The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby DuelLadyS » 07 Oct 2012, 20:14

Yaxley wrote:Any equipment that increases a creature's power. Like any of the swords, Umezawa's Jitte, Loxodon Warhammer, things like that.

*takes notes* OK... I think I've got a decent plan to start with, anyway...

Lord Hosk wrote:(lude comment)

50 bump in the nights 4 rancors and a fancy dinner.

Duckay wrote:I do occasionally trade planeswalkers for sexual favours. I don't know if that helps you out, though.

While that's a lovely idea, Magic is Serious Business for Dan, so it's usually just cards for cards. The end trade was a Hinterland Harbor, 3 Rancors, and a Sol Ring. I know I techincally lost value there, but I can use all those cards. Plus, this is the guy who bought me a holofoil Ajani, Caller of the Pride just becuase I brought it up at the LRR PAX panel. I can cut him a deal.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 07 Oct 2012, 21:33

My last 3 boosters (all Innistrad) have yielded an Unbreathing Horde, Grimgrin, and a Rooftop storm. Add those to my 4th Endless Ranks and an Undead Alchemist from the day before, and I'm starting to think I should build a zombies deck.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
LackingSanity
First Video: One of the Unskippables, I think.

Postby LackingSanity » 08 Oct 2012, 21:44

AzureAngel17

Postby AzureAngel17 » 08 Oct 2012, 22:36

Dreadbear is fantastic. If any of my playgroup needed bear tokens, I'd print that one in a heartbeat! (Also, thanks for reminding me to find DKA Vampire tokens.)
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 09 Oct 2012, 01:19

Jace Bearelen is pretty good too, but I'm going to agree with dreadbear being the best.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Oct 2012, 08:37

My AVR tokens, I actually played the angel and both humans.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 09 Oct 2012, 21:19

I found this at my LGS, and the owner gave it to me for free. It's my token for everything (I use dice to show how many tokens I have).

It's quite clearly a duck.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 10 Oct 2012, 03:44

I once made a pile of OotS tokens for my collection:

ImageImageImage

I've got a bunch of humans, soldiers, an angel, and a few other miscellaneous things... I still need to get around to making some spirit tokens though, then I'll have tokens for everything I can pump out with my (pre-RTR) BW tokens deck. Though, that deck is probably going to look very different once I start putting RTR stuff in it, which I haven't gotten around to yet...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 11 Oct 2012, 09:38

I have been slowly tweaking my Kresh EDH deck. It's a devouring monster bonanza! I finally found my Thromok the Insatiable and threw it in for good measure. Combine that with the Corsejack Menace I pulled yesterday from the R2R and Thant's one bad Hellion!
(Corpsejack basically doubles the devour value for creatures which is f***ing sweet. :D )
^( " )^
winner!
AzureAngel17

Postby AzureAngel17 » 11 Oct 2012, 09:58

Thought I'd just drop this Community Cup stuff here for anyone who hasn't heard yet. I think this means that no matter which team loses, LRR already won.
Formats

• Return to Ravnica Sealed
  • Cube Draft - With a cube list yet to be announced!
  • Ravnica Unified Constructed – This is a constructed format using cards from the original Ravnica block (Ravnica, Guildpact, Dissension) and Return to Ravnica
  • Multiball Wacky Draft – This will not be part of the central events, it is a side event of sorts. It is a zany draft format where drafters are required to follow specific rules as defined by our friends over at LoadingReadyRun. More will be shared about these down the road.
All matches will be played using the new Magic Online client currently in Wide Beta!

The Stakes

If the Community Team wins, all players who log in to Magic Online during the Community Cup (between the downtime on Wednesday October 24 and Friday October 26 at 5:00 PM PT) will get one entry into a draft queue.

Source.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Oct 2012, 13:44

ok... every drafter picks a color, a card type type and a CMC.

After they have been selected, a 20 sided spin down counter will be rolled for each of the three. Odd- Can not pick selected, Even- MUST pick selected if available.

For Example:
James Selects Black, Enchantment, and 4. the rolls are 3, 6, 12
James, Can not pick Black cards, Must pick enchantments, and must pick cards with a CMC of 4.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 11 Oct 2012, 20:12

Lord Hosk wrote:ok... every drafter picks a color, a card type type and a CMC.

After they have been selected, a 20 sided spin down counter will be rolled for each of the three. Odd- Can not pick selected, Even- MUST pick selected if available.

For Example:
James Selects Black, Enchantment, and 4. the rolls are 3, 6, 12
James, Can not pick Black cards, Must pick enchantments, and must pick cards with a CMC of 4.
What happens if you end up with a card that you can't pick that's also a card that you must pick?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2012, 20:26

You tear it in half.
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 12 Oct 2012, 07:42

Kapol wrote:You tear it in half.
I think that would terrify most sane players. It sounds like fun.

Come on odd for planeswalkers, and even for blue. I want to watch someone shriek when I rip Jace in half.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Oct 2012, 13:03

Sub Rule A: If a card is both a must pick and a can not pick, you must tear it in half vertically take left half and pass the right half.

Sub sub rule 2. That card is still legal to play.

Sub sub rule a. 1/2 Creatures have 1/2 their normal power and toughness
Sub sub rule b 1/2 planeswalkers have 1/2 their normal loyalty.
Sub sub rule c. 1/2 instants can only be cast as sorcerys
Sub sub rule d. 1/2 sorcerys can only target your creatures or your opponent.
Sub Sub rule e. 1/2 Enchantments are randomly attached based on a die roll where each valid target is assigned a number by the player with the highest number of vowels in their first name at the table nearest to the opponent of the player casting the enchantment.

[–]Graham_LRR
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 12 Oct 2012, 18:06

vxicepickxv wrote:
Kapol wrote:You tear it in half.
I think that would terrify most sane players. It sounds like fun.

I know it's SUPPOSED to be it's purpose, but I did this with a Chaos Confetti back in high school. Diced it up, tossed it in the air, and killed everything but my land and one of my opponents' monsters. It was the talk of the Magic group for the rest of the year, and is still occasionally brought up every so often.
Credit to Foxmar
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Oct 2012, 20:44

They should put the un decks on mtgo, it would just be crashed for a year

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Oct 2012, 21:29

Also, Dear Wizards, I want my ramp and shocks back... you can keep all that other standard stuff, I just want ramp and shock.

[–]Graham_LRR
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 13 Oct 2012, 19:49

So, I kinda had a rough day at my meet, so I bought some packs on the way home to try and get some inspiration for a new deck. Out of three packs, I ended up pulling Jarad, the Golgari guildmage, two O-rings, a bunch of other utility cards, and a swear-to-gd-real Ajani caller of the Pride!! I'm thinking of taking advantage of this and making black-green ramp. I'll post the deck list when I'm done. Anyway's, turned my day around real quick!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Oct 2012, 20:02

I went 0-4 Friday. :( I always got too mana-screwed to do anything. Always ended up with two mana until like two mana when I need three. Which is weird since I've got 23 lands in a 65 card deck.
John North
First Video: ISC

Postby John North » 14 Oct 2012, 02:02

Kapol wrote:I went 0-4 Friday. :( I always got too mana-screwed to do anything.

I know the feeling, same thing happened to the Rakdos deck I drafted at FNM a few days ago.
Picked up two Blood Crypts and a Cryptborn Horror though so my standard deck is almost complete.
Just need to order the Innistrad block cards and it should be ready for the end of the month Standard FNM.

2x Rakdos, Lord of Riots
4x Cryptborn Horror
4x Vexing Devil
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Thrill-Kill Assassin
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Splatter Thug

4x Deviant Glee
4x Brimstone Volley
4x Bump in the Night

4x Blood Crypt
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Rakdos Guildgate
5x Swamp
5x Mountain

Player of a bit over a month so no idea what the MTG meta is but I've been set on playing a Standard Rakdos deck since the RtR pre-release, though seeing a Zombie/Rakdos aggro deck in action before the FNM made me rethink my plan of not buying any cards from before M13.
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Oct 2012, 05:52

I really dont like drafting return to Ravnica, everyone seems to be in three colors in the first 5 picks, and are often looking at a splash in pack two or three.

[–]Graham_LRR
John North
First Video: ISC

Postby John North » 14 Oct 2012, 07:24

I think that may be from people drafting with a bit more greed than the set itself, the one I drafted last friday was a solid deck with a few bombs and a good low curve. I just got shitty draws and boned on having to much or to little land.

The nature of the block means that you will be two colours most of the time but going over that just feels like a bad idea, unless you get two Chromatic Lamps and an ass ton of gates .
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
AzureAngel17

Postby AzureAngel17 » 14 Oct 2012, 08:50

Drafting a specific guild is very doable and will probably stay that way for Gatecrash, but when it's Ravnica-Gatecrash-Sinker, you'll probably want to be playing 3 colors (and the 3 guilds included) almost every time.

As for mono-color, that's probably a bad idea, but I'm sure James & Graham will try it at some point.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Oct 2012, 13:00

John North wrote:I know the feeling, same thing happened to the Rakdos deck I drafted at FNM a few days ago.
Picked up two Blood Crypts and a Cryptborn Horror though so my standard deck is almost complete.
Just need to order the Innistrad block cards and it should be ready for the end of the month Standard FNM.

Well, the worst time was when was (in order):

1x Descendants' Path
1x Avacyn
1x Forest
4x Somberwald Sage

I drew four of the sages in a row. Had I got a land instead of the Path, I would have kept it too.

Player of a bit over a month so no idea what the MTG meta is but I've been set on playing a Standard Rakdos deck since the RtR pre-release, though seeing a Zombie/Rakdos aggro deck in action before the FNM made me rethink my plan of not buying any cards from before M13.

Honestly, seeing how absurd black and B/R aggro decks are in the new standard, I don't blame you. One person I played had three 2/2's out on turn 2. Then a blood artist and a gravecrawler the next turn.

Lord Hosk wrote:I really dont like drafting return to Ravnica, everyone seems to be in three colors in the first 5 picks, and are often looking at a splash in pack two or three.

Both times I've drafted, I've gone with two colors. More specifically R/U. My first deck had a win condition that I think Graham and James would have been proud of... namely two of the Azor's Eleocutors. The worst part was I was one turn off from filabustering for a serious win, but the card I needed was the next I would have drawn instead of the one I did.

John North wrote:I think that may be from people drafting with a bit more greed than the set itself

I disagree that it's 'greed.' I prefer drafting with sets there are cards I want from. It seems foolish to draft from something that doesn't really have anything you want. Even if the card won't neccessarily help my draft deck, if it can help my main deck (or is worth a bit of money/trade), then I'm happy even if I lose.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”