TTC 83 - Crack-A-Pack Fest

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC 83 - Crack-A-Pack Fest

Postby Graham » 28 Apr 2015, 00:02

In advance of Modern Masters 2015, we're cracking some packs that are within the MM2015 window.
Kinbalk
First Video: Checkpoint S1E1

Re: TTC 83 - Crack-A-Pack Fest

Postby Kinbalk » 28 Apr 2015, 04:47

Everyone looks super uncomfortable with their legs open/exposed. (Especially Kathleen for obvious reasons)

Heads up: I was trying to figure out why the playlist and episode number is out of sync and on the youtube playlist for TTC, You have "Theorizing Mill" and "TTC 81 Mailbag" both listed twice but you don't have episode 52 "TTC - GP Portland Prep" in the list at all.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 28 Apr 2015, 05:51

Great episode, so glad you guys opened a knowledge pool because that whole discussion was hilarious, especially Cam's knowledge pool modern deck idea.

Love the new podcast set, it looks super good. From a practical standpoint though, wont the lack of a table make TTC more difficult, how will you roll the huge D20? Also no place to lay out cards from the crack a pack, or spread out cards when someone is showing off some kind of deck brew.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 28 Apr 2015, 06:23

I must disagree with the idea that Knowledge Pool is bad. In Limited? Sure. In Commander? Poor. In a random deck just for the sake of it? Nope. But building a deck around Knowledge Pool is utterly insane.

I know this after a friend, when I was just getting into Magic, played a deck with a full playset of Knowledge Pools. Pretty much the entire rest of the deck was ramp and a little searching. This meant the first pool came out on turn three, and I spent the rest of the game giving him all my cards, since he'd set up a creature base of ramp that was better than mine (for this reason, Knowledge Pool's main weakness is fast aggro). When the third Knowledge pool hit the table, and all six cards under it were land, the screwing got even more intense- because he controlled all three, he got to choose how to stack the triggers, meaning any card I played got routed into a pool of land only where it was immediately pulled out and replaced with some piece of utter garbage put in the deck for that exact purpose.

He has since taken that deck apart out of pure shame.

In short, Cam, go ahead with the deck idea. It will be beautiful. Your opponents will weep.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 28 Apr 2015, 06:48

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Knowledge Pool + Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir combo. It's a real pain in the ass both to play against and to explain how it works.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 28 Apr 2015, 08:28

There are actually a couple of 2-card locks with Knowledge Pool. Curse of Exhaustion, Teferi... I'm sure there's others.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
bigbasz
First Video: I can't remember

Postby bigbasz » 28 Apr 2015, 08:37

FYI: "Weiß-Schwarz" is German for "White-Black".
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 28 Apr 2015, 10:14

No one mentioned in the podcast nor here, but I think Paul's joke of briefly replacing the on screen knowledge pool with its chinese version was hilarious.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 28 Apr 2015, 11:17

You have a foil Spine of Ish Sah, Graham? WANT.

Seriously, why wasn't Knowledge Pool legendary? There was only one in the lore, and making it legendary would cut down on the shenanigans possible with it.

I wholeheartedly support James's plan at 59:59, because it involves burning Knowledge Pools, thereby reducing the number of copies in the world.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
Bratmon
First Video: Ways to make money

Postby Bratmon » 28 Apr 2015, 12:17

So the card you pulled in Project Diva had the powers of music and Japanese clothes. Having played that game, I'm forced to ask: what else could there possibly be? That's all that game has.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 28 Apr 2015, 13:46

I'm loving the new podcast set. I watch almost all of these (as opposed to merely listening) and there are so many cool things to notice in the background. Plus, the LRR blue chairs are so in flavor.
Kyran
First Video: Who watches movies?

Postby Kyran » 29 Apr 2015, 07:17

Knowledge Pool
Eye of the Storm

And then of course. Hive Mind.

Also of course, your commander is Sen Triplets

Let the games begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNyHark4xk
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 29 Apr 2015, 13:14

This podcost reminded me to preorder Modern Masters 2015. I really hope I score some really great cards, because that price tag hurt.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
T3HF1GM3NT
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby T3HF1GM3NT » 30 Apr 2015, 16:23

So I registered for the forums JUST so I can say to you guys that I actually won my Mirrodin Besieged prerelease (undefeated too) and I sided with Mirrodin. I did pull a Victory's Herald and a Sword of Feast and Famine though, so that helped :P Made a pretty sweet Mono-White Artifact deck. It was my first prerelease too :D I still have the decklist, here it is:

3 Ardent Recruit
3 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Victory's Herald
1 Kemba's Legion
1 Brass Squire
1 Training Drone
2 Bladed Sentinel
1 Peace Strider
4 Master's Call
1 Sphere of the Suns
1 Silverskin Armor
2 Viridian Claw
2 Piston Sledge
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
16 Plains
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 01 May 2015, 12:40

I didn't know about the Resounding cycle before, and it was so confusing when Resounding Roar came up on screen at first. In my mind, cycling is a cheap cost to push away a really expensive creature that you just don't need early game, so seeing it completely reversed was really disorienting.

Knowledge Pool strikes me as the kind of card that actually needs more constraints to be a better card. Limiting it to the player who cast it, or making things match mana costs, or the type of spell, etc... It also reminds me of the much maligned red Warp World style effects because everyone is getting everybody else's spells, but it's a colourless artifact that's thematically linked to Blue.

romangoro wrote:No one mentioned in the podcast nor here, but I think Paul's joke of briefly replacing the on screen knowledge pool with its chinese version was hilarious.
I'm almost certain that there was a joke in a Friday Nights involving someone using the Chinese text version of this card in their commander deck or something, and then they were told "I can't really remember what that card does. Can you look it up for me on oracle so I can read the rules text?" and after looking it up, responding "I still don't know what that card does."

But I can't find it, and the video is probably from late 2013
Bratmon
First Video: Ways to make money

Postby Bratmon » 04 May 2015, 19:59

Here's where the Japanese Knowledge Pool came from.

Return to “TapTapConcede”