TTC - State of Highlander

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - State of Highlander

Postby Graham » 19 Apr 2015, 10:31

This week on TTC Serge and Alex join James to discuss all things Highlander. From the basics, to cards from the past year that are making their way into the format.
Scrizati
First Video: Rare Book

Re: TTC - State of Highlander

Postby Scrizati » 19 Apr 2015, 12:20

Bonus links to things that were mentioned :)

Canadian Highlander Site: https://canadianhighlander.wordpress.com/
Victoria Highlander Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/288447914624649/
European Highlander: http://www.highlandermagic.info/
Viclander Blog: http://viclander.wordpress.com/
Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 20 Apr 2015, 02:24

Yay Serge! He's my favourite guest host on TTC! Probably because when Serge is on, there is surely interesting rules discussion to follow. : )
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 20 Apr 2015, 10:22

Just a minor note to James about Butcher of the Horde: from what I remember from listening to Constructed Resources, there was a pretty big period in standard where Mardu Midrange was rumbling on equal footing with Abzan Midrange. It was Butcher of the Horde vs Siege Rhino, Anafenza vs Goblin Rabblemaster, Abzan Charm vs Crackling Doom. These were questions people asked. I don't know what happened to Mardu after FRF, but that was the case for a large period of time in standard.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 20 Apr 2015, 11:12

Mardu kinda died in standard after FRF. I don't really know why, but I guess there wasn't place for two midrange decks in the meta and Abzan won. It may be because Mardu didn't really got to play with new toys like Taisgur or Ugin.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Garbonzo42
First Video: Ransom

Postby Garbonzo42 » 20 Apr 2015, 18:19

If you cast Dance of the Skywise on an Elusive Spellfist, would it get the +1/+0 pump + unblockable from the Spellfist's ability, and then immediately lose the unblockable to DotS "loses all abilities" clause?
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 22 Apr 2015, 12:39

Garbonzo42 wrote:If you cast Dance of the Skywise on an Elusive Spellfist, would it get the +1/+0 pump + unblockable from the Spellfist's ability, and then immediately lose the unblockable to DotS "loses all abilities" clause?

Yes. The Dance triggers the Spellfists abillity, which goes on the stack on top of Dance. The Spellfist gains +1/+0 and can't be blocked, then Dance removes the can't be blocked ability and the trigger (so if you cast something afterwards it won't trigger again) and makes it base 4/4 and gives it flying.
You end up with a 5/4 flying creature.

I'm not sure why that rules question was such an issue, BTW. The change to the "base power and toughness" template makes it clear that this does not negate things like auras, equipment and pump effects. They made that change precisely to make this type of situation less of a brain twister...
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 23 Apr 2015, 02:12

susu.exp wrote:Yes. The Dance triggers the Spellfists abillity, which goes on the stack on top of Dance. The Spellfist gains +1/+0 and can't be blocked, then Dance removes the can't be blocked ability and the trigger (so if you cast something afterwards it won't trigger again) and makes it base 4/4 and gives it flying.
You end up with a 5/4 flying creature.

Correction. Can not be blocked is not an ability of the Spellfist (the template there would be "and CARDNAME gains CARDNAME can not be blocked until the end of turn"), which means that it does not get removed by the Dance, because it's not a card ability at the point the Dance resolves. So you end up with a 5/4 Flyer that can't be blocked.

Return to “TapTapConcede”