TTC 92 - Origins Planeswalkers

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC 92 - Origins Planeswalkers

Postby James » 29 Jun 2015, 15:37

Dan Emmons [Formerly of WoTC R&D] joins Graham, James and Cam on this weeks TapTapConcede to discuss the Magic Origins Planeswalkers
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Re: TTC 92 - Origins Planeswalkers

Postby theycallmejokke » 29 Jun 2015, 17:26

I haven't played Magic since Ice Age, put TTC is always such a blast.
This episode was particularly cool, what with Dan and Planesswalker design story time.

Also Dan petting Grahams head, I need a Gif of that. :D
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Garbonzo42
First Video: Ransom

Postby Garbonzo42 » 29 Jun 2015, 17:42

You don't even have to splash green to do Chandra's damage to a creature of your choice; Fall of the Hammer is still standard for a couple of months, and Tail Slash will be around for a yearish. Directed creature damage and an untap!

Thinking about it, would you have the opportunity to tap her to ping something, cast Fall of the Hammer to hit something else and untap her, and then ping again with the transform ability on the stack?
Last edited by Garbonzo42 on 30 Jun 2015, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowChorus
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby ShadowChorus » 29 Jun 2015, 18:30

I actually really like this Jace's ultimate ability. If it lives long enough to fire it, you fire it off and you've got all your mana up. Then you go "One mana blocker. Mill five. One mana card draw, mill five. Counter your burn, mill five."

You're adding a compound effect to -every- spell you play, creatures, counters, enchantments, etc. And that compound effect is potentially milling your opponent out of their gas and bringing them closer to decking. And if you're a tempo blue deck, you might be playing several of those in the rotation between your and your opponent's turn.

That said, that's just my view.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 29 Jun 2015, 19:03

Some minor errors:

Dan kept saying you get a free spell from Jace - You have to cast the spell, with all the costs associated with it.
Epic Confrontation, et al, can't flip Chandra alone - Her flip condition only checks when you use her ability, so you have to fight, and then, after she's done at least 2 other damage, her ability needs to resolve for her to flip.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 29 Jun 2015, 20:46

I dunno, the impression I always got from WotC was that since players enjoyed dual faced cards once they got a chance to actually play with them, the plan was to revisit DFCs the next time they were appropriate.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 29 Jun 2015, 22:48

Hehehe

It's funny watching you boys gush about Chandra, oblivious to the fact they've misread the card. (Chandra's tap ability can't target creatures.)

How do you guys keep making the same mistakes? :D
I sure enjoy watching LRR!

I wouldn't want to meet them though. I'm very allergic to cats and fun.
KiwiRogue
First Video: Unskippable: Dirge of Cerberus

Postby KiwiRogue » 29 Jun 2015, 23:16

To be fair, Chandra's effect takes like a dozen reads to get every accurate aspect. I doubt anyone got everything right on their first read. Very complicated. So, to be exact:

-Any RED SPELL untaps Chandra. So while green fight cards won't work, any burn or red creature will untap her.
-Chandra only targets players (unfortunately).
-Chandra transformation requires her to deal 3 damage. Period. I'm glad you caught the combat damage and fight damage (missed that aspect) will contribute to this.
-Additionally, that damage does not have to hit the opponent, say if they have Sylvan Carytid and block an attack, all you need to do is ping the opponent once more and she will transform.
-Finally, activating Chandra is the last step to transform her, so her ping will be the third or later damage she has done that turn.

::reads it again:: Okay, I think that's every bit about her. My favourite trick if I play with her in Standard will be to attack with her, deal two damage, then cast a second Chandra, and while on the stack, untap the first Chandra and ping the opponent to transform, leaving me with two Chandras on the field.

Really enjoyed the podcast guys, having Dan on made it quite interesting seeing a little bit of the behind the scenes in making the cards. However, I was wanting to hear your thoughts on the origin stories (might be best to wait until they're all out though I guess). Look forward to your next one.
ZZ9PluralZAlpha
First Video: 1st Commodore Hustle about magic?

Postby ZZ9PluralZAlpha » 30 Jun 2015, 09:43

I think there's one thing about the creature Nissa that wasn't menioned, possibly because the LRR guys were trying not to refer to the other spoiled cards in the set. While the other four are humans, Nissa is an elf, and something we have seen is some indication of elf tribal being a thing in origins, and not necessarily only in green.

Black elves, man. Got to watch the black elves. They will make your life a misery.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Jul 2015, 20:46

I feel like Jace is again a bland planeswalker.

Forget about the mind sculptor, just look at these 5 planeswalkers, Jace is the weakest.

Every time someone says "Jace seems weak" people respond with "Well its never going to be mind sculptor, that card is so busted that it ruined standard." yeah we get it the mind sculptor was amazing. Imagine a world without the mind sculptor and look at all the jaces compared to the ones they were in a set with.

M15 Jace was the weakest of the 6
RTR he was weaker than Vraska
M14 M13 M12 Jace is always the least of the planeswalkers. Sure you are going to be happy to pull it in limited and likely build your deck around it, but if you had your choice of any planeswalker in a set with jace and other walkers, you would pick the other walker.

It feels to me like this is reactionary similar to artifact creatures.

Jace the Mind sculptor was a bonkers card, as a result all future jaces will be nerfed a little, JUST IN CASE.

Artifact creatures were just TOO strong that one time now its a 2/2 for 3 or a 2/2 flyer for 4 4/6 for 6. Because remember when...
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 04 Jul 2015, 07:42

I think you are underestimating the older Jace's;
Jace, AOT saw more standard play than Vraska and stills sees modern play
Jace Memory adept also saw some standard play and is better than liliana dark realms, Chandra Firebrand or Sorin Markov.
I will agree with you that Jace, the Living Guildpact is bad but the others are not so bad as you make them out to be
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase

Return to “TapTapConcede”