TTC - Modern Master 2015 & Fate Reforged Spoilers

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - Modern Master 2015 & Fate Reforged Spoilers

Postby Graham » 21 Dec 2014, 14:26

Graham, James and Kathleen spend this week chatting about the upcoming Modern Masters 2015 set, GP Vegas and take a look at the first couple spoiled cards from Fate Reforged.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: TTC - Modern Master 2015 & Fate Reforged Spoilers

Postby mikeyjh » 21 Dec 2014, 16:23

Thanks for the video.
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 21 Dec 2014, 19:24

You guys don't seem to be in the know about this so I'll mention that Wizards were always going to change the art for Dark Confidant.

Invitational cards (should) only get the player's face in the art on their first printing. Those are the Wizard's rules (from the blog of Mark Rosewater).

This means we'll see new Snapcaster Mage art when it gets reprinted also.
I sure enjoy watching LRR!

I wouldn't want to meet them though. I'm very allergic to cats and fun.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 22 Dec 2014, 01:23

My guesses for Bolster cards in Fate Reforged:

1W - Bolster 1 - 2/1

2G - Bolster 2 - 0/2

I'm especially quite confident about the white one, it just seems like something white would do and getting a 3 power creature for 2 is not unheard of in white.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 22 Dec 2014, 05:08

Psithief wrote:You guys don't seem to be in the know about this so I'll mention that Wizards were always going to change the art for Dark Confidant.

Invitational cards (should) only get the player's face in the art on their first printing. Those are the Wizard's rules (from the blog of Mark Rosewater).

This means we'll see new Snapcaster Mage art when it gets reprinted also.

And this is evident by the new art invitational cards, like the Sylvan Safekeeper in CMD14, Dark Confidant in MMA and Shadowmage Infiltrator for the Cube on MTGO EDIT: Forgot Meddling Mage as well. If reprinted, they'll get a face-lift. (Unless there is extenuating circumstances, but that would then be unfair to the other invitational winners.)

Actually I think the only invitational card reprinted with new art of the winner was Voidmage Prodigy for the timeshifted special cards. But I believe that was done over dispute over how Kai Budde's appearance was incorporated in the art of his initial card in ONS block.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 22 Dec 2014, 11:28

Seasinger combos with Stormtide Leviathan? Probably still better "gotcha thing" cards.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Dandinstorm12
First Video: Sonic and the Black Knight Unskippable

Postby Dandinstorm12 » 22 Dec 2014, 13:34

This is a long one, sorry. As someone who does play Modern, they'd better print a way to at least cheat Emrakul into play, so cards like Into the Breach and Tooth and Nail. That being said, I hope there is a way to actually CAST Emrakul, the best way I can think of is the Urza Tron, which is in Modern because of 8th Ed. so maybe not. If Tron does get printed, (hopefully at common) than Karn and Wurmcoil should get reprints, also chromatic star and chromantic sphere. I'd like a pyroclasm reprint, I hope Bolt is getting reprinted, Goblin Guide seems likely, the cycle of manlands from Worldwake (Celestial Colonade etc.) Damnation REALLY should get a shot, hopefully (fingers crossed) Noble Hierarch, the Titans will be in there, infect will make a showing, which means maybe Skittles....maybe. Pod makes a lot of sense, Dismember and Mutagenic Growth and Probe, Batterskull, Elesh Norn (?) I hope Linvala is coming back. I think Terrastadon is also getting a reprint, and maybe Lodestone Golem. For planeswalkers Tezzeret, Karn, Ajani Vengeant, Garruk Wildspeaker and Koth, for archtypes (This is getting more and more speculative) Artifacts (Not affinity) Ramp, (Emradaddy doesn't make sense otherwise) Burn (?) Pod (Pod will need BoP) Elves (?) Goblins (?) Zoo (loam lion and kird ape and Wild Nacatle) I'd rather not see 8 Rack be a plan so please no Ensnaring Bridge.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 22 Dec 2014, 15:10

Poor Chris Pikula :)

Terastodon was just reprinted in conspiracy and commander 2014 so I don't think it'll be coming back again. Noble hierach would be great.
zombub
First Video: Friday Nights Commander one

Postby zombub » 23 Dec 2014, 08:29

A friend of mine is absolutely sure they'll reprint Mox Opal in MM2015, a sureness that's boosted by how badly he wants them
Jaktipe
First Video: Friday Nights - Jeskai Mysteries

Postby Jaktipe » 23 Dec 2014, 16:47

I have never wanted to shout through a podcast screen more than this podcast. "OUTLAST!" the new mechanic triggers OUTLAST. You don't play a 0/1 and make it a 1/2. Foolish mortals! You play a 0/1 with Abzan Falconer in play and you make Rhinos fly. Fly sweet Rhino! Fly!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 23 Dec 2014, 18:00

Jaktipe wrote:I have never wanted to shout through a podcast screen more than this podcast. "OUTLAST!" the new mechanic triggers OUTLAST. You don't play a 0/1 and make it a 1/2. Foolish mortals! You play a 0/1 with Abzan Falconer in play and you make Rhinos fly. Fly sweet Rhino! Fly!

(You have to bolster the creature with the lowest toughness)

Meddling Mage has actually been reprinted with 2 additional version of art. One of the them has only been used on the judge foil version.

Why yes, I am just using this post to brag that I have 2 judge foil Meddling Mages.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 24 Dec 2014, 00:06

Well, at least the promo looks a little like Pikula. More than the Alara version anyway.
swilensk
First Video: Friday Nights: The Return

Postby swilensk » 28 Dec 2014, 10:15

A lot of people are in outrage over modern masters 2015, I know I am. It feels like Wizards is talking out of both sides of their mouths on this one: "modern needs to be more accessible!" and "this is a limited print run with an MSRP of $10 a pack". These are two very conflicting statements as I doubt you'll be able to find a box of MMA2015 for under $450 starting price at an LGS, since the original MMA started at double MSRP. Also after the original MMA went out of print, prices of the important reprints returned to where they were in no time and in many cases increased. I think this video is spot on and people should definitely take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRZHXHtb0k

I would be interested to hear LRR's thoughts on the video, now I realize that you have a close relationship with Wizards of the Coast and I understand if your input can not be given but if it's possible, I'd appreciate it.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 28 Dec 2014, 16:31

The armour on Voldalian Soldier is a Manica, not a pauldron

Return to “TapTapConcede”