The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 03 Apr 2012, 15:19

It's the stinger from Ash-Bullets and Wow-Butter.
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 03 Apr 2012, 15:42

Last PAX I picked up a playmat with this image on it stupid cheap on the the last day.

It's a lot darker on the mat, though.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Apr 2012, 19:12

DUDE! You got a playmat with a bard on it! I wants!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Apr 2012, 19:28

I've been recommended this site before, might be worth investigating.

http://www.inkedplaymats.com/products/custom-playmat
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Apr 2012, 22:04

$35 + Shipping just to play my vamps deck ontop of Alex Grays work? I think I'll pass.

Avayu
First Video: Unskippable: Metal Gear Solid Part 1

Postby Avayu » 04 Apr 2012, 08:24

So, a few days ago I watched one of the recorded LRR drafts on a whim, since I had a free hour and nothing better to do. About two hours later I had watched the whole thing and found myself really fascinated by all the strategizing and back-and-forth thinking. In conclusion, I'm thinking about playing again.

Now, I haven't played Magic for over five years and even back then it was probably more like children's Magic with far less depth. But I'd guess I still know the basic rules and ideas well enough. On the other hand, I have basically no idea what is going on wiht all these new cards.

Since I've got neither the time nor the people to play with in real life, I've looked into digital alternatives. I've played the Duels of the Planeswalkers demo for a little bit and it seems like a good way to get back into the game again, especially the ability to play against the computer, but the deck building seems to be very limited, which kind of takes the fun out of it. MtGO on the other hand seems a lot less casual and welcoming to new/returning players. (Also, it seems like it could get to my wallet pretty quickly, but that's just part of the game,isn't it?)

So, if someone would be willing to help me here, which of these is a better way back into the game for a returning player?
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 04 Apr 2012, 08:53

DotP is the best bet to get games in if you're on a budget. Most of the decks are good, some are better than most but if you just want to play a game it's best.

I've, thanks mainly to the drafting LRR crew, created a MTGO account and give myself a weekly budget, only for drafting. I've been able to pull a few mythics that I can sell for an extra game or two as well, so that helps, and I stick only to swiss so I can get games in, so it doesn't feel like I'm wasting 15 bucks on a single game.
@mhasko
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 04 Apr 2012, 12:37

I've been mulling over getting MtGO, since most of the people I play magic with live in other cities (my city is pretty devoid of geeks), but I can't really justify the cost since I'm kinda broke right now.

I think the best thing I did when deciding to play Magic was buying a couple treasure boxes from Cardhaus games (same place I bought my playmat). +850 cards from any and all expansions for 20 bucks. You're never gonna get any amazeballs cards, but it lets you make all kinds of decks without having to buy a hell of a lot else.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 04 Apr 2012, 14:40

No Geeks in Richmond? You are clearly in the wrong area. In my highschool there would be people sitting in the hall ways playing starcraft and magic. In the drafting room they set up a god damn ps3 to play every friday.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 04 Apr 2012, 20:04

Yeah, I'm in the ass end of it. The only things further south are farms and warehouses. When I was in high school (which was a few years ago, mind) pretty much all anybody did was play basketball or got stoned.
zukamori
First Video: Rejected Wii Games

Postby zukamori » 04 Apr 2012, 20:58

I find the hard part about Richmond is all the card shops closed down years ago
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 04 Apr 2012, 21:51

Yeah, the only place for years was Imperial Hobbies, which sucks balls. Now there's a couple of places at the malls that have opened up. One of which stocks Unhinged which makes me very happy.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 04 Apr 2012, 22:34

Recently core games inside Lansdowne.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 04 Apr 2012, 22:57

Assuming you're not planning on playing constructed tournaments, MTGO shouldn't cost much.

1. Getting the account $10, comes with a whole bunch of cards and a booster. (Which you should sell, trade or use to draft. Opening it is the lowest value.)

2. Go the trading section and search 'free' and find the (two at the moment I think) free card bots. Each gives out 64 commons which you choose from their selection. (Perfect for making pauper decks.)

3. (Optional) Go to mtgoacademy.com (who host some of LRR's drafts) and buy one of their packs. I got myself 100 elves for $5 and a couple of tickets that I will sink into their Budget_Bot.

4. (Recommended) Convince at least one or two of your friends to do the same, regardless of where they live. Then you can play whichever format you want with people who have the same means as you.

Drafting will obviously cost a bit more than that, so only do it when you feel you can spare the cash. But yeah, you're looking at between 10 and 20 dollars for fairly substantial number of cards to play around with.
Avayu
First Video: Unskippable: Metal Gear Solid Part 1

Postby Avayu » 04 Apr 2012, 23:25

Thanks, but I think I'll try DotP first. Seems like it would be a better start to get back in again before entering a more competetive scene. At least for now, I may look into MtGO once I'm more accustomed to all the newer stuff again.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 05 Apr 2012, 01:41

So guys, idea for a new deck! Let me just pull up the txt fi...MOTEHRFUCKERITDIDN'TSAVE!

4x Llanowar Elves.
4x Birds of Paradise.
4x Rampant Growth.
4x Manalith.
4x Mana leak.
4x Cancel.
4x Mycosynth Wellspring.
4x Runescarred demon.
4x Sorins Vengence.
2x Sheoldred.
2x Platinum Emperion.

4x Phrexian core.
4x Darkslick Shores.
4x Hinterland harbour.
4x Woodland Cemetery.
4x swamp.
4x island.
4x forest.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Apr 2012, 05:53

Run dissipate over cancel, it's helpful with all the flashback going around.

I'd also recommend Solemn Simulacrum over Mycosynth Wellspring. It's expensive, but the body really helps you stay alive.

Also, I don't really like Manalith, and you need removal, so I'd stick Doom Blades, Go for the Throat, Tragic Slip, or Dismember in it's place.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 05 Apr 2012, 07:07

Well yes, the Solemn would be a vast upgrade, but they're like $25 a pop, and I don't have $25 for one, let alone four. The Manalith is in there because I seen it's usefullness in what I guess you could call the original incarnation of this deck, back before we even knew what isd would look like. It's just too good for a tri-quad-prismatic deck. It allows me to deal with any colour I need multiples of, and only have one, which also allows me to run small numbers of certain lands, the original layout of this deck only had 2 swamps and 2 islands with 4 forrests. As for the removal, well I have enough ramp in there that I'm hoping to hit one of the creatures quick, if I don't then I am of course completely boned, and if nothing else I can runescarred for a sorins and just throw that out for a bonus 10 life.

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Apr 2012, 07:19

But if you don't buy them for extortionate prices, you'll send the sad robot into depression :(
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 05 Apr 2012, 21:18

I've been thinking about putting together another Commander deck. The only workable deck I've been able to make so far a B/R/G with Kresh, the Bloodbraided as my commander. It works fairly well, at one point I was at 68 life with Kresh sitting at 52/52, but then my deck just stalled, and I ended up losing. I think I was trying to do too much, which isn't surprising since black, red, and green are probably my favourite and most played colours.

Decklist is hyeah http://deckbox.org/sets/131345

Yes, I know Worldslayer is crap, but that plus predator ooze is a pretty hilarious win condition.

I've been looking around, and for my next deck I think I might go U/B/W with Sen Triplets at the head. Any suggestions?
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 05 Apr 2012, 21:58

Read my signiture, please...
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 05 Apr 2012, 21:58

Read my signiture, please...
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Apr 2012, 23:20

the_lone_bard wrote:Well yes, the Solemn would be a vast upgrade, but they're like $25 a pop, and I don't have $25 for one, let alone four. The Manalith is in there because I seen it's usefullness in what I guess you could call the original incarnation of this deck, back before we even knew what isd would look like. It's just too good for a tri-quad-prismatic deck. It allows me to deal with any colour I need multiples of, and only have one, which also allows me to run small numbers of certain lands, the original layout of this deck only had 2 swamps and 2 islands with 4 forrests. As for the removal, well I have enough ramp in there that I'm hoping to hit one of the creatures quick, if I don't then I am of course completely boned, and if nothing else I can runescarred for a sorins and just throw that out for a bonus 10 life.

Hey, Solemn is only 8 bucks a pop.

I actually got REALLY lucky with the one M12 box I bought, got 2 Garruk, Primal Hunters (1 foil!),a Chandra, a Jace, a Gideon (my fifth, already had 4 from RoE, so I traded it away for something awesome, I think it was a Sword of Feast and Famine), a Primeval Titan, 3 Solemns, 2 Phantasmal Images (and I opened a fourth Solemn in a draft).

I've actually had tons of luck with boxes in general. My 2 New Phyrexia boxes had 2 Sword of War and Peaces, 2 Elesh Norn, 2 Obliterators (1 foil!)

I bought 4 boxes of Innistrad, and walked away with 4 Liliana, 4 Garruk, 6 Snapcasters, and playsets of basically everything.

Also, I got all of my Scars dual lands when they were new and only like 3 bucks each (I had 8 Seachrome Coasts and 8 Darkslick Shores until I just sold my extra playsets of both for 100 bucks each.
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 06 Apr 2012, 00:12

Damn, you cleaned up. I thought I was lucky when I pulled 2 Drogskol Reavers from my DA fat pack. Oddly enough, even though I rarely do limited events, that's usually where I get my best cards. At the sealed tourney at Gottacon, I got a Sorin, Moonveil Dragon, Bloodgift Demon, and a Beguiler of wills. Ended up making a R/B/W Human sacrifice deck. I lost in the first round to spirit control deck but I still felt like I had come out ahead.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 06 Apr 2012, 02:02

What do you guys reckon?

20 Swamps

2 Blood Seeker
4 Bloodrage Vampire
4 Child of Night
1 Rune Scarred Demon
2 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Outcasts
1 Vengeful Pharaoh

2 Brink of Disaster
1 Consume Spirit
2 Diabolic Tutor
2 Doomblade
2 Hideous Visage
4 Mind Rot
1 Monomania
2 Smallpox
4 Sorin's Thirst
1 Sorin's Vengeance
4 Taste of Blood

I just basically stuck all the 2012 vampires and vampire-like spells I had together and filled out with a couple of big cards. If I get a Sorin Markov I may swap out Rune Scarred Demon.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”