TTC - BNG Impressions & Storytime

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - BNG Impressions & Storytime

Postby Graham » 21 Feb 2014, 14:24

Graham & James are joined by Alex & Serge for discussion of BNG limited, and some amusing and bizarre corner-case stories.
TheHokeyPokey
First Video: Unskippable pilot

Re: TTC - BNG Impressions & Storytime

Postby TheHokeyPokey » 21 Feb 2014, 15:42

Dread Charge is your rare.

In my estimation, Opalescence and the gods' interaction depends on what order they came into play. If the Opalescence came into play first, then the god's text applies. If the god came into play first, then Opalescence applies. If they both come into play off Warp World, everyone loses.

You can target your Pain Seer with your own Maze of Ith if you want. It targets any attacking creature.
Jollyskull
First Video: 1337

Postby Jollyskull » 21 Feb 2014, 17:31

Hey graham you messed up the opening that is temple of mystery Kruphix's temple you want Ephara's temple which looks like The temple at athens.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 21 Feb 2014, 20:18

Serge is incorrect. The god's abilities are Static Abilities, and will see that their devotion is too low, even during the resolution of an ability like Triad of the Fates', and will fall out of combat. Falling out of combat is part of the combat rules that say you remove a creature from combat if it stops being a creature, and not a state-based action.

State based actions only cover a particular set of things like losing when at 0, enchantments falling off of protection from X things, creatures dying from having 0 toughness, or toughness less than damage taken, and some other stuff.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 22 Feb 2014, 00:32

There seems to be something wrong with the video. It starts at 34:40 in the middle of conversation. Also, it seems to mess up my windows clock by 34 minutes.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 22 Feb 2014, 01:05

Korvys: I popped in to say just that. State-based actions don't have anything to do with it. It's a continuous effect.
Full Throttle Arcana
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Full Throttle Arcana » 22 Feb 2014, 03:22

Does anyone have a link for the 5 Loyal Pegasi video Graham mentioned towards the end?
I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 22 Feb 2014, 07:32

I can never get a handle on the cards that set a creature's power and toughness to a specific value.

For me it is mostly the mimics, because Eventide was big when I got back into magic, so I get a lot of use out of the Battlegate Mimics. But since it says they "become a 4/2 until end of turn" I still don't know if putting enchantments or instant buffs on them that turn actually adds to that, or if that overwrites everything.
Jollyskull
First Video: 1337

Postby Jollyskull » 22 Feb 2014, 11:40

Mimics if i remember correctly override other things that set power and toughness but if you have something like giant growth on it it will not override that because it modifies the power and toughness. It gets the ability that this creature has +?/+? .

So it readjust to appropriate trait then the modify effect counts.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 22 Feb 2014, 12:14

The Eventide Mimics have characteristic-defining abilities that apply before abilities that set P/T, so if you've got a Nightsky Mimic and a Mirror Entity, and you cast Gift of Orzhova targeting the Nightsky Mimic, then activate Mirror Entity's ability (X=5) after Gift resolves, then Nightsky Mimic gains flying and lifelink (Layer 6), then its P/T is set to 4/4 (7a) and then set instead to 5/5 by the Mirror Entity (7b), then it gets +1/+1 (7c), and ends up being a 6/6 with flying and lifelink.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Feb 2014, 16:33

"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Bratmon
First Video: Ways to make money

Postby Bratmon » 22 Feb 2014, 22:23

I actually really like this discussion of weird corner cases.

Do you know of any other place where I can just read/watch about weird interations like those?
Full Throttle Arcana
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Full Throttle Arcana » 23 Feb 2014, 12:39

Is this the draft video you were talking about Graham?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5tx0T1yLI
I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 23 Feb 2014, 19:59

That was seven minutes of sheer hilarity.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Feb 2014, 22:03

madAlric wrote:The Eventide Mimics have characteristic-defining abilities that apply before abilities that set P/T, so if you've got a Nightsky Mimic and a Mirror Entity, and you cast Gift of Orzhova targeting the Nightsky Mimic, then activate Mirror Entity's ability (X=5) after Gift resolves, then Nightsky Mimic gains flying and lifelink (Layer 6), then its P/T is set to 4/4 (7a) and then set instead to 5/5 by the Mirror Entity (7b), then it gets +1/+1 (7c), and ends up being a 6/6 with flying and lifelink.

Nightsky Mimic's ability isn't a characteristic-defining ability... it's a triggered ability, which that sets its power and toughness. Which is the same thing as Mirror Entity (both 7b), so which one would apply would depend on timestamps... in the order you've quoted it, where you cast the Gift, and then later activate Mirror Entity, then it would go down as you say, but if you activated Mirror Entity first, then cast the Gift, then the Mimic's ability would override the Mirror Entity, and set its P/T to 4/4 (plus 1 from the gift, making its final stats 5/5).

[edit]
Re: the Perplexing Chimera anecdotes... as the rules guy for my LGS, I got pretty intimately aware with this card. Mostly because there's this guy in our group who is most likely to play straight-up goofy stuff (he's been known to emulate some of the better LRR wacky-drafts, usually based on the Hat Draft, doing an Architecture Draft in RTR block and and a Beard Draft in Theros)... he opened Perplexing Chimera (and ran it, naturally) in three separate prerelease events. So many rules calls...

Relevant rules minutia I learned on prere weekend: if a creature changes controller mid-combat, it will be removed from combat. So keep that in mind if you exchange your Perplexing Chimera which is currently attacking for a combat trick.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 11 Aug 2014, 09:04

Idea: Corner case cube.

Return to “TapTapConcede”