The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby tak197 » 12 May 2012, 22:58

So yeah, my boyfriend gave me a whole set of stuff for the AVR release, including three boosters, the Angelic Might Intro pack, a box and sleeves, and my first play mat (I told him I loved how badass Avacyn looked in the art of her.) So I open my first booster, and I'm looking through, when I stop on a card, and nearly have a fucking heart attack. In the booster from the intro box, as the rare in the booster, is AVACYN HERSELF.

It gets better, because my bf waited to open his last AVR booster with me there (d'awww we are cyoot cupple). When he opens it, his rare? MOTHERFUCKIN' GRISSLEBRAND.

That's right, folks. In two boosters that we got from online, we managed to pull the legendary heroine and the legendary villain of the expansion.

What is this I don't even.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 13 May 2012, 00:37

Lord Hosk wrote:So I am running into the same problem now on MTGO that I have with real magic, people with more cards.

I am playing in the planeswalker format with the starter pack, when I play against someone else with similar cards im winning probably 3/4th of my games. Then I come across the opponent who based on the cards they play has purchased multiple copies of each of the planeswalker boosters.

If you are willing to put 10 times the money into the game as I do, you are going to win, why are you playing in the new player section.

Its not fun to loose to Lightning bolts volcanic hammers and a fireball.

I dont mind loosing it justs just frustrating the people that are buying wins in the new player area.

this is why you use MTGO to draft or play sealed. Limited cards.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 13 May 2012, 04:55

How much does it cost to play a draft in MTGO? I'm guessing you need to buy your own boosters and event tickets?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 13 May 2012, 06:21

In addition to drafting, I also want to use MtGO to play Momir Basic, but I just haven't gotten into it yet.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 13 May 2012, 06:24

Interesting that the best counter to Tamiyo is in fact Tibalt, released in the same set. Tamiyo builds card advantage like a beast, Tibalt one-hit kills you for it without her being able to respond.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 May 2012, 08:25

A standard MTGO draft costs two tickets plus 3 boosters, OR I think you can pay in just 16(?)tickets.

Option one
a ticket costs $1 and Boosters cost #3.99 so roughly $14.99

Option two
a Draft pack which is the two tickets and the three packs have a set cost of $14.97 on MTGO

Option three
you can buy from a vendor like MTGO Academy and the cost goes down they sell One DA and Two In for $10.90 and tickets are a dollar so 12.90

Option four
EDIT: the 14 tickets would be $14 from MTGO
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 14 May 2012, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 May 2012, 17:25

-redacted-
Last edited by Kapol on 13 May 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 13 May 2012, 23:48

I've always liked the undying mechanic, but never really had enough undying creatures to make an entire deck based on it. When my last DKA booster had a Flayer of the Hatebound in it I knew that would change, and then I drew a few good undying creatures from Avacyn...

So the new deck had it's first game today. It was a complete stalemate until turn 6, where thanks to lucky mana draws I was able to play the Flayer. Turn 7 I attacked with a Demonlord of Ashmouth and two Butcher Ghouls, all going unblocked because of flying and "I'll take even more damage if I kill your zombies and they'll just come out hungrier" respectively, doing 7 points of combat damage total. The demon was then Flung for an extra 5 points of damage, undying brought it back so that Flayer did another 6, and the Demonlord's forced sacrifice effect meant the undying Butcher Ghoul threw in an extra 2 points of damage. For those not keeping count that's 20 points total of lifeloss.

I like this deck.
ImageImage
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 14 May 2012, 00:33

Kapol wrote:*snip*

I'm not really good at judging cards on the whole since I tend to look at them and go "Oh cool, I could combine that with this..." or "hey, that'd fit well in the deck I made last week" and base my opinion more on that. The thing is that rares are almost always very good cards, they can just be very situational sometimes. Anyway, here's my brief and probably bad opinion.

Druids' Repository looks like very nice mana ramp in an aggressive deck, especially since it gives any colour mana. Not as great in slower decks, but I'm a fan of sources that store mana as well as producing it.
Primal Surge is damn pricey at 10 mana, but if you built a deck with very few non-permanents in it you could give yourself an unstoppable army in a single turn. You'd need pretty decent mana ramp to pull it off but- oh hello Druids' Repository!
Herald of war is cool for an Angel or Human tribal deck or an Angel/Human mixed deck, though at her mana cost she might come out a little too late to be able to charge up her ability very often.
I have a feeling Descendants' Path is going to be finding its way into every tribal decks that it can. The fact that I'm halfway through making a new Elf deck makes me wish I had a couple myself.
Infinite Reflection feels like a card that would be very powerful in the right situation, but I think it'll almost need to have the deck its in built around it before it'll work at its fullest potential. Still, put it on the right creature and things are going to get crazy.
I'd love to have a Malignus myself, but then I have a red elemental deck and almost always play in matches with 2 or more opponents which is where he is going to shine. Seriously, turn 5 (or sooner if things are going to plan) and he comes out as a 10/10?

EDIT: Aaaaand the initial post is gone now. Look at dackwards, talking to himself again. How's it going dackwards? Not bad, but you know you're not even talking to yourself now right? You're just typing out a moronic conversation that you're making up in your head. Hahaha, oh dackwards, you're such a kidder. No seriously man. Seek help. We're here for you. Oh... um... wow. This is... I just... um... Look over there, a distraction! *runs away*
... Did you just try to run away from yourself? Oh, well, er... Look over there, a distraction! *runs away*
ImageImage
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 14 May 2012, 08:21

Oh my god, Leviathan sucks so bad. Why do I have to sacrifice four islands every time I want to attack?

I had a ridiculous Momir game last night, where I had out a Leviathan, and my opponent had out a Progenitus. The game didn't last long after he got Progenitus out.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 14 May 2012, 11:40

In defense of Leviathan, almost all large creatures had a drawback at the time, and it was literally the largest creature in Magic at the time of its release, so it stands to reason that its drawback was going to be crippling.

Besides, the first time I saw the card, I thought "Oh my god it's a 10/10! That'll kill someone in two hits!" I skimmed over the rules text part. :wink:
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 14 May 2012, 12:45

Juliamon wrote:I did pull a foil from one of my Griselbrand packs, but I'm pretty sure it was just a swamp. I pulled two other foils but they weren't from Griselbrands. I guess it's possible that foils might be weighted towards Griselbrand in some batches?
It's probably all just coincidence... but perhaps more testing is in order. Y'know, for science. In no way is it an excuse to buy more cards, nope.
I will be sure to science the hell out of that when my AVR booster box gets here.

I might put it on my youtube channel, just so I can have a video on there.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 14 May 2012, 12:49

madAlric wrote:Oh my god, Leviathan sucks so bad. Why do I have to sacrifice four islands every time I want to attack?

I had a ridiculous Momir game last night, where I had out a Leviathan, and my opponent had out a Progenitus. The game didn't last long after he got Progenitus out.
I had a similar game, except I was able to get rid of it, because I had a Novablast Wurm that was able to attack first. When you can't stop global effects like that, then you're in the hurt locker.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 May 2012, 12:59

So I was wondering. Has anyone been fool enough to use Worldslayer without any form of protection for their own stuff?

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 May 2012, 13:49

:twisted: I just joined my first draft to see what it was like I got a pretty good red green deck with a splash of black for bump ;), I lost the first game in a close 2-1 I then got a bye, and... ANOTHER BYE! :evil:
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 14 May 2012, 14:05

Geoff_B wrote:So I was wondering. Has anyone been fool enough to use Worldslayer without any form of protection for their own stuff?
I did once, but that was because if I didn't, then a laboratory maniac would have won my opponent the game.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 May 2012, 14:20

Geoff_B wrote:So I was wondering. Has anyone been fool enough to use Worldslayer without any form of protection for their own stuff?

It's going into my new commander deck.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 May 2012, 14:45

dackwards d wrote:I'm not really good at judging cards on the whole since I tend to look at them and go "Oh cool, I could combine that with this..." or "hey, that'd fit well in the deck I made last week" and base my opinion more on that. The thing is that rares are almost always very good cards, they can just be very situational sometimes. Anyway, here's my brief and probably bad opinion.

Druids' Repository looks like very nice mana ramp in an aggressive deck, especially since it gives any colour mana. Not as great in slower decks, but I'm a fan of sources that store mana as well as producing it.
Primal Surge is damn pricey at 10 mana, but if you built a deck with very few non-permanents in it you could give yourself an unstoppable army in a single turn. You'd need pretty decent mana ramp to pull it off but- oh hello Druids' Repository!
Herald of war is cool for an Angel or Human tribal deck or an Angel/Human mixed deck, though at her mana cost she might come out a little too late to be able to charge up her ability very often.
I have a feeling Descendants' Path is going to be finding its way into every tribal decks that it can. The fact that I'm halfway through making a new Elf deck makes me wish I had a couple myself.
Infinite Reflection feels like a card that would be very powerful in the right situation, but I think it'll almost need to have the deck its in built around it before it'll work at its fullest potential. Still, put it on the right creature and things are going to get crazy.
I'd love to have a Malignus myself, but then I have a red elemental deck and almost always play in matches with 2 or more opponents which is where he is going to shine. Seriously, turn 5 (or sooner if things are going to plan) and he comes out as a 10/10?

EDIT: Aaaaand the initial post is gone now. Look at dackwards, talking to himself again. How's it going dackwards? Not bad, but you know you're not even talking to yourself now right? You're just typing out a moronic conversation that you're making up in your head. Hahaha, oh dackwards, you're such a kidder. No seriously man. Seek help. We're here for you. Oh... um... wow. This is... I just... um... Look over there, a distraction! *runs away*
... Did you just try to run away from yourself? Oh, well, er... Look over there, a distraction! *runs away*

Thanks for the opinion. The only one I had before was Harald of War (was the foil in my starter deck), so that one was a bit of a disappointment. It might not hurt to have two of her in there though. As for the others, they sounds like they can help me out a bit. I'm planning on building a deck with the cards I got in the boosters and see what I come up with for better or worse.

Also, keep talking to yourself. It's better then talking to someone who doesn't listen. :p
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 May 2012, 14:48

I want to get Avacyn out with Moonsilver Spear and Worldslayer. :D

"Oh sorry, I just spammed another angel. And I appear to be the ONLY person left with anything! "

dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 14 May 2012, 15:00

I've seen people combining it with indestructible stuff and the like for various shenanigans, but never without some way of coming out on top with it. Worldslayer is going to kick ass if you have Avacyn out. Actually... damn. I need toget one for my undying deck... trigger it with a Blood Artist, Flayer of the Hatebound and a couple of undying creatures - wipe the board, gain 1 life for every creature killed, do damage equal to the number of creatures that died plus the total power of all creatures of mine that bounce back, and be the only player with creatures left (all of whom have +1/+1 counters on them as a bonus). Excuse me, I have to go...
ImageImage
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 May 2012, 19:46

Momir Basic, Trench Gorger

That is all

[–]Graham_LRR
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 14 May 2012, 20:05

Lost to it?
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 May 2012, 20:09

nope, won with a 35 trample

[–]Graham_LRR
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 May 2012, 23:10

dackwards d wrote:

I've seen people combining it with indestructible stuff and the like for various shenanigans, but never without some way of coming out on top with it. Worldslayer is going to kick ass if you have Avacyn out. Actually... damn. I need toget one for my undying deck... trigger it with a Blood Artist, Flayer of the Hatebound and a couple of undying creatures - wipe the board, gain 1 life for every creature killed, do damage equal to the number of creatures that died plus the total power of all creatures of mine that bounce back, and be the only player with creatures left (all of whom have +1/+1 counters on them as a bonus). Excuse me, I have to go...

But you end up with no lands and no Worldslayer. With Avacyn this issue does not arise and you can just keep on wiping the board turn after turn :D

Although by that point the opponent is probably going to concede anyway so maybe this won't be such a problem.

dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 15 May 2012, 00:19

I'll grant you that the Avacyn combo is better, but it's nowhere near as spectacular as the undying one would be. Have a Demonlord of Ashmouth be your sword waver, with a Blood Artist, Flayer of the Hatebound and a Butcher Ghoul on standby, and it'll do 22 points of damage (plus an extra one for every other creature killed by sword-go-boom) and leave them staring down a 5/3 and a 6/4 flyer. If that's not enough for a win or scoop, you probably weren't going to win that game anyway. Besides, more importantly I have an undying deck and I don't have an Avacyn deck :D
ImageImage

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”