TTC - MM2015 Full Set Reactions

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC - MM2015 Full Set Reactions

Postby James » 09 May 2015, 20:34

Join Graham, Kathleen, Cam and Serge as they dive into the full Modern Masters 2015 spoiler.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: TTC - MM2015 Full Set Reactions

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 May 2015, 21:27

Ugh, I wish the "Treat as though it were played from hand" hadn't been oracled out of Breath of Life. You could Entomb Emrakrul, Quicken, and Breath of Life and get an extra turn. Sadly it's just been oracled to return creature to battlefield.

EDIT: Also, I think I'm super greedy since I run all 10 guild Karoo lands in my 5 color Artifact Commander deck. They can really help and really hurt if one isn't careful.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 09 May 2015, 23:29

!Flush
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

KiwiRogue
First Video: Unskippable: Dirge of Cerberus

Postby KiwiRogue » 10 May 2015, 05:02

Currently listening to the podcast, but your quick guide to themes in Modern Masters 2015:

WU: artifacts
WB: spirits/arcane
WR: equip/double strike
WG: convoke/tokens
UB: proliferate
UR: elementals
UG: graft
BR: aggro/bloodthirst
BG: tokens/sacrifice
RG: domain/ramp

I am really excited for sealed/draft, there are tons and tons of neat, small interactions between various colours and cards.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 10 May 2015, 08:47

As excited as I am about MM2015, I'm also excited about that blanket Kathleen has. When will that be available in the store? ;-)
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 10 May 2015, 14:36

KiwiRogue wrote:*snip*
UR: elementals
*snip*

I feel like they missed the boat not including Ceaseless Searblade for the Elementals deck. I feel that between the various Flamekin and Air/Water Servant, the card was made for the archetype they were putting together.

That said, the existence of Changelings in this Modern Masters baffle me a bit. The last Modern Masters had a reasonably strong tribal component. (Giants, Fae, Gobbos, Rebels) Changelings let you stay open to a tribe, like taking Aven Changeling and being willing to go down the Giants path or the Rebels path. Here, there's only two supported tribes with no color overlap, so the only reason for Changelings is Soulshift for the W/B spirits deck [edit: or casting them off of Smokebraider]. (The blue changeling baffled me in the original Modern Masters for the same reason. If you're committing to a blue tribe, you only have faeries as an option.)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 10 May 2015, 21:30

So with no combo payload for splinter twin, I guess the plan is twin prime time to ramp emrakul?
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 10 May 2015, 23:21

Well the headset mics don't look as bad as I thought they might. Though I am wondering why you went that route instead of lavs?

I did have trouble listening to this weeks episode, Cam and Kathleen sounded fine but Graham and Serge were a hot mess kept having to fiddle with volume to keep from getting my ears blow out. ;-)
KiwiRogue
First Video: Unskippable: Dirge of Cerberus

Postby KiwiRogue » 11 May 2015, 02:43

VectorZero wrote:So with no combo payload for splinter twin, I guess the plan is twin prime time to ramp emrakul?

Or, slightly more reasonably, go either Blue or Green, prioritising ETB or Graft (for abusing abilities and adding counters to creatures you play that turn). Heck, if you want a fair version of the combo (not infinite, but repetitive), it's there somewhere.
DrDemento
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby DrDemento » 11 May 2015, 03:31

My friends and I proxy drafted this a couple times, and it was still a lot if fun. I drafted basically mono-green tokens twice, which was super sweet. My friend drafted a crazy Wildfire control deck though, and another got the Nameless Inversion-Spiritcraft loop going. There are some powerful synergies still available, you can still get that MM1 "Why are they still passing me this sick synergy deck" feeling.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 11 May 2015, 20:49

If I wanted to play reasonably I wouldn't spend $50 on a draft.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 12 May 2015, 07:19

"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 20 May 2015, 18:25

Cam needs to familiarize himself with the rules for divided-damage spells. Each target must be assigned at least 1 damage. So you can only blow up a max of 4 illusions with Pyrotechnics.

In the olden days, reanimate spells half the time went to white. (e.g. Alpha's Resurrection) Eventually, WotC was all like, "Oh yeah, black is supposed to be the color that's good at graveyard stuff." So they gave black more reanimation, and limited white's to small creatures.

Since the spark is tied to the soul, rather than the body or mind, it is incredibly unlikely that a planeswalker sliver would share its ability to planeswalk with other slivers. Still, though, a sliver going from plane to plane leaving its progeny scattered across the multiverse is seriously bad news.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*

Return to “TapTapConcede”