TTC 89 - GP Vegas Report

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC 89 - GP Vegas Report

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2015, 19:12

Graham, James, and Kathleen tell you all about their time at Grand Prix Vegas, and Graham's run at Day 2!
ferretbadger84
First Video: Friday Nights- It Resolves

Re: TTC 89 - GP Vegas Report

Postby ferretbadger84 » 10 Jun 2015, 20:16

Paul, I really like the relevant card name puns you display as people are talking.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 10 Jun 2015, 22:27

Grahams "sick voice", is a very resonant baritone. Similar to his "radio voice".
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Jun 2015, 03:13

Wait, THAT'S what Goyfgate was about!? The fact that a pro in the Top 8 is just like everyone else and picks a foiled Goyf because it's worth a lot?

I thought it would be something with the new packaging. This just sounds silly.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 11 Jun 2015, 03:47

RedNightmare wrote:Wait, THAT'S what Goyfgate was about!? The fact that a pro in the Top 8 is just like everyone else and picks a foiled Goyf because it's worth a lot?

I thought it would be something with the new packaging. This just sounds silly.

Yeah, Maynard kind of described it in his article as, "There are two camps of reactions here: professional Magic players, and everyone else in the world." Because the "pro" would take the Burst Lightning and it'd make his deck ever so slightly better and maybe that slight advantage would help him go all the way and net more money than a single card would be worth. But the foil Goyf ended up netting him more than the grand prize of the GP (even after he donated half to Gamers Helping Gamers), so he gets to have the last laugh.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
CleverCrumbish
First Video: The Arms Race

Postby CleverCrumbish » 11 Jun 2015, 05:54

This is the first I've heard of Goyfgate and it's honestly really confusing to me. As far as I understand it, making a pick that obviously "money drafting" if there's any intent behind it at all is "not done" as it were, and I can maybe get behind that if you're playing competitively, but if James and Graham are describing it accurately it sounds like people were acting as if Maynard had got away on coverage with breaking the rules or something. It seems, like, maybe a reaction is expected, but this is the wrong kind of reaction. Very weird. But then I don't follow competitive magic so maybe I just don't get it.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Jun 2015, 07:09

This was super loud. I had the youtube control set to 25% and my master volume set to 10% and it still peaked my headphones several times.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
DrDemento
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby DrDemento » 11 Jun 2015, 17:43

So I was also at GP Vegas. I didn't meet James, very briefly talked to Graham on Day 2, and chatted with Kathleen for awhile when she was trying to set up a commander game on Sunday (which I was unable to join).

What really got me though was that on Day 2, I made the exact same mistake where I just picked up my next pack and started looking at it. I realized what I was doing and called a judge, got it all squared away. Then like two picks later when I was idly looking around between picks, I saw Graham a few tables down making the same mistake I had just made, which amused me to no end.

But yeah, Day 2 drafting was much less stressful than I expected. In fact, all of Day 2 was less stressful than expected. I actually found my roommate for the night at my first draft table. 10/10 would Day 2 again.

P.S. Remember when the judge calling the second draft told us to pass the 2nd pack to the left? That reset my brain for a good 5 seconds.
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 12 Jun 2015, 17:54

So when they're calling drafts, how often do they remind you about how much time you have? An announcement that you have 30 seconds remaining doesn't seem helpful to me, only stressful because then I'm thinking about how much time I do or don't have. Even though I shouldn't need nearly that much time.

(The 10 second announcement is "Okay, just choose one" and getting ready to pass on the cards.)

Also, after that discussion on how messing with one Precursor Golem means that you're messing with ALL the golems, I wonder what kind of insane shenanigans you could get up to with cloning effects and Precursor Golem.
DrDemento
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby DrDemento » 12 Jun 2015, 20:40

Just a fun fact. The first kicked Rite of Replication you cast on a Precursor Golem results in 18 Golems. The second kicked Rite of Replication, is copied 6 times over, so you end up with 648 golems.

This may or may not have come up in a Commander game.
EternalGlory
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby EternalGlory » 08 Aug 2015, 06:34

In the episode you said someone cracked you for lethal by casting Spread the Sickness on your Rusted Relic when you had Precursor Golem out to copy it enough times to proliferate 4 times and kill your board? That shouldn't have worked. Since they targeted Rusty, the copies trigger and go on the stack above the original kill spell, and after they all resolve, unless you had metalcraft from other means, it's highly unlikely that good ol' rusty would still be a creature, and that original Spread the Sickness would likely be countered by the game and your opponent wouldn't have gotten a proliferate from that one. Not sure if it would have mattered, but just a heads up! #RulesGuy

Return to “TapTapConcede”