TTC - The Cubelet

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Re: TTC - The Cubelet

Postby Jenelmo » 01 May 2014, 23:54

You do know that the thing about using cards face down as lands is a general rule in Cube (non Draft variants) that has existed for years and people are use to this and it would be confusing to change it now
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 02 May 2014, 15:54

"Cubelet" hasn't existed for years, so I'm just taking what I consider to be an opportunity to rethink things. I actually don't play Cube, but I was attracted to this Cubelet. I just think the five-color lands thing loses a bit of the core Magic gameplay (the color pie) and would like to find a way to maintain color pie integrity.

If it confuses others, well then that's my bad, and they don't have to play with my cubelet. I'm not changing the rules that all the rest of the world must abide by; I have no authority to do so.

I'm just thinkin...
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 03 May 2014, 00:12

I kinda like that alternate land rule. I'll see if my LGS is willing to try it with our Mental mass.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 05 May 2014, 02:32

sounds fun. What are the commanders rules? especially regarding colourless things?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 07 May 2014, 04:58

Yeah, the alternate land thing is pretty cool. It does take an aspect out of the game, which isn't perfect, but I think as a format it works really well.

I'd like to build my own cubelet actually. Seems like a lot of fun.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
WP&P

Postby WP&P » 07 May 2014, 15:52

I hadn't thought about the impact of artifacts/colorless, but maybe the rule could be that they are a sort of "wild" card, able to fetch up any basic. That would help with color fixing.
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
rayotus

Postby rayotus » 13 May 2014, 19:18

Well, worrying about all-colored lands "taking an aspect out of the game" is probably pointless. The cubelet already removes milling, doesn't play tutors or artifacts, etc. so it's clearly a custom draft experience anyway. Since it's that artificial, all that matters is that it's fun and still mostly feels like Magic. On that score, success! As mentioned by several above, choosing which cards to play as lands adds a strategy in place of the way lands usually work - also it keeps the stack smaller (more mobile/fewer sleeves to buy).
SilverSwag
First Video: Exclusive Born of the Gods Spoiler Card

Postby SilverSwag » 11 Mar 2015, 15:14

I've just started making my own Cubelet, but with a theme that bounces, sacrifices, and destroys land that can be reused to make you think extra hard about what to make into a land.

Return to “TapTapConcede”