The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby guidance » 17 Jun 2012, 23:15

Kapol wrote:I had to think on it for a minute, but I think the combo goes like this:

Step 1: Use Lightning Bolt for damage to player or creature.
Step 2: Get Graveyard Shovel into play.
Step 3: Get Charmbreaker Devils into play.
Step 4: Use Graveyard Shovel to keep all spells and sorceries other then Lightning Bolt out of the graveyard.
Step 5: Use Lightning Bolt every turn due to getting it back every turn thanks to Charmbreaker Devils. The Devils also get +4/0 every turn thanks to it.
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit

Yup, he uses the graveyard shovel to to keep his graveyard in his favor. I am also getting DotP 2013, but I am tempted to see if there will be a steam summer sale for it (doubt it though).
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Jun 2012, 23:22

Kapol wrote:Personally, I plan on going to the pre-release. You get a card for going, and I want to try a sealed draft, which isn't something my store really does at all. Likely go to the release event too. From there, I think I might get a fat pack. maybe a repack of a booster box.

Has anyone bought a repack of a booster box? If so, was it decent? I'm considering getting one and not getting many (read: any) boosters. That should give me some decent rares, a few mythics, maybe a foil or two, and all the commons and uncommons I could need.

Don't get a repack. If you plan on getting a box, get a fresh one. They would only repack it after they opened it to take any good stuff out.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Jun 2012, 23:27

Volafortis wrote:Don't get a repack. If you plan on getting a box, get a fresh one. They would only repack it after they opened it to take any good stuff out.

It's also the difference between $100 for a box and $30-40. I dunno. I might try to save up and just get a booster box, skipping out on a fat pack instead. It just seemed like a repack would be the most cost-effective way to get some rares and the commons/uncommons I'd need. Oh well... we'll have to see.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Jun 2012, 06:09

If I understand repacks correctly, the store either gives a small discount to players are repacks everything they opened at prerelease or like Volafortis said, they open the packs, go to the back, put out the foil and the rare, if it has value they put it in a sleeve and put it in the case, if its a unplayable foil, or a 10 cent rare they put it back in the pack and put it in the box.

If it is the first, "everything from a prerelease 6 pack" and you trust your store to be honest, they are pretty much selling you new boosters which includes 120-150 lightly played cards. The store 45 minutes away does this for one of its events at every prerelease which draws in people who want to play but dont want to keep the cards. Everyone in that event turns in all their cards.

If its the second, you just finance them getting cards to sell in the case/on ebay and get a pile of commons and uncommons.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 18 Jun 2012, 11:01

So Kapol, what's your steamID? I didn't see a friend request or a PM on the boards, so I figured you didn't add me yet. Also would be up for some 2012 matches if you were game for it.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 18 Jun 2012, 17:18

So I decided to list my Black/Red Vampire heavy deck because I wanted some advice from you guys on it:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=351704

Simply put, tell me what I'm doing right, tell me what I'm doing wrong, what to keep, what to remove and whether or not this deck can survive going solo or if it's better suited for multiplayer.

I know the deck is looking extremely low on low cost opening creatures, which I could attempt to rectify with more Typhoid Rats or Stromkirk Nobles... But I believe that means I sacrifice having more of the high strength/stacking creatures. I can thankfully toss the Bloodflow Connoisseur's for the Nobles or Rats or SOMETHING else of a low cost. But I wanna keep it heavy on vampires and/or creatures that would work with/serve vampires.

I wanna keep this a theme deck without sacrificing its strength. So help me out with doing that and tell me if there are some essential cards I might be missing or if I need to swap out some stuff from my sideboard, either remove entirely or add to the sideboard, into my main deck.

EDIT: Crap, one last thing, deck needs to stay standard and not use anything from outside the Innistrad Block.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Jun 2012, 18:49

I would take out the Bloodflow Connoisseurs, maybe a second stormkirk Nobel 1/1 for 1 with the vamp trait and unblockable by humans is really good, he is awesome as a turn one play, but he is still good later especially against white.

I have found that Bloodcrazed Neonate is only good on turn two and only if they dont have a creature down, otherwise it trades or just dies. The only way I like it is turn three, with a furor of the bitten on it.

Also furor of the bitten is sweet its +2/+2 and you have to attack for 1R and Havengul Vampire would be a good cards for your deck anytime ANYONE dies, you get beefy. Maybe even a couple of pillar of flames just to be able to get your vamps first hit in.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jun 2012, 19:23

@Kyogissun: What does your deck building budget look like, are you able to pick up a few more rares, or are you pretty locked into playing commons/uncommons?
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 18 Jun 2012, 19:59

Volafortis wrote:@Kyogissun: What does your deck building budget look like, are you able to pick up a few more rares, or are you pretty locked into playing commons/uncommons?

I have no problem dropping more cash on cards, as long as they are within the 1-5 dollar range and/or are cards that will give a significant boost to my deck and can hold their own or be 'trump cards'.

I'm definitely planning to buy another noble. Essentially, as long as the TOTAL of the cards I need doesn't break 20 bucks, I'm happy. If you can work a budget, that's great, if not, I'll take notes from a little bit of everything and mix it up.

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jun 2012, 21:06

Alright, well, another Stromkirk Noble is definitely good, and if you're set on nothing outside of Innistrad block, I'd make the following changes.

The deck is currently really light on removal, your best options in Innistrad are Pillar of Flame and Victim of Night. I'd also recommend tossing some Brimstone Volleys into your sideboard (for matchups when you can't use Victim of Night.) Tragic Slip may work better than Victim of Night for you. It all depends on what kind of decks/card see play against you. If you find you're up against a lot of 1-toughness cards, replace Victim of Night with Tragic Slip in the list below.

(Note: Victim of Night will play somewhat poorly without dual lands. If you're willing to break into the core set, I'd at least supplement Evolving Wilds with Dragonskull Summit.)

I'd take out 4 basic lands, and put 4 evolving wilds in. The mana fixing is really good.

Vampire cards are naturally high power/low toughness in Innistrad, so first strike is really good. I'd recommend Hanweir Lancer. It plays into a strong ISD block B/R vampire curve, acting as additional Stromkirk Captains.

Lightning Mauler is a decent 2-drop as well, Falkernath Aristocrat (recommended below) already has haste, but it plays well, and can pump Falkenrath Aristocrat.

Now you want some aggressive bodies to flesh out the curve. Bloodcrazed Neonate is great if you can consistently give it first strike.

Falkenrath Aristocrat is a great 4 drop that will work wonders here, it's a mythic, but it only costs 3-4 bucks. It also protects itself well, and with the few soulbond humans I'm recommending, you can even pump it on occasion.

The curve is pretty light on one-drops. You don't have too many great options in vamps, but Diregraf Ghoul is quite aggresive, but without any dual lands or manafixing coming in untapped turn one, it's tough to recommend this, when Noble is so much better turn one. Still, it's not bad to consider, and I'd also play a couple Stonewright, as firebreathing can be quite potent.

In the end, I'd probably end up with a deck like

4x Stromkirk Noble
3x Diregraf Ghoul
2x Stonewright
3x Bloodcrazed Neonate
3x Vampire Interloper
2x Lightning Mauler
4x Stromkirk Captain
3x Hanweir Lancer
2x Hellrider
3x Falkenrath Aristocrat

4x Pillar of Flame
2x Victim of Night
2x Brimstone Volley

1x Stensia Bloodhall
4x Evolving Wilds
9x Mountain
9x Swamp

Sideboard:
2x Brimstone Volley (to replace Victim of Night when it doesn't work)
2x Curse of Death's Hold (when you're up against any deck running Lingering Souls.
3x Blood Artist (if you're in a matchup against Zombies, or some other aggro deck, this will help you come out ahead)
2x Demolish (Core set options, like Shatter or Manic Vandal are better, but in Innistrad block, this is decent, as it hit utility lands and artifacts)
2x Sever the Bloodline (kills tokens, as well as being a catch all spot removal. Good against decks where it's good, you'll just have to do some playtesting to see when the time comes to put it in)
3x Torch Fiend (A much more synergistic option to remove artifacts than Demolish.)
2x Zealous Conscripts (Great against control, can steal planeswalkers or Titans.)

The main deck is the main chunk I'd work on getting. If you need to cut some cards for budget, cut them from the sideboard, because the sideboard options you get by limiting to Innistrad block are mediocre, in general.

While you could certainly find better cards for certain spots by branching into different sets, this should treat you reasonably well as a budget Vampire list.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 18 Jun 2012, 21:20

Alright, I'll get to work on that main deck there. May have to wait until wednesday to see what I have from there... Assuming I don't get TOO absorbed into DotP 2013, but will then pick up other cards from my card shop on friday. I've already got ONE hellrider and I'm sure I've got plenty of those 2R1U human soulbinders that give First Strike.

Thanks for the advice. While the Diregraf Ghouls ARE pushing it with my theme of 'vampires keeping the balance' theme (much like the bloodflow connoisseurs were) I can just easily say they're servants to the vampires or something stupid.

I know it may seem weird to care about making my deck seem all lore accurate/logical for the Innistrad Block storyline, but I like the lore for the MtG universe as a whole and try to play around it. Probably gonna do the same for Ravnica.

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jun 2012, 21:27

Kyogissun wrote:While the Diregraf Ghouls ARE pushing it with my theme of 'vampires keeping the balance' theme (much like the bloodflow connoisseurs were) I can just easily say they're servants to the vampires or something stupid.

I know it may seem weird to care about making my deck seem all lore accurate/logical for the Innistrad Block storyline, but I like the lore for the MtG universe as a whole and try to play around it. Probably gonna do the same for Ravnica.

Actually, it doesn't seem weird at all, I did it a lot when I started playing too :)

If it makes you feel better, on Zendikar, Vampires had Zombies as slaves. See Mindless Null.

Sorin created the vampire bloodlines on Zendikar, so it actually isn't a stretch at all flavor-wise to think of the Ghouls as slaves.

Also, even if you can't get all that you need right away, I find it's always nice to have a "goal decklist" to work toward.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 18 Jun 2012, 22:34

So, I had a blast playing some DotP 2012 with Kopal tonight. Was hoping some more of ya'll might be planning to pick up 2013 on steam.

May be willing to gift a copy of the game to someone who'd be available on a somewhat frequent schedule or at least be available for a once/twice a week game night that ISN'T friday night.

BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 19 Jun 2012, 01:02

Since R/B Vampires was mentioned, figured I would post my build here as well.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lineage-of-flames/
Been working on that for a while, took some advice from a bunch of really good players at a recent FNM. Looking for more ideas, though. I want to keep the creatures in Vampires whenever possible, I just keep the Vexing Devils around to put on early-game pressure.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
vazhkatsi
First Video: lrr rap

Postby vazhkatsi » 19 Jun 2012, 20:05

just played a blue-black control deck, guess he's the one that grabbed all those cards, because none ever got to me. so frustrating when everything you play dies, and then you just draw useless mana once your hand is empty of useful stuff.
Vazhkatsi- Devils Advocate
Devils Avocado
Tall Dude
Hoopy Frood
Chillie
First Video: The Job

Postby Chillie » 20 Jun 2012, 02:30

This thread is so big and scary...
Has anyone posted the .psd's for the card templates?
vazhkatsi
First Video: lrr rap

Postby vazhkatsi » 20 Jun 2012, 11:42

so... DOTP 2013 is great, but planechase is so frustrating. whenever we walk to a plane thats useful to me, by the time its my turn, its shifted again to some other annoying plane
Vazhkatsi- Devils Advocate
Devils Avocado
Tall Dude
Hoopy Frood
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 20 Jun 2012, 12:08

vazhkatsi wrote:so... DOTP 2013 is great, but planechase is so frustrating. whenever we walk to a plane thats useful to me, by the time its my turn, its shifted again to some other annoying plane

Tends to be the case with Planechase. Lots of times just when you're ready to take advantage of it, it gets changed. Kind of is why I prefer a more 'friendly' planar deck like the Savage Auras planar deck.

Have you added me and Kapol on Steam yet? We're gonna be playing a Planechase game later tonight, so while it may end up being a lengthy game, at the least it will be a fun and challenging game.

Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 20 Jun 2012, 15:04

Any thoughts on which is the best platform for DotP 2013. I have 2012 on PS3, but the iPad app looks so nice, I just don't know. And I kind of don't want to buy it more than once.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 20 Jun 2012, 15:06

James just posted this on twitter. its fucking hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uFhD4rnxM&feature=player_embedded
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Jun 2012, 15:08

Well, it depends on if you plan to get the card that comes with each version and, if so, which color you want to get. I haven't heard much about the Ipad version, but I'd expect it'd be the same as the others. So that might be best due to portability. And if you don't plan on getting the free card, you could always give your code to me. :p

Lemegeton wrote:James just posted this on twitter. its fucking hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uFhD4rnxM&feature=player_embedded

Just started watching that and... the dice and sleeves he shows are the same kind I have. Though the dice are different colors, the sleeves aren't. >_>
BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 20 Jun 2012, 21:04

I got DotP on Steam, and I have to say I'm kind of irritated that the promo card that Steam/iPad users get is... well to be frank, the least useful one of the bunch. I have both a black vampire and green stompy deck, so I could use both Primordial Hydra and Vampire Nocturnus (who I was going to buy anyways), but I have no real use for the Serra Avatar. I guess if I make a heavy lifegain build it could work, but still... -sigh- Free cards is still free cards though, can't really complain.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Jun 2012, 02:39

So, I played a game of planechase against the AI. It took at least a half hour, closer to 45 minutes. Only had three lands until turn... eight or ten or so. Was using Ajani's Lifegain deck. Ended up winning with over 300 extra life. One of the phenoms happened, bringing back all creatures from the graveyard... which included my Ajani's Pridemate and a creature that gave 1 life every time a creature came onto the field. So my Pridemate came in as a 33/33 and I gave it the equipment that gives it lifelink and deathtouch, then gave it a Loxodon Warhammer. Also had another creature that doubled all life I gained. So... yea. I went from being destroyed to dominating everyone. Which is something common in Planechase I think.

BlitzRunner27 wrote:I got DotP on Steam, and I have to say I'm kind of irritated that the promo card that Steam/iPad users get is... well to be frank, the least useful one of the bunch. I have both a black vampire and green stompy deck, so I could use both Primordial Hydra and Vampire Nocturnus (who I was going to buy anyways), but I have no real use for the Serra Avatar. I guess if I make a heavy lifegain build it could work, but still... -sigh- Free cards is still free cards though, can't really complain.

I'm the opposite. I can use the Avatar, but can't use the Nocturnus (mind you, I still want to get a copy).
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 22 Jun 2012, 14:17

Is anyone going to the Vancouver Grand prix tomorrow? Are you allowed to watch in that event, cause I have no intention of playing but I want to watch my friend attempt to beat everyone.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 22 Jun 2012, 16:36

Volafortis wrote:
Kapol wrote:Personally, I plan on going to the pre-release. You get a card for going, and I want to try a sealed draft, which isn't something my store really does at all. Likely go to the release event too. From there, I think I might get a fat pack. maybe a repack of a booster box.

Has anyone bought a repack of a booster box? If so, was it decent? I'm considering getting one and not getting many (read: any) boosters. That should give me some decent rares, a few mythics, maybe a foil or two, and all the commons and uncommons I could need.

Don't get a repack. If you plan on getting a box, get a fresh one. They would only repack it after they opened it to take any good stuff out.
Repacks aren't really great, but sometimes you can get some good stuff out of card lots. If they don't advertise what they have, and in particular if they say they think it's old stuff that was someone else's there's a chance to pull some great stuff out of it.

I managed to pull a lot of good stuff out of a lot I got. I ended up pulling 14 or 15 dual lands, a maze of ith, a pair of Karakas, and some other good stuff too.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”