TTC 78 - Dragons Prerelease Report

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC 78 - Dragons Prerelease Report

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2015, 18:55

Graham, Cameron, and Adam are fresh from their DTK prerelease and give you the rundown of their decks and matches!
wizzerd229
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: TTC 78 - Dragons Prerelease Report

Postby wizzerd229 » 22 Mar 2015, 22:18

gatherer is broken right now, you cant vote on cards
I owe Graham a beer.

Zeke229 on twitch

ask me shit ask.fm/Zeke229

become my steam friend ( i dont multiplayer though ) http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zeke229

Pronouns They, their
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 23 Mar 2015, 02:13

Paul's Gatherer-fu during the show wasn't the best, as there are in fact a bunch more dragons that don't actually have Flying as an inherent ability - most have a means on the card to gain flying, and all of them have the word "flying" somewhere on the card itself, but not all of them are actually themselves capable of flight some or even all of the times.

1. Tek - a 2/2 artifact creature for 5 that gains a different bonus for each type of basic land you control, which "gets" flying if you have an island (and winds up a 4/4 flying first strike trample if you have the full domain).
    2. Hellkite Hatchling - only has flying if it devours a creature as it ETBs.
    3. Canopy Dragon - you can pay 2 mana to make this 4/4 green tramply dragon lose trample and gain flying until end of turn instead.
    4. Dragon Egg - when it dies you get a token that flies, but the dragon egg itself does not.
    5. Rakdos Pit Dragon - only flies until end of turn after a payment of RR.
    6. Mist Dragon - this one is bizarre, it doesn't actually start with flying but can gain (indefinitely) or lose (also indefinitely) flying for 0 mana (you can also pay 3UU to phase it out).

As for Gatherer, comments and ratings on cards have basically been completely broken since M15 (and spotty for a while before that) - there have been a few windows where people were able to actually rate cards intermittently which is why some cards from sets since then do have actual ratings (albeit non-statistically significant ones given the tiny number of votes), but other than that, using Gatherer for anything other than oracle text and rulings on newer cards is currently pointless, there's no discussion possible and all the ratings are meaningless.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 23 Mar 2015, 08:01

Ya, I was trying to do it quickly and just looked for dragon cards without "flying" in the rules text, but I forgot about cards that can be granted flying. It would be cool if Gatherer had a separate field for "keyword ability" that would autocomplete to just the official keywords (evergreen and set specific) and only check for inherent abilities. Unfortunately, I don't think that information is stored separately from the rules text.
Garbonzo42
First Video: Ransom

Postby Garbonzo42 » 23 Mar 2015, 09:39

Ojutai's Summons is definitely a card that gets better in multiples.

I pulled 3 in my Ojutai box, and being able to just bog down the board with a bunch of 2/2 flyers made a big difference in many games. I even lived the dream of casting it 3 turns in a row and ending up with all 6 at once.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 23 Mar 2015, 10:47

Was great hearing Adam on the podcast!
swilensk
First Video: Friday Nights: The Return

Postby swilensk » 23 Mar 2015, 12:52

I REALLY enjoyed having Adam on tap tap concede. I enjoyed his commentary and would like to see him on the podcast more.
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 24 Mar 2015, 21:07

I was under the impression that the ratings & discussion functionality on Gatherer was not broken so much as explicitly removed. There was a trailing period where a few people were still marked as logged in and thus able to vote, but that's since expired. So now we're just left with archived internet discussions to herald the glory of Storm Crow.

It was interesting to hear how well exploit was working for you guys. When I first heard of it, it seemed like it would require too much token generation to be useable. But from your stories, it's just recognizing when a creature from the early game isn't really that impactful anymore.

Return to “TapTapConcede”