TTC - BNG Flavour & Origins

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - BNG Flavour & Origins

Postby Graham » 01 Jun 2014, 20:24

Graham follows up his Theros flavour episode with the real-world Greek origins of cards in Born of the Gods.
David_shea_306
First Video: tap tap concede

Re: TTC - BNG Flavour & Origins

Postby David_shea_306 » 01 Jun 2014, 21:53

Why was there no 5 colour God this would have been much better than chromanticor and made for a sweet commander. Packed with all the gods, weapons and followers just for fun. I'd like to see some ideas on what people think his/her name would be and what it would do. Could this be a discussion for a future episode?
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 02 Jun 2014, 01:51

I can't entirely agree with Graham about that Phenax does not straightly depicts any of the greek gods. What about Hermes? He is a god of thieves and as far as I far as I remember he was described as a trickster in some myths. He was also pictured with small wings attached to his head (and/or feet) and so is Phenax on the card. There was even an article about the greek gods and their Magic color identity in which Hermes was assigned to blue and black. Here's the link to the article f anyone's interested.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1503

Anyway, I have really enjoyed the podcast and I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'm glad to see that Graham is back to TTC after this short break.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Jun 2014, 02:30

Great podcast. I love greek mythology and really need to read up on it one of these days. Haven't found a good resource for it yet, though.

I don't think it's Elspeth on Swordwise Centaur though, because I think she became a planeswalker later in life and wasn't born on Theros.

The title "Champion of the Sun" was bestowed to many different heroes on Theros, always by Heliod. My guess is this is a past (or even future) Champion, though I could be wrong.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Jivan Drungilas
First Video: Bad News

Postby Jivan Drungilas » 02 Jun 2014, 02:56

Pretty sure Elspeth was born on another plane, I think Swordwise Centaur's flavour text refers to the same hero that killed the stone giant on the art for Ordeal of Nylea.
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 02 Jun 2014, 06:18

Elspeth's first planeswalk was at a young age and Theros is where she got Purphoros' sword from.

The following article doesn't really expand on it, maybe some books do?
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/A ... eature/301

Also: Blah blah blah wiki: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Elspeth_Tirel
I sure enjoy watching LRR!

I wouldn't want to meet them though. I'm very allergic to cats and fun.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 02 Jun 2014, 06:50

RedNightmare wrote:Great podcast. I love greek mythology and really need to read up on it one of these days. Haven't found a good resource for it yet, though.

I don't think it's Elspeth on Swordwise Centaur though, because I think she became a planeswalker later in life and wasn't born on Theros.

The title "Champion of the Sun" was bestowed to many different heroes on Theros, always by Heliod. My guess is this is a past (or even future) Champion, though I could be wrong.

Came here to say that.

Psithief wrote:Elspeth's first planeswalk was at a young age and Theros is where she got Purphoros' sword from.

The following article doesn't really expand on it, maybe some books do?
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/A ... eature/301

Also: Blah blah blah wiki: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Elspeth_Tirel

She didn't stay very long. She got to Theros, met Daxos, picked up her sword, and planeswalked away.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 02 Jun 2014, 09:40

Yeah, the Uncharted Realms where Ajani was previewed has this little exchange:

"Brimaz said you spoke with human traders recently. Did you hear anything from them about a newcomer to their lands, a solitary woman who spoke strangely and carried a sword?"

Lanathos blinked.

"Of course I did. You just heard the story they told me."

Ajani's ears swiveled back of their own accord. Was the old human making a joke?

"I am looking for my friend," he said. "Not the Champion of the Sun."

"What makes you think your friend isn't the Champion?"

Ajani let his ears fall entirely flat.

"I heard stories of the Theriad the last time I was here," he said. "About the Champion training with the centaurs, and living among the leonin. My friend is here now, and she never did any of that."

"Ajani, you're speaking about the Theriad as though it were about a single person."

Ajani took a deep breath and let it out.

"Yes," he said. "I am. Remember, I am from a distant land. If I've misunderstood, please, explain."

"The Theriad is about the Champion of the Sun," said Lanathos. "But that's not a person. It's a title, bestowed by Heliod on a worthy mortal in times of great need. The story of the Theriad is the story of all of them, from the first, whoever that was, to the latest—the woman who slew Polukranos."
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 02 Jun 2014, 09:47

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't a Caryatid merely a statue of a woman being used as a pillar, and not a type of Nymph?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Jun 2014, 10:26

Bergie wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't a Caryatid merely a statue of a woman being used as a pillar, and not a type of Nymph?
That's how it used now, most commonly, but "carya" means "nut tree". Here's my reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Gre ... creature/5
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Jun 2014, 10:27

RE: Elspeth, maybe I misspoke, maybe she was there as a child, whatever.

None of that changes what I was talking about. Thanks though!
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 02 Jun 2014, 14:44

And Dionysus matches Xenagos pretty well. In Greek myth, Dionysus was the son of Zeus and a mortal woman, and only later became a god.

In addition, he's the god of madness. So not exactly a happy fun party either.
Steelwolf
First Video: Probably the very first Unskippable

Postby Steelwolf » 02 Jun 2014, 15:39

Loved the podcast! I have another theory about the Snake of the Golden Grove. It could be Ladon, the snake that was charged with guarding the golden apples of the Hisperades, which Heracles had to obtain for his eleventh labour. Mainly basing it on the fact that the snake seems to be going after Elmer who's nibbling at a golden apple.
Mperg76
First Video: friday nights

Postby Mperg76 » 02 Jun 2014, 18:16

natesnation
First Video: Lost Planet

Postby natesnation » 02 Jun 2014, 21:32

I'd just like to point out that whilst there's no Cat flavor to match with Brimaz, he is also a Soldier.

There was an article about the flavor in the set that mentions they tried to make a Leonidas card that made 300 tokens, and Brimaz was the end result, Leonidas being a catty sort of name.
ShadowChorus
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby ShadowChorus » 09 Jun 2014, 19:53

I am severely in hopes that the next top-down flavor-constructed block is based more on Norse myth, because I am just about as immersed in that as Graham is in Greco-Roman. Not to mention the awesome cards that such a block would offer. Scrying ravens to represent Huginn and Muninn, Gleipnir, fenrir's bindings that would basically be an arrest.

Great, now I'm nerding out.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 11 Jun 2014, 08:31

While Dryads and Caryatids represent tree spirits, Naiads were always water spirits, for example Thetis, Mother of Achilles, Oreads were mountain spirits, Echo being one of the more famous, Lampads were companions of Hecate and were associated with the underworld and Alseids were the Nymphs of Hills and Glens, generally found around mount Ida.

Also the Archetype of Endurance could also be the Calydonian Boar
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!

Return to “TapTapConcede”