TTC - The New Format

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - The New Format

Postby Graham » 09 May 2014, 00:21

The crew talks their first JBT draft, and answer some of your questions about the new set!
Thestinkyone
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: TTC - The New Format

Postby Thestinkyone » 09 May 2014, 04:57

From what i here, the reason they don't have pharika give the controller the snake all the time is this. You block with a snake token, kill there creature, then make a new snake off the creature you just killed.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 09 May 2014, 09:40

There is in fact a red centaur in Theros block (well, red green), our old friend Fanatic of Xenagos.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 09 May 2014, 11:54

Regarding the interaction between miracle and Keranos:

From the Comprehensive Rules:

702.93a Miracle is a static ability linked to a triggered ability (see rule 603.10). "Miracle [cost]" means "You may reveal this card from your hand as you draw it if it's the first card you've drawn this turn. When you reveal this card this way, you may cast it by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost.

From Keranos:
Reveal the first card you draw on each of your turns. Whenever you reveal a land card this way, draw a card. Whenever you reveal a nonland card this way, Keranos deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

You will always reveal the first card you draw due to Keranos. However, you will also have the "option" to reveal it in order to have the option to play it for it's miracle cost. Once you've drawn the card (revealing it in the process), the triggered ability from Keranos (either dealing damage or drawing a card) is put on the stack.

I'm not a judge, so I'm not sure what the official ruling would be, but I'm pretty sure if you revealed a miracle card off of Keranos's ability, it'd be assumed that you're revealing it for miracle as well. It would also be clear you revealed it for miracle on account of:
702.93b "If a player chooses to reveal a card using its miracle ability, he or she plays with that card revealed until that card leaves his or her hand, that ability resolves, or that ability otherwise leaves the stack.")

That is, the fact you kept the card visible after drawing it would indicate you've revealed it for miracle.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 09 May 2014, 14:48

Firbozz -- I disagree. The wording on Miracle is "when you reveal this card this way." If you reveal the card for another reason, it doesn't automatically trigger Miracle.

For instance, let's say you use up all your land during your upkeep for some reason. You reach your draw step, and draw a card. Keranos' ability activates, and you must reveal that card. However, since you're tapped out, you cannot use your Miracle ability, even though you've revealed the card to your opponent for Keranos.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
David_shea_306
First Video: tap tap concede

Postby David_shea_306 » 09 May 2014, 19:35

I also wish they had printed a legendary Minotaur or centaur but what would have been epic is a 5 colour god!!!! To lead the other gods in a godly commander deck!! Maybe next episode you could mention this and have people make there own 5 colour god and share them. Then you could discuss your favourites. Also a name drop would make me pretty happy lol. Thnx
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 10 May 2014, 04:10

Miracle is a triggered ability that goes on the stack during your draw step. When you see the card, you can reveal it, then put its trigger on the stack. After the miracle trigger's been placed on the stack, you can decide whether to play the card or not when the ability resolves. The interesting thing here is that you need to make the decision before you draw cards to effects like Howling Mine, as those are also triggers that use the stack.

If you draw a miracle card as the first card on someone else's turn to a "Draw X" effect (Otherworld Atlas, I guess?), you should reveal the card, leave the card revealed, finish drawing your cards, then put the Miracle trigger on the stack.

Keranos ONLY changes the rules for drawing cards on your turn. You always reveal the first card you draw, whether for Miracle or not, or even whether it's during your draw step (I'm looking at you Bloodgift Demon). If the card is nonland, a 'bolt' trigger goes on the stack. If it's a Miracle card, you can stack the miracle and Keranos triggers however, as the same event triggered both abilities.

Return to “TapTapConcede”