from.

For example, Mogis is B/R, and is definitely not worshipped by the R/W soldiers, as he would if he were a straight port of Ares. But he does embody the darker aspects of Ares, and so is the God of Slaughter.

There are some very close analogues (as you've listed), which leads me to some interesting thoughts about the way the Greeks divided things up for the gods to be in charge of, and how WotC/Richard Garfield devided things up for the colours to represent, and if that reflects some aspect of human nature that makes us want to divide things in a certain way.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 24 Jan 2014, 01:23

I agree that it's not always a straight up comparison, but actually the majority of them are. At least 7 of the 10 we currently have are directly equal to a well known Greek god.

Obviously WotC couldn't just straight up copy all the gods because they don't exactly work for all the colour combinations, but it looks like were happy to just swap the name and some of the details out and keep the basic theme of the gods in question when it worked.

To your last point, this is true, although it's interesting that of the 5 main Theros gods, Nylea and Perphoros represent gods that are relatively low on the greek hierarchy, which indicate some differences.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 24 Jan 2014, 10:17

Graham, noooo! Ephara can't draw you multiple cards, because the trigger is just "at the beginning of each upkeep." You only get one trigger, with the condition of whether or not a creature entered the battlefield under your control last turn. Still, pretty cool.

I like how these minor gods seem more "build-around" ish than the 5 major gods. I mean, you could put pretty much any of the major gods in almost any deck of their color and they'd be handy. I've splashed a color for a god in drafts. These major gods seem a bit more like you have to build around them, and then they make a powerful deck. I like that.
zombub
First Video: Friday Nights Commander one

Postby zombub » 25 Jan 2014, 07:28

I was playing MoJhoSto once and got a Worldfire off Jhoira when I was way behind, then my opponent played his land, Momired for 1 and got Icatian Javelineers >_>
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 25 Jan 2014, 07:31

Lancer wrote:Graham, noooo! Ephara can't draw you multiple cards, because the trigger is just "at the beginning of each upkeep." You only get one trigger, with the condition of whether or not a creature entered the battlefield under your control last turn. Still, pretty cool.

although presumably you still get your draw-step, so if you flash a creature in on your opponent's turn, you then draw 2 at the start of the next turn?

My Twitter

Return to “TapTapConcede”