TTC - Jer Talks Legacy

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - Jer Talks Legacy

Postby Graham » 29 May 2014, 02:34

Jer comes back on the show to talk about his Legacy deck, and Legacy in general.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Re: TTC - Jer Talks Legacy

Postby BenMarc » 30 May 2014, 12:52

Infernal Tutor is the tutor you're thinking of, Jer.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 30 May 2014, 13:45

I have 3 Legacy decks myself, and yeah, it's a long process getting the decks.

I built Esper Stoneblade, Dark Maverick, and All Spells.

My first deck was Esper Stoneblade, which I decided to build after Jace and Stoneforge got the axe in Standard. I didn't want to trade away my Jaces and Stoneforges, because I really enjoyed playing with them, and knew they were both good in Legacy, so I held onto them, and slowly worked toward getting my playset of Force of Wills, my dual lands, my fetch lands, etc.., and after about 6 months, I had the deck built.

The way the deck plays is like a control deck with a proactive option. Typically you want to sit back and draw the game out to the later stages, using Thoughtseize, Swords to Plowshares, Spell Pierce, Force of Will, and Snapcaster Mages to do so. Once I get to the late game, I can win with either a Stoneforge Mystic fueled Batterskull, a True-Name Nemesis equipped with Umezawa's Jitte, or Jace, the Mind Sculptor. The deck is something of a swiss army knife, with no bad matchups, since, with proper sideboarding, and proper play, it can beat just about anything in the field.

After I built the deck, I calculated the deck value, and realized I had made a profit of nearly 1000 USD in card value increases, which I decided allowed me to justify another deck.

The second deck I decided to build was Maverick. I chose the deck because it was a pretty cheap deck to build.

Maverick plays a toolbox hatebears style game, it uses Deathrite Shaman and Noble Hierach to fuel out a turn 2 Knight of the Reliquary, or it uses a turn 1 Mother of Runes to keep my board alive. Knight of the Reliquary can do anythingg once it's online, it can search up Wastelands, Horizon Canopy, Gaea's Cradle, Bojuka Bog, Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage, or even just Fetch Lands to crack for Duals to simply feed lands into the graveyard to make the Knight bigger. It typically wins through Thalia/Gaddock Teeg beats that are tying down my opponents spells, a 20/20 Marit Lage, or a big Knight of the Reliquary busting through with Mother of Runes.

The deck isn't very well known, and always has lines of play to answer a current board state. The deck is weak against cards like Terminus and Supreme Verdict, but in metagames that don't feature Miracles, it's very strong, and it can sideboard to beat Miracles. The best thing about it is I always have lines of play that can catch an unsuspecting opponent off guard, thanks to Green Sun's Zenith, Knight of the Reliquary, and Crop Rotation.

Well, I built that deck at an opportune time, I bought my Gaea's Cradle the week before the Legend Rule change, and I bought my Wastelands at 35 dollars each, again, I saw a profit in my deck building, so I went for another, but, since I hadn't been cashing in my decks, I just wanted something cheap.

So, I built All Spells, which is a very budget friendly Legacy deck. The most expensive cards are only 10-15 dollars, and it has a scary consistent turn 1 win rate. (I can win on turn 1 about 70% of the time)

The issue with it is, opponent will hate you for playing it, it can mull into oblivion and just lose, and it is very weak against any turn 1 discard, Force of Will, and Surgical Extraction. I mainly built it to have a combo deck lying around to show people.

The deck wins by having 4 mana, and either a Balustrade Spy, or and Undercity Informer. This is quite easy to do on turn one, since every card in the deck is either a mana source, or a combo piece.

An ideal turn one goes like this:
Hand: Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Balustrade Spy, Simian Spirit Guide, Street Wraith, Pact of Negation

- Play the Lotus Petal, crack it for B.
- Dark Ritual to BBB.
- Cabal Ritual to BBBB
- Cast Balustrade Spy, target myself with the ability.
--- I mill until I hit a land, but I have no lands in my deck, so my entire library is milled away. In the process, 4 Narcomoebas are milled (I only need 3, so 1 can be in my opening hand as a dead card.)
NOTE: I have a single Cabal Therapy, and a single Bridge from Below, so if I have a Dread Return, or one of the combo creatures stuck in hand, I can make myself discard it at this time. I'm running Chrome Mox, so running cards like this isn't bad in my opening hand, since it can just serve as imprint fodder for the Chrome Mox. My combo only requires 4 cards, and there's a lot of redundancy in each of those 4 cards.

- At this point, I have at least 3 Narcomoebas in play, and Dread Return in my graveyard. I sacrifice 3 Narcomoebas to flashback Dread Return, targeting an Angel of Glory's Rise in my graveyard.
- When the Angel comes into play, I get to return all Humans from my graveyard to play. Among them is an Azami, Lady of Scrolls, and a Laboratory Maniac.
- Due to the way Azami's ability is worded, I may use the ability immediately, regardless of summoning sickness. I tap either Azami or Laboratory Maniac (both being Wizards) to draw a card. When I attempt to draw with an empty library, I win the game.

...and those are my 3 Legacy decks. I built one for each major archetype: 1 control deck, 1 aggro deck, and 1 combo deck.

The thing I love about Legacy is how many viable decks there are. You can go to a major Legacy event and never face the same deck twice. There are over 30 viable decks that can reasonably expect to win a tournament.

If you can reasonably begin to work toward owning a Legacy deck, I highly recommend it. If you can't, but know of a Legacy scene in your area, I still recommend talking to the Legacy players about the format. Every Legacy player is very passionate about the format, and I helped grow my local Legacy scene from barely 8 players to regularly pulling over 20. The reason we were able to was we all were willing to loan out extra deck to players who were interested, and once they tried Legacy, they were hooked.

It's easily the most fun and diverse format in the game. I just wish the cost wasn't so prohibitive to newer players that would be interested in breaking into the format.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 15 Jun 2014, 03:17

Somehow, the week this podcast came out my FLGS announced a 10 proxy legacy league will be starting and Card Kingdom had a 10% off coupon :)

On an unrelated note, my modern merfolk deck is now a legacy deck.

Return to “TapTapConcede”